Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have always been into barebones Jeeps and my current JK is a Willys "K" model - similar to the JL Willys sport. So, it has roll down windows, manual locks. Also, manual trans. However, I have been gradually getting to like more of the creature comforts. I also, am getting sick of unlocking the back doors for the kids to get in. Over time, I went from 2 door no-option soft top jeeps, to 4 door(when I had kids) and then to hardtop 4 door.
Now with my JL - I ordered a 4 door Rubicon with hard top. Still will have manual trans, but now it will have power locks/windows/mirrors. I even added cold weather group with heated seats/steering wheel.
Having said that, as I wait for my order to build, at least once a week I think that I should have just gotten a base sport or Willys Sport, maybe even a 2 door... Would save money and get the real Jeep experience.

a 4 door jeep is as much as a real jeep as a 2 door. :)
Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
If I didn't have my automatic windows I don't think I would enjoy the jeep as much. I can easily one click windows up and down and so I use them all the time. Would never go to manual windows in any vehicle I own.

Deleted member 59098

I’m pretty much all about base trims, but felt stronger axles were very important. I would have eventually added gears and lockers and sway bar disconnects. Oh yeah, bigger tires too. Hence I went for a base 2 door manual Rubicon. Only option was a hardtop. It does come base with a lot of goodies like A/C, big screen infotainment, probably some other options I don’t really need.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I could go both ways but I bought a 2 door Willys sport with AC and that is about it. Roll down windows don't bother me as I can easily reach across. But I am probably upgrading to keyless entry because it is annoying to constantly have to get the key out and have a passenger waiting when running errands etc.
Part of it for me was I could either get a used JK with more options or a new JL with fewer options for only a few thousand more.

If I had a 4 door power windows and locks would be required for me and I would probably also want the nicer stereo and heated seats.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’m pretty much all about base trims, but felt stronger axles were very important. I would have eventually added gears and lockers and sway bar disconnects. Oh yeah, bigger tires too.

Hence I went for a base 2 door manual Rubicon.

Only option was a hardtop. It does come base with a lot of goodies like A/C, big screen infotainment, probably some other options I don’t really need.
There's nothing "base" in that Rubicon build, mate. ;)

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I hate all the new nanny features. I don’t need cameras, beepers, and flat screens to back up. I don’t need flashing mirrors to know when I can change lanes, and I definitely don’t need “auto-park” to prevent me from backing up with my door cracked. I also hate having an engine compartment that is so packed with plastic and other assorted crap that I can’t see the pavement and I need to bloody my hands just to run power to the winch. What I hate most is the uncertainty that comes with having a vehicle that’s so complicated and computer-dependent I’m completely at its mercy if it malfunctions when I need it most. Recent stories from guys who inexplicably lost power, brakes, and steering intensify my fears — because that’s damn dangerous, and no amount of good vehicle care and maintenance significantly reduces my risk. The extreme complexity and computer dependence just enrolls all of us in a miserable lottery: all we can do is hope the next catastrophic failure isn't ours.

I’d wind back the clock to simpler Jeep’s in a heartbeat, especially if I could wind back the pricing.... Monroni sticker on my 1977 CJ was under $7,800. I just sold my 2006 TJ for $12,000 — which immediately went into my JL.... and most folks wouldn’t even notice the difference that $12,000 made.
Many people would agree with you. Jeepers want a reliable vehicle with fewer things that can break. No disagreements here.

When I think of luxury vehicles, I think of Audi, Mercedes and BMW. I don't think of Jeeps as luxury vehicles. I think of them as fun vehicles made to tackle rough roads and bad terrain. To not have basic amenities like power windows and a/c???

