Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

OP
OP
Benw711

Benw711

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
So what your saying is that my 1998 Shitbox XJ has more options that your JL??? LoL. give me air conditioning, power locks, power windows and an Auto transmission. This guys drinks coffee while wheeling on the trail.
That is exactly what I am saying haha. I should add I do A/C to all of my barebones Jeeps.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Or, you know, If you've been wheeling for a couple of decades, know that in the Midwest many NEVER use their front locker, can't stand the 4:1 low range, and feel that spending another 9 grand (or 27%) more because of perceived value is just un-called for. Ford is bringing the base Bronco with completely livable options.
To get the rear locker on the bronco, you have to buy the sasquatch package, a $5,800 option. It's either bare bones with street tires or off road kitted, just like the wrangler. I too have been wheeling for a couple decades, and in the boulder fields out here you'll want the lockers. The 4-1 comes in handy as well. The 4.7 first gear in the 8 speed auto is more than sufficient in 4 high for mud, sand, snow etc that require more wheel speed than the low range allows. Not to mention the jlu is fairly heavy and I would be worried about the sports axles in the big rocks too. It's far from perceived value if you actually use it.

20200827_105336.jpg

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
To get the rear locker on the bronco, you have to buy the sasquatch package, a $5,800 option.
Its $5k, but OK. Makes a Base Man/Sqatch $35k with shipping (from the plant 15mi away)
...in the boulder fields out here
I'm not out there, nor do I expect to be in the near future.
The 4-1 comes in handy as well.
I'll pass on shifting one of the clunkiest t-cases in and out of Lo-Range all day.
...and I would be worried about the sports axles in the big rocks too.
It'll be a JT, so the base front D44/M200 is plenty stout.
It's far from perceived value if you actually use it.
That's just condescending. As if YOUR intended use were the only worth-while use of a Jeep.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Us poor people have to buy stripped down Wrangler Sports. I did however get the option that includes the 2 back doors, and I have hard top and automatic transmission.
Well mine is not completely stripped, it does have power windows. I was on the fence about this, I think hand crank windows might be more convenient in an adventure vehicle. If you're in the back and want to roll down the windows, do you need to get a stick to reach the switches? Otherwise I can't tell that I have any options of any consequence.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Its $5k, but OK. Makes a Base Man/Sqatch $35k with shipping (from the plant 15mi away)

I'm not out there, nor do I expect to be in the near future.

I'll pass on shifting one of the clunkiest t-cases in and out of Lo-Range all day.

It'll be a JT, so the base front D44/M200 is plenty stout.

That's just condescending. As if YOUR intended use were the only worth-while use of a Jeep.
Didn't mean to be condescending, I was referencing my usage. For me it isn't a perceived value as I use the rubicon specific features. Out here in CA a lot of people buy the wrangler for the open air, beach cruiser. They wouldn't get any value out of a rubicon. If you plan on wheeling it on moderate to difficult trails, I 100% recommend the rubicon. Lockers, gears, the lift required to fit 35"+ tires, etc all add up fast.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Us poor people have to buy stripped down Wrangler Sports. I did however get the option that includes the 2 back doors, and I have hard top and automatic transmission.
Well mine is not completely stripped, it does have power windows. I was on the fence about this, I think hand crank windows might be more convenient in an adventure vehicle. If you're in the back and want to roll down the windows, do you need to get a stick to reach the switches? Otherwise I can't tell that I have any options of any consequence.
There is a window switch in the rear of the center console for back seat passengers.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
the real Jeep experience.
When I first used lockers out of necessity, I then discovered the "Jeep experience". Prior to that a 30 mpg Subaru sufficed.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
There is nothing wrong with bare bones if it fits your need. You are just wasting money to get more in that case.

For me, I use the Rubicon features. I am in the midwest and do not use the lockers as much because usually I have gotten myself stuck deep enough that only a time machine would get me out. 4L and gearing works well for my use. Personally I see the value and could afford the Rubicon so for the JL I went that route.

Sponsored

jfman

First Name
J-F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 accord, BMW 325XIT
If I were to splurge and buy a new JL , with current prices it would have to be my main vehicle to justify the investment.

I would need: AC, auto trans(I live in the city) and a hard top. For me that is the minimum for a daily.

I cannot beliece that in 2020, JEEP sells a vehicle without AC standard at this price point. 1300$CAD option for AC is an insult IMO.

I can deal with crank windows and manual locks no problem. I prefer the simplest of controls (not a fan of infotainment, keyless, radar cruise controle etc...)

If I were to buy a JEEP as a second vehicle, I would not need automatic trans and maybe not need AC either. I could then see myself in a bare bones TJ or JK if it was a second vehicle. For a long roadtrip in the summer I would drive my 1000$ 20YO Honda that has all of that stuff.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
There is a window switch in the rear of the center console for back seat passengers.
Rather than "passenger" I was going to be sleeping in the back. The rear window switches don't work unless the ignition is on or in acc, right? Can you activate it from the back with the fob or do you need a long stick to push the start button on the dash?

Jwalker420

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 eco diesel wrangler
I just bought a 2020 3.0l its manual everything except transmission unfortunately it only came in an automatic but yes love it. doors aren't stupid heavy easy to take apart

BuffDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Sport
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:

nurse_victoria

First Name
Victoria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLUR
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
I bought my first Jeep in April of this year. It was a punkn base sport. I absolutely loved it!! I just traded it in last month on a punkn rubi because I felt like I was going to wreck driving down the road trying to roll the passenger window up 😂
We all appreciate a Jeep, but there’s nothing wrong with a window button lol.
Sponsored