Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh that’s too bad. Our Stryker’s had A/C! Lol. I’d take the little air tube and run it down my shirt.
Yeah brother, I’m a crusty old-school senior NCO. Only our Avenger gunner compartments had A/C. Platoon sergeants like me just drove around in hot-ass HMMWVs and sweated our butts off.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The thing that surprised me with this Jeep is that it pretends it is simple and bare bones, but all the invisible tech of modern vehicles is there...
Just so. A proper bare bones Wrangler hasn't existed for a number of years now. Not when anti-lock brakes, direct injection, engine start/stop, back-up cameras, electronic stability control and a raft of other tech is bundled in every trim level, with the customer unable to decline any of it. That's progress, which is generally a good thing. That doesn't, and shouldn't, prevent us from recalling the comparative simplicity that preceded it.

And so we're six pages into a friendly squabble regarding who has to look for the fainting couch when manual windows and door locks are mentioned. By extension, the irony of having to pay four thousand dollars to buy the bare-bones vibe of factory half doors and soft uppers is perhaps indicative of the current age. It's fun to observe, that's for certain.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
My situation is a little unique. As a young guy, I had a beat-up early 70’s FJ40. No A/C (in SW Florida), 3 speed, and a gas tank that leaked into the passenger compartment.

Fast-forward about 6-8 years. I joined the Army and drove the M151 Jeep right before they were cycled out. Loved them, as rickety as they were. No A/C of course, manual tranny, wearing full battle-rattle in the south east training posts (GA and FL mostly). Throughout my entire 30 year career, I never drove or rode in an air conditioned military vehicle.

I retired in 2018. I bought myself a retirement present - a 2018 JL Sport. Crank windows, manual door locks. However, I insisted on A/C and the auto tranny. I had enough of the no-A/C thing, and although I was not opposed to a manual, the ZF 8 speed is a damn fine tranny, especially while wheeling.

I wanted to go as simple as possible without compromising tropical comfort, for economic reasons, and because I have been enjoying the build process.

As far as being a “hard dude” and tolerating discomfort all the time? Screw that. Now I can chose when and when not to be “hard,” on MY terms!
Haha exactly. From humvee's with no power steering, power windows, ac in the desert heat, been there, done that, no thanks. No point in suffering when you don't have to. It's a one time fee for a lifetime of smiles per gallon.

Last edited:

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I've always bought the stripped down model of every vehicle I've ever purchased for 43 straight years. But I finally made an exception with our '19 JL as my left knee ain't what it used to be, so no more clutch for this boy, and when I test drove a Sport, the window crank hit me in the knee and became real annoying/painful after just a short trip. So we went with the Sport S.

Best,
-Tim

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Bare bones is great if that's all you can afford. The pcm and chassis management systems are every bit the same. You aren't buying a jeep that's more reliable because "there's less stuff to break". A power window failure or a seat heater malfunction won't effect off road performance. Meanwhile you soft top, no ac guys are nowhere to be seen in moab when it's 105⁰ in August. Our jlur is cool and comfortable even bombing through mojave when it's 118⁰. The seat heater and steering wheel heater are amazing when we are snow wheeling at 10k' and it's 0⁰. Add in the actual off road upgrades of the rubicon, and the stripped down model was never an option. Not only can it take us places a sport can't, it makes sure we are comfortable enough to want to be there.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
I'm with you. Crank windows, manual locks and mirrors, then you don't have to play around with that door harness. The only option on my Rubicon was proximity locks, which I like. The dealer said "we always order some base versions because we know people are going to modify them anyway."

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If my wrangler wasn’t a winter commuter, I’d be on the stripped down bandwagon. If I get to the point I maintain 3 vehicles, it will be a car, HD truck/winter commuter, and a base wrangler with custom upgrades. Hopefully that explains why some of us have the option heavy trims we do. We need to compromise family duty or non-wrangler specific duties in order to justify the wrangler purchases. Otherwise we wouldn’t be part of the community.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
As a first time Jeep owner, I wanted to go with the base Jeep experience, roll up windows the whole deal. I figured I have to earn my way into all the things that grandma gets on her Buick, heated seats, auto-climate control, safety warnings etc. Although I did get a/c so I can't brag too much. Wouldn't change a thing.
Also as a first time jeep owner, i had to re-adjust to manual locks and windows but now that i have it, I absolutely love it.

