Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

The_Armed_Gardener

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Willys 2021 2D, Subaru, Ford Ranger, Aluminum Jet Pump Sled
Occupation
Transit Authority Paratransit Operator
I guess you could just take an Uber, taxi or city bus. Or maybe it's about control. Those drawn manual crank windows seem to be at the center of this debacle. Or maybe it's about not even having windows at all? Maybe it's about freedom no matter how stupid our choices seem to be to others? That's why I got a Jeep. Merica
Sponsored

JLJeeper76

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The high tech gadgets that break, cost money to fix. That said, I do like my apple car play.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Well now, if you could get me a stripped down Jeep with no ESS or E Torque, then I would buy one,stripped.

mayes

First Name
mayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 willy's sport
I've never had power windows and that's why I bought a 2021 Willy's sport.I wish it had vinyl floor covering.I was thinking of a 2021 f150xl with 3.3 but they were replacing the 6sp auto with the 10sp and I couldn't find a 2020.It's nice to have a standard after 4yrs of an auto

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I had my 1st Jeep experience when I was 12 years of age. My uncle had a WWII surplus Jeep (Willys) down at the lake. At that time there were only dirt roads (all the better). I had a blast with that "bare bones" Jeep. I loved it. Today, I have a JL Unlimited, loaded. It is difficult to relate the new JL with my first Willys Jeep experience. But still, that is why I have a Jeep today. Some things you never forget.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
I have a JL base sport with manual transmission, windows and locks - because that was all that was available in my price range at the time. I grew up learning to drive on the classic "3 -in-the-tree", and have have many other 4 and 5 speed manuals.

Fast forward to today - I missed the power locks the most because of how difficult it is to reach around to unlock the back doors. So, I paid dearly to have power locks installed.

Now I am trading in to special order a Gladiator Mohave with limited options. It comes with power locks and stuff so I am covered there, but I am also getting the automatic. Don't get me wrong - manuals are FUN! This will be my retirement present to myself. Heated seats, navigation, select-trac, hardtop, plus a few minor things - but not overloaded like most I see on the lots.

Vehicles have come a long ways in reliability - and I, for one, am all for that! They are much more reliable that they were 30-50 years ago.

That being said, the 60s and early 70s made the most bad-assed hot rods that had so much 'character'! But I can do without the 4-10 mpgs of my 69 442, or the rate at which stuff broke...

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
No ESS or Etorque would get my vote. Most of the creature features in the newer Jeeps are okay, I use mine as a daily driver so comfort is not a bad thing. Many of the amenities on the JL I won't ever use but others I use all the time. I just hate ESS, shut it off every time I start the Jeep.

Sponsored

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
My first vehicle was a 71 CJ5, with the 225 "Dauntless" V6 - the best sounding engine put in a CJ/Wrangler to date (until the 492 shows up) - a 4 speed manual, D44 full floater, headers leading to exhaust exiting before the rear tires, no AC, fabric doors, a laughable heater, no sound proofing, manual steering, manual brakes, and laughable ergonomics.

I also owned 2 4.0 Wranglers.

Our JKUR is better in every way, yet still offers the top down doors off experience. Our next Jeep will be even better than that.

Bare bones is great for a driver's car, but really has little place in a car that will be used for everyday driving.

Barebones is great...until you realize that many of those convenient features such as electric windows
I abhor most of todayā€™s tech in cars. When it fails itā€™s either really annoying or expensive to fix. Hereā€™s a short list of useless tech that I think only serves to increase profit margins: TPMS, keys with chips in them and touchscreens. And I hate fixing power windows so theyā€™re a no for me, sane with power locks. I love the tech that goes into making a vehicle drive better and safer but the so called convenience stuff.
Keys with chips (among other tech improvements) have dramatically reduced vehicle theft. Go look at the numbers, vehicle thefts are down over 500% since their peak.

TPMS has saved countless drivers from crashes causing injuries and/or death. It has also saved many times those numbers of tires that people inflated properly when the TPMS lit up.

Touchscreens can go fuck themselves. I'm all for backup cameras, but I think that touchscreens cause distracted driving.

Power windows and power locks are generally extremely easy to diagnose and repair. I'd encourage you not to be afraid of them.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I'd love a bare bones Wrangler if it wasn't my daily driver. But then I'd probably just buy a TJ.

Reactions: eck

Friedrice

First Name
Joe dirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport
Occupation
Oil bizzness
Iā€™ve owed over a dozen jeeps in my life, Iā€™ve went from zippers to crank windows not a problem... the last two rubiconā€™s also Manuel transmission & crankers...! Purchased my 2019 mojito base model I like the simple life...! Less stuff to go wrong plus I got a GR8...$$$!
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! F643EBA4-1C74-4A54-95E0-3224CC8DB459
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! 701CC374-7CC3-4706-9BEB-267902E7A0F4
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! 211EBDE6-CBDA-4FA0-8F63-06125F71A777
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! 55D6F10D-B49C-4FF2-AEAE-A1F135B1E2CB

31A51719-D584-4E18-BB03-C2A6133BE437.jpeg

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
Iā€™m getting older, I enjoy the creature comfortā€™s :) however, I may eventually get a pared down Jeep to play with.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Some people still do. I donā€™t count myself as one of those people. I really dig comfort and convenience. To each their own.

ā˜

This is me! I used to like all that stuff, but the older I get, not so much.
Sponsored