Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Been there and done that with a 77 CJ-5, 99 XJ, and an 04 TJ Rubicon. I very much enjoy the creature comforts, handling, and roominess of my JLUR's. I would never go back to a 2 door Jeep, much less one without power windows, locks, etc.

But I understand why some owners like the 2 doors and/or a bare bones Jeep.
Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
As a first time Jeep owner, I wanted to go with the base Jeep experience, roll up windows the whole deal. I figured I have to earn my way into all the things that grandma gets on her Buick, heated seats, auto-climate control, safety warnings etc. Although I did get a/c so I can't brag too much. Wouldn't change a thing.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
I will admit I'm on a motorcycle 99% of the time, so I'm coming from a different perspective. 10k miles in a car in 4 years. Also a bare bones JL is still light-years ahead of my '69 with 4 wheel drums and a 318 w/2 barrel carb. (Stay alive, drive 55!)

I have nothing against well optioned Jeeps. I think that at different times in one's life people want and/or need different things.

Does that mean anyone is wrong? Not even a little.

The only thing I don't like how expensive everything is getting... I remember back when a 3 year car loan was standard... Now 5, 6, or more years is normal?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I like the best of both worlds - creature comforts and off road capability in the same package. I drove plenty of no frills vehicles in my youth.... It’s a free country...(for now anyway), drive it stripped if that trips your trigger...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Benw711

Benw711

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
I like the best of both worlds - creature comforts and off road capability in the same package. I drove plenty of no frills vehicles in my youth.... It’s a free country...(for now anyway), drive it stripped if that trips your trigger...
I was not coming at people who love tricked out Rubis and Saharas I was just curious :LOL: I guess I should add that I'm only 21, so don't have kids jumping in the back seats and manual doors to unlock in the rear. I work for a Jeep dealer and we used to sell the crap out of base Sports but our management doesn't order bare bones anymore so I was trying to gauge the public's interest outside of my little town lol.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
I did all that stuff back in the 80's.

NO MORE!!!!

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
i really dont like that they put carpet in them.. i dont want hemi and fancy stereo..

a no carpet and high reliability option, that does not have goofy second battery, avoids anything that is not needed and breaks, has the better alternator, stronger steering, stronger drive shafts...

over build and get rid of all fluff

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I love the toys. The heated steering wheel tipped my scale from building a JK with tons to the JLUR. TJ didn't even have AC. I was ok with that as well.

What's resale like on something that doesn't even have power locks? Back in 98 I think the TJ was one of the only vehicles sold where it wasn't standard.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I started driving my grandfathers 47 Willy's at 7 or 8 and never looked back. Bought a CJ at 14 and drove it through high school and college as a daily driver. Really thought I was cool when in 96, I ordered a new fangled coil spring 97 TJ! It was not my daily driver, as it eventually had 1 tons, an Atlas, and a Supercharger. Then, earlier this year when I broke down and bought a JLUR. I purposely ordered it with as little as possible. I skipped all of the safety equipment and leather. I ordered the tow package, cold weather, and the 8.4. That is it!

The biggest reason for buying one was because my 3 daughters are all much older now and are not comfortable in the TJ rear seat. I was also very impressed with how well one of them in our group has handled the tougher Moab trails like Metal Masher the last few trips we have taken.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
You do and it’s still available to buy in the year 2020, that’s all that matters. Savor every sweet moment of craning over to roll the passenger side window down, and appreciate every time you lovingly penetrate the door lock for these features are soon to be a thing of yesteryear.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I agree. I'm always a bit surprised in the options threads to see people pour on practically everything. It's just not my style even if it wasn't a Jeep. Only option I splurged on was Alpine.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Just me?!

I've had some higher end Jeeps but it seems like everyone loves the Sport S and above now a days lol. I currently have a '18 2dr Sport in Punk'n and a 2dr Willys Sport in Snazzberry on order. I love bare bones Jeeps... crank windows, manual locks, soft top and manual! Who is with me? :like:
If Jeep allowed ordering like they used to, I would one just the way I want. My TJ was a sport and I ordered Dana 44’s and 4.10’s from the factory. I also liked my manual windows, but I also had a TJ = 2 doors.

If one is doing a real build (not like calling... adding bumpers or a partial exhaust system, a build), then starting with a sport, is a nice option.

Last edited:

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Just me?!

Why stop there? Replace the engine with some hay bales and hitch a team of horses to the front bumper. You’d be a rock star in Amish country!
Sponsored