The amount of times i’m chilling in the jeep with my girl, or turn off the jeep first and forget to roll the windows up; and never needing to turn on ignition again has been pretty convenient.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
My sister has an awesome 2-door dark blue JL (forget the color name) with crank windows and everything. She's leasing it and I would totally buy it off her in a couple years, but it has the turbo motor and I wanna stay away from that one.

I'm sticking with my JLU for the entire generation, but right before they stop making JLs, I'll buy a totally stripped-down Sport. I have a feeling that whatever comes next will be full of nanny devices and electronic systems that I just don't want until driving laws force them on me. If I had my perfect world, I'd love if FCA produced a 2-door hybrid/electric jeep before the end of the JL generation that could be had in an otherwise stripped-down trim.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
So what your saying is that my 1998 Shitbox XJ has more options that your JL??? LoL. give me air conditioning, power locks, power windows and an Auto transmission. This guys drinks coffee while wheeling on the trail.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
It's not that I'm opposed to basic conveniences, but Jeep simply charges WAY too much for their options, and I won't have it. That they even have a base radio below what every other manufacturer is using for a base model is just insulting. To get AC, CarPlay and Keyless, you have to spend another $4k. Looks like after-market remote locks and 8" full function radio will cost about a grand in parts.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It's not that I'm opposed to basic conveniences, but Jeep simply charges WAY too much for their options, and I won't have it. That they even have a base radio below what every other manufacturer is using for a base model is just insulting. To get AC, CarPlay and Keyless, you have to spend another $4k. Looks like after-market remote locks and 8" full function radio will cost about a grand in parts.
$32k for a base model sport, another $1k in aftermarket mods puts you at $33k for a wrangler on street tires with weaker axle housings, taller gears, no lockers, no sway bar disconnect, no power windows, no 4-1 transfer case, etc. A base rubicon upgrades all of those things, including power locks, keyless entry, and a 7" unconnect with car play for $42k. No you cannot upgrade a sport to rubicon level for less, even if you do the labor yourself. If you are planning a full build including dana 60's and an atlas, by all means buy the base model sport. If you want to wheel your jeep on even moderate trails and have creature comforts to boot, the rubicon is a deal.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
@MrKnowitall
I pretty much agree with you, but I have the base radio and it's really not bad. I can still connect my phone through Bluetooth to play music and stuff, it just doesn't have those carplay apps or whatever. I usually just turn the screen off on my uconnect when I'm driving anyway. I don't know why people want to keep putting these large, bright screens in front of their faces when they're driving when we know how dangerous it can be, regardless of how good a driver you think you are.

I don't really care about keyless entry, either. I had it on my last car but don't have it on my jeep and I really don't miss it.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
$32k for a base model sport, another $1k in aftermarket mods puts you at $33k for a wrangler on street tires with weaker axle housings, taller gears, no lockers, no sway bar disconnect, no power windows, no 4-1 transfer case, etc. A base rubicon upgrades all of those things, including power locks, keyless entry, and a 7" unconnect with car play for $42k. No you cannot upgrade a sport to rubicon level for less, even if you do the labor yourself. If you are planning a full build including dana 60's and an atlas, by all means buy the base model sport. If you want to wheel your jeep on even moderate trails and have creature comforts to boot, the rubicon is a deal.
Or, you know, If you've been wheeling for a couple of decades, know that in the Midwest many NEVER use their front locker, can't stand the 4:1 low range, and feel that spending another 9 grand (or 27%) more because of perceived value is just un-called for. Ford is bringing the base Bronco with completely livable options.
Sponsored