Sponsored

Does Rust spread like cancer?

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
Bought my new 2021 JLU 4xe a couple months ago. This weekend bought a Roam rock rail/side step that has some rust. Rust is in the inside of the rock rail and on the brackets that would attach to the frame of my Jeep.

Question is - if untreated will it eventually spread to my Jeep undercarriage? I live in Northern California and we hardly see any rain forget snow.
Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Well, no, rust doesn't exactly spread like cancer, more like a California wildfire.

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
No, it won’t spread from your rails to your frame. It will continue to spread on the rails. Your best bet is to sand and wire brush all of the rust off and paint them. If it’s inside where you can’t get to it, you can try something like this to slow it down, provided there’s a hole to get the hose in.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-i...kedid=433248372130&wickedsource=google&wv=3.1

OP
OP

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
Thanks for the replies. Lots of options from rust remover to rust converter. Kurd Kutter to POR15.

I may do a hybrid solution - first I'll prep by lightly sanding and use a wire brush for hard to get places. Then I'll clean the surface with a cleaner/degreaser.

Next for the bolts and small pieces use the Kurd Kutter solution to soak and remove rust. I will also spray some Kurt Kutter on the rock rails hard to reach spots.

Once dried - I will spray with Rustoleum rust reformer for spots that may have remaining rust. The rust converter, will form a layer of black film that bonds to the rust surface.

Finally will finish of by painting the Roam rock rails with bed liner paint.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
or you could use electrolysis. Need a huge tank though.

Sponsored