Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I have a bare bones 2020 JL Sport Unlimited manual windows locks lights everything and I really enjoy the idea of it but sometimes I’ll leave the house or be off-roading and need to roll the windows up or down and it’s extremely difficult to do in some situations. With the fob and push button start it makes locking the doors even worse. I have locked myself out a couple times now and left the fob inside with the windows rolled down and top off in a sketchy area once (ran back pretty fast). Haven’t taken the doors off yet but I am sure it’ll be easier without all the wiring. I am concerned that when I replace all my lights with led the wiring might be different but I’ll just wait and see. What’s great is if you want something you can just buy it aftermarket for less than out of the dealership.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! 120A2A8C-1C6B-4C2C-AC67-3F08D017CD66
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! 13E1F269-E2BD-4800-963B-3764CB167671

Although it is bare bones I haven’t gotten stuck once while a couple friends got stuck in deep snow with their lifts and huge tires. What a great feeling! I have no doubts in its capability even being stock.
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not to argue your purchase decision, as that is entirely your own, but I disagree with your thought process. As far as driving experience, feeling one with the Jeep, being part of the machine, etc. your automatic equipped, electronic power steering, traction control aided, supercomputer on wheels is literally no different than our basically loaded rubicon. Everything from my adaptive cruise control to 8.4 Uconnect with nav and alpine system has off buttons. Leave the seat heaters off, and it’s as if they aren’t there. My driving experience can be identical to yours, although the 37” MT’s probably have more hum and feedback through the steering. The illusion of utilitarianism is no different if you choose not to check the boxes on the order or you choose to drive with those luxuries off. The key difference being, I can make that choice on a moment by moment basis. I can drive with all the tech off, doors off (making the power windows and door locks illusion of utility a moot point), and listen to the wind if I choose. When the wife is daily driving it to work in the winter she can answer emails using CarPlay voice controls with the seat heater on and the adaptive cruise control following the car in front of her, hit the window switch at Starbucks, and be on her way in comfort and style. We were going Rubicon no matter what, as we wheel pretty aggressive trails at least monthly, so why not splurge on niceties? I don’t get the logic of spending $45k+ and not going for the full compliment of creature comforts, but to each his own. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Totally understand and respect your thought process, but even when switched off, all these extras introduce a greater level of systemic complexity and vulnerability that I don't have, need, or want, especially for the steep price tag. More importantly, my use case is much different than yours too...I'm not driving through Starbucks every day, not answering emails while driving, and I don't live in a cold Winter climate. As such, why would I spend an additional $10K for bells and whistles that will never get used? I'm glad to hear that you will use these options, as you paid dearly for them, but they have no real utility for me. We're just apples and oranges, and that's what makes this community cool...enjoy, and stay safe out there.

Last edited:

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have a bare bones 2020 JL Sport Unlimited manual windows locks lights everything and I really enjoy the idea of it but sometimes I’ll leave the house or be off-roading and need to roll the windows up or down and it’s extremely difficult to do in some situations. With the fob and push button start it makes locking the doors even worse. I have locked myself out a couple times now and left the fob inside with the windows rolled down and top off in a sketchy area once (ran back pretty fast). Haven’t taken the doors off yet but I am sure it’ll be easier without all the wiring. I am concerned that when I replace all my lights with led the wiring might be different but I’ll just wait and see. What’s great is if you want something you can just buy it aftermarket for less than out of the dealership.
120A2A8C-1C6B-4C2C-AC67-3F08D017CD66.jpeg
13E1F269-E2BD-4800-963B-3764CB167671.jpeg

Although it is bare bones I haven’t gotten stuck once while a couple friends got stuck in deep snow with their lifts and huge tires. What a great feeling! I have no doubts in its capability even being stock.
Thanks for sharing, Tara...I've had the same experience wheeling in my boring '99 TJ and '80 CJ-5, and even had to recover a friend's tricked-out Rubicon JK once. I wish no malice on any fellow Jeepers, especially since he felt a little embarrassed, having dropped significant $$$ on his new rig. I never underestimate what bone stock is capable of, but also realize that it can always be improved upon as needed, depending on one's specific use case. No right or wrong about it.;)

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you own a JL with power locks, windows and push button start, try renting a bare bones 2Dr JK on vacation with your wife.
I did that in St. Croix a few months ago, got really tired of leaning over to roll up the windows, lock the door, fumbling in my pocket to find the key to unlock and start the jeep, leaning over to unlock the door, everytime we went somewhere.
You really miss these conveniences once you get used to them.
It was fun to drive the JK around there, but couldn't wait to get back in my JL.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Really depends on where you are at in life and how much time is worth to you.
I'm at a place in life that time is at the essence and comfort & convenience is worth their weight in gold.

I go by a work hard & play harder life style and don't really got time to fumble and BS around for things that cost just a pay-cheque at most, and calls it 'nostalgia' - I get it if people do.

Glad we have options so people can choose whatever.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Not to argue your purchase decision, as that is entirely your own, but I disagree with your thought process. As far as driving experience, feeling one with the Jeep, being part of the machine, etc. your automatic equipped, electronic power steering, traction control aided, supercomputer on wheels is literally no different than our basically loaded rubicon. Everything from my adaptive cruise control to 8.4 Uconnect with nav and alpine system has off buttons. Leave the seat heaters off, and it’s as if they aren’t there. My driving experience can be identical to yours, although the 37” MT’s probably have more hum and feedback through the steering. The illusion of utilitarianism is no different if you choose not to check the boxes on the order or you choose to drive with those luxuries off. The key difference being, I can make that choice on a moment by moment basis. I can drive with all the tech off, doors off (making the power windows and door locks illusion of utility a moot point), and listen to the wind if I choose. When the wife is daily driving it to work in the winter she can answer emails using CarPlay voice controls with the seat heater on and the adaptive cruise control following the car in front of her, hit the window switch at Starbucks, and be on her way in comfort and style. We were going Rubicon no matter what, as we wheel pretty aggressive trails at least monthly, so why not splurge on niceties? I don’t get the logic of spending $45k+ and not going for the full compliment of creature comforts, but to each his own. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Well said. I can choose to allow my hands to freeze and carry winter gloves, or turn on the heated steering wheel. Choice is one of the best options.
Sponsored