Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

Tuckdawg

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep willy's jlu
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
I'm with you. I'd love a Jeep with less electronics or other computerized technology that will eventually malfunction after you come to depend on it. I still like my power windows and AC though.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I want simplicity!

I want my Jeep to only have a decent motor and an automatic. Oh, and a hardtop; it gets cold here. Oh, and AC, who can live without AC these days. Oh, and a decent stereo. And heated seats would be damn nice. Okay, add a heated steering wheel. And remote start. Oh, if I’m going to get AC it better have dual climate control. LEDs would be helpful in these short winter days with deer hiding around every corner. Oh, and gimme room for four adults, 10 inches of ground clearance and 20+ MPG.

That’s it.

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I traded a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn for a bare bones 18’ Wrangler. The only thing is my knees (after 30 years of tile work) just can’t take a manual as a daily driver. I hardly use the a/c and I live in SW Florida.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
I purposely wanted a Sport. I tend to keep my autos for a long time and although new auto drivetrains are well engineered to last, the first thing that starts to fail is all the peripheral tech. I did want the Auto/AC/Hardtop options over bare bones. I actually wanted the crank windows and manual door locks. Too many memories of my past Mopars having electric window problems. The JL is small enough that I can reach across the passenger seat to roll the window up/down or lock/unlock the door while being belted in the drivers seat. Been driving my all manual 1981 SR5 PU since 1993 so the limited tech JL Sport is no biggie. My wife would disagree.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Nope. I was done with that crap years ago. I want every option. Lol

Deleted member 59498

Only problem is, even if bare bones you know you are going to put some love upgrades on it!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yep! Only thing I have is air conditioning. With my half doors and a bikini top on more than half the year I don’t care too much about the power comforts.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

took my jeep offroading last weekend. while bouncing around i banged my knee into that stupid window crank (not the first time). :swear:

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
I bought my leftover new 18 JL Sport over the new 19's that were on the lot specifically because it was a bare bones soft top and exactly what I wanted. The only thing I didn't like initially was that it is the 8sp auto, but over time it won me over with it's unobtrusive operation.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My situation is a little unique. As a young guy, I had a beat-up early 70’s FJ40. No A/C (in SW Florida), 3 speed, and a gas tank that leaked into the passenger compartment.

Fast-forward about 6-8 years. I joined the Army and drove the M151 Jeep right before they were cycled out. Loved them, as rickety as they were. No A/C of course, manual tranny, wearing full battle-rattle in the south east training posts (GA and FL mostly). Throughout my entire 30 year career, I never drove or rode in an air conditioned military vehicle.

I retired in 2018. I bought myself a retirement present - a 2018 JL Sport. Crank windows, manual door locks. However, I insisted on A/C and the auto tranny. I had enough of the no-A/C thing, and although I was not opposed to a manual, the ZF 8 speed is a damn fine tranny, especially while wheeling.

I wanted to go as simple as possible without compromising tropical comfort, for economic reasons, and because I have been enjoying the build process.

As far as being a “hard dude” and tolerating discomfort all the time? Screw that. Now I can chose when and when not to be “hard,” on MY terms!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My situation is a little unique. As a young guy, I had a beat-up early 70’s FJ40. No A/C (in SW Florida), 3 speed, and a gas tank that leaked into the passenger compartment.

Fast-forward about 6-8 years. I joined the Army and drove the M151 Jeep right before they were cycled out. Loved them, as rickety as they were. No A/C of course, manual tranny, wearing full battle-rattle in the south east training posts (GA and FL mostly). Throughout my entire 30 year career, I never drove or rode in an air conditioned military vehicle.

I retired in 2018. I bought myself a retirement present - a 2018 JL Sport. Crank windows, manual door locks. However, I insisted on A/C and the auto tranny. I had enough of the no-A/C thing, and although I was not opposed to a manual, the ZF 8 speed is a damn fine tranny, especially while wheeling.

I wanted to go as simple as possible without compromising tropical comfort, for economic reasons, and because I have been enjoying the build process.

As far as being a “hard dude” and tolerating discomfort all the time? Screw that. Now I can chose when and when not to be “hard,” on MY terms!
Ahh that’s too bad. Our Stryker’s had A/C! Lol. I’d take the little air tube and run it down my shirt.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
If it was just me in my Jeep and it was a trail only vehicle, then a bare-bones Sport would have been a great vehicle that I could build up off-road capabilities with. But mine...isn't. I DD every day, with 2 car seats in the back. Having all the options that make life easier just makes for a better day to day driver as well as a ridiculously capable rig on the rocks.

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I love my 2018 sport with only A/C and auto. I specifically wanted the 2.0 so manual was not an option, otherwise I would have taken it. I’m European, so driving manual is the standard for us, and by far my personal favorite.

As far as it goes for crank windows and manual door locks, it really doesn’t bother me (I realized I actually prefer crank windows, if it makes any sense). If had a 4door, I would have definitely gone for a Sport S or above - there’s no way I would have been locking 4 doors individually...
Only tech I wish I had would be carplay, as I rely a lot on maps, etc - so I might upgrade that at some point.

The thing that surprised me with this Jeep is that at it pretends it is simple and bare bones, but all the invisible tech of modern vehicles is there... It just shows that was a clear design decision to cater a more purist or simplicity-based demographic...

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I had a YJ, a TJ, and now the JL (Rubi). While having the manual locks, roll down windows, and other bare bone items was great at the time, having some creature comforts (with the JL) is Really nice!!!!! Heated steering wheel, heated seats, leather trim.....
Being in the 3rd quarter of my life (and seeing the 4th on the horizon) has created a different perspective in me. Still a Jeeper, but enjoying the ride :) a little more.
Sponsored