Sponsored

Does the Gladiator seem just 'meh' to anyone else?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
We actually have a JKU and a JL. The JKU is nice for longer trips and vacation just because of the extra room. But I do have him (hubby) talked into "allowing" me to take out the back seat now;). I say "allow" because I like to let him believe it's all his idea:like:
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
We actually have a JKU and a JL. The JKU is nice for longer trips and vacation just because of the extra room. But I do have him (hubby) talked into "allowing" me to take out the back seat now;). I say "allow" because I like to let him believe it's all his idea:like:
My wife and I have been talking about removing the rear seat of our JL. We are empty-nesters so why not?!?!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly! Our last just fledged 2 weeks ago:rock:
Just wait till they get married and bring GrandBabies home so they can get a few hours to themselves... :giggle:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think I've changed my mind about how the overland looks in factory form. I'd still swap out for an AT tire but I don't think it looks too bad with the HTs.

IMG_1655.JPG

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Well, I think I've changed my mind about how the overland looks in factory form. I'd still swap out for an AT tire but I don't think it looks too bad with the HTs.

IMG_1655.JPG
Meh, too many doors.

D2B4780F-7AFD-4356-A608-D4F95204E064.gif

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EFB782E3-BAFB-49C7-A0A7-4D7F87132246.jpeg
9C41B2D4-3CBD-4E08-BA24-2A8B4732ACF6.gif

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol, well to each his own. I do like the J6 but I use the back seat frequently. I guess if I had a little Chihuahua I could drive a two door.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
lol, well to each his own. I do like the J6 but I use the back seat frequently. I guess if I had a little Chihuahua I could drive a two door.
Dog comfort was the reason the wifey gave when she went to the dark side (4 door). Was a sad day. :CWL:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dog comfort was the reason the wifey gave when she went to the dark side (4 door). Was a sad day. :CWL:
When my old Dakota was rear ended I got a Single Cab Chevy Silverado as a rental. My wife and I wanted to head down to Palm Springs and brought Charlie along and it was hectic keeping him from trying to lay down in my lap. He's a 70 Lb Golden Retriever that thinks he's a lap dog, lol.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
The Gladiator's towing and payload numbers are competitive within the midsize pickup segment. Even with its long wheelbase, it can rock crawl with the best in the segment. It offers a removable top and doors, unlike any other midsize truck. It has a distinct style, which is definitely polarizing. Being a Jeep, it will have very good aftermarket support, so that owners can customize their truck. It is a strong offering overall, but the price is a lot higher than other midsize trucks, which should not be ignored.

Despite it's seemingly endless length, it has a very short 5ft bed, while the Tacoma and Colorado offer a 6ft bed. That alone would make it a no-go for me.

If you never haul firewood, landscaping materials, furniture, dirt bikes, dead animals, or pull a 4,000+ lb trailer, I'm not sure why you would choose a Gladiator over a Wrangler. But, if you want to make a habit of hauling some of those things, a Gladiator might work for you, and/or a Wrangler just won't be an option.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Stopped at a local dealership over the weekend after they closed and looked at a red, white, and a black Rubicon Gladiator and I just really don't like the way they look. They were asking $61 K for the Rubicon model. Sitting down the lot was a whole row of 1500 RAM fully loaded going for around $40k after rebates.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Sitting down the lot was a whole row of 1500 RAM fully loaded going for around $40k after rebates.
Fully loaded? I just did a build and price on a Ram 1500, and got to an MSRP of $83,400 CAD. Either those are some crazy discounts, or those fully loaded trucks are missing a few options.

Either way, your point is still valid. You can get a LOT more "truck" capability, and a lot more comfort and luxury, for the cost of a Gladiator Rubicon.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator's towing and payload numbers are competitive within the midsize pickup segment. Even with its long wheelbase, it can rock crawl with the best in the segment. It offers a removable top and doors, unlike any other midsize truck. It has a distinct style, which is definitely polarizing. Being a Jeep, it will have very good aftermarket support, so that owners can customize their truck. It is a strong offering overall, but the price is a lot higher than other midsize trucks, which should not be ignored.

Despite it's seemingly endless length, it has a very short 5ft bed, while the Tacoma and Colorado offer a 6ft bed. That alone would make it a no-go for me.

If you never haul firewood, landscaping materials, furniture, dirt bikes, dead animals, or pull a 4,000+ lb trailer, I'm not sure why you would choose a Gladiator over a Wrangler. But, if you want to make a habit of hauling some of those things, a Gladiator might work for you, and/or a Wrangler just won't be an option.
I think Overlanding is another good possibility. Some of the setups you see take up the entire back seat and cargo area of a 4 door wrangler and then they have a rooftop tent to sleep in. Having that 5 foot bed would help take a lot of that out of the passenger space.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Stopped at a local dealership over the weekend after they closed and looked at a red, white, and a black Rubicon Gladiator and I just really don't like the way they look. They were asking $61 K for the Rubicon model. Sitting down the lot was a whole row of 1500 RAM fully loaded going for around $40k after rebates.
I’m surprised Jeep are bringing the Gladiator to the UK.

Wrangler prices here after taxes etc have been around the same in £’s as $’s so a Gladiator Rubicon at over £60k looks very expensive. The new top of the range Mercedes twin cab with a 3.5 V6 Diesel engine is ‘only’ £46k. OK that won’t have the same off road ability but that’s not what these vehicles are bought for here.
Sponsored