I don't know about that.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Unless power windows, AC, heated seats, etc. are tied in with engine ignition sequence and remain OPTIONS fine, go for it. However, it seems that computer ignition control is increasingly dependent on sequence algorithms telling the processor that all is in order, "proceed with ignition." My friend's wife's Acura failed to start once because the circuit for her heated seat failed. Add ESS; chains of specialized batteries and their associated dedicated functions; radio frequency, battery dependant ignition keys; screens; turbos; on and on; one now finds himself operating a $50,000 Rube Goldberg affair on a dangerous trail in remote terrain with a blizzard coming on.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
I look around my dealer's lot quite a bit. I don't think I've ever seen a regular Sport and absolutely not one like you describe. It has to be a custom order. I'd guess the typical salesperson today barely knows much about the product (my experience) much less why someone would want one like you. I think as time goes on, just about everything gets gentrified. A top of the line Rubicon can be over $70,000. The appeal is to the Scottsdale mothers, not the low profit purists.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So have I and was able to trail repair it enough to get home. The point was the first fellow was parked in his driveway with a dead battery. I enjoyed a battery dying in the Black Hills one night, was able to roll start being parked headed down hill. Yes, a richly optioned JL is not for me, but the variables and developments are interesting. No one likes admitting weaknesses in computer or electronic systems...ask Boeing.
I agree 100% that computer systems can fail, but any jl with an auto is just as vulnerable to a dead battery "stuck", be it keyed or push button start. A modern bare bones wrangler is still 100% computer dependent.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Power windows is such an old technology that I wouldn’t worry about it being a potential failure point. It’s all the software and computer hardware that is of concern. Do you really think car companies are able to attract the top talent when it comes to software engineering? And even if they can, are they able to hire the software human factors experts to match the ergonomics expertise which they do have on the hardware side? Even Tesla which does attract uber-geeks to its workforce made a self driving system that drives their cars straight into stationary trucks (several documented instances of such crashes; here is a video of one https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...d-truck-ignores-pedestrian-with-autopilot-on/).

There is also the problem of the lifecycle of consumer grade touchscreens, CPUs, graphics processors, memory chips, etc. being much shorter than the expected lifetime of a car. At the company where I work the policy is you can replace your computer once every three years because IT knows that’s about all you can expect to get out of it before it starts going downhill enough to impair worker productivity.

At some point maybe futuristic car platforms will come with an electronics backplane built into frame so that wiring harnesses largely become a thing of the past and everything can plug-and-play into CAN bus.

Freddieman

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL (2 door)
Occupation
DOS Contractor in Iraq
Hello Jeep people!

IMHO, two doors is the way to go but I could see the practicality of 4 doors. My first Jeep was a YJ Rio Grande Edition with the 4 banger, followed by two TJ's one of them being a 2006 Rubicon, that was the last year they made the TJ. I should have kept that Rubi. All of them were manual and two doors. Eventually I bought a two door 2015 JK Willys Edition but that one was automatic. Now I own a bare bones 2019 V-6 JL, 2 doors, manual transmission, crank windows manual locks and no A/C from factory. I found it in Orlando FL. I live in Vero Beach and its the perfect vehicle for this area. My dog loves it! Merry Christmas everyone!
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! IMG_0982
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! IMG_0662.JPG

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
When the Rubicon was first introduced it was a huge upgrade from previous YJ's and TJ's.
With the addition of traction control as well as several other standard options on even a base model, the gap is much smaller now between a Rubicon and base model.

I owned a Rubicon and downgraded to a Sport. No regrets.........I go the same places in the Sport as I did in the Rubicon.

Its all perspective:

1989 YJ Islander
3.08 gearing
5 speed manual
front disk/rear drum brakes
Open Diffs
no traction control
Zippers no window cranks
No tow hooks
2 speakers in dash AM/FM only
27-28" tires
required 3-4' lift to fit 32-33" tires

2003 Rubicon
4:10 gearing
3 speed Auto
all wheel disk brakes
air lockers/4:1 transfer case/limited slip rear
no traction control
no sway bar disco's
window cranks
am/fm CD 4 speakers/sound bar
tow hooks
30" stock tires
2" lift required for 32-33" tires

2018 Sport 2 dr
3:45 gears
8 speed Auto/handles bigger tires much better than a 3 spd auto/or 5 spd manual
All wheel disk brakes
open diffs/Traction control/BLD/ESC
window cranks
am/fm 4 speakers/sound bar
tow hooks
30-31" stock tires
32-33" tires fit with no lift/mild lift for 35's (fender well size improved over previous models)
Interior much more finished/no open metal tub

IMG_5964 2.jpg

2003Rubicon.jpg

climb.png

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Jeep people!

IMHO, two doors is the way to go but I could see the practicality of 4 doors. My first Jeep was a YJ Rio Grande Edition with the 4 banger, followed by two TJ's one of them being a 2006 Rubicon, that was the last year they made the TJ. I should have kept that Rubi. All of them were manual and two doors. Eventually I bought a two door 2015 JK Willys Edition but that one was automatic. Now I own a bare bones 2019 V-6 JL, 2 doors, manual transmission, crank windows manual locks and no A/C from factory. I found it in Orlando FL. I live in Vero Beach and its the perfect vehicle for this area. My dog loves it! Merry Christmas everyone!
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! climb
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! climb
No AC needed in Florida in summer? I was thinking about my old CJ’s when I was younger. No AC. Didnt even think about it. Now, i dont know if I could go without. Maybe. Jersey not hot as lond as FL

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker