Sponsored

Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?!

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
Are you referring to the ring that must be pulled up in order to engage Reverse gear? I like that particular feature. It reminds me of the same function on manual transmission cars dating back to the 1960s (as so frequently seen at summertime classic car shows.)

Said differently: that particular safety device, whether or not imposed by company attorneys, has been around for 50+ years now.
Iā€™ve owned and driven a number of vehicles with manual transmissions over the last 50 years. The only safety feature I remember (going back to my 65 Mustang) was that you had to push down on the stick when shifting into reverse on some models (or push forward and pull down on the column shifter). I guess I just never ran across one with a safety ring. I donā€™t go to car shows - Iā€™m afraid it might result in an expensive hobby (the Jeep is enough!). The ā€˜62 Chrysler 300 had dash mounted, push button shifting. Didnā€™t like that much either, and absolutely hate its current incarnation as a knob.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I donā€™t go to car shows - Iā€™m afraid it might result in an expensive hobby (the Jeep is enough!).
The car show thing can get expensive. Voice of experience. ;) I'm kind of glad that it's in my rear view now.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
A young, outdoor, adventuresome family needs a four door wrangler hands down. No replacement for pics of thrilled kids, enjoying everything offered by access to and over-nighting in challenging, remote and stunningly beautiful terrain. Those kids come home to tell their less fortunate soccer/football/little league imprisoned friends about family experiences undreamed of by the status quo. Today, outdoor sports for kids are year round career commitments instead of a few weeks of seasonal diversion permitting interruptions for family outings.

The only family off road vehicles offered in my younger years were gas guzzling wagoneers with horrible column mounted automatics driven by the rich, BlazerBroncos or anemic always broken down VW busses. CJs were for wheeling, but not for families. So, we made do with our incredibly capable but cozy Mustang, having decent clearance, short wheelbase, 3sp manual, 302, posi-traction, yet 21 mpg while taching 1800 rpms on interstates. The gearing was long legged and that 302 was torquey. It could idle up anything!
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! Mustanging1
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! Mustanging2

We outgrew the 2 doors and moved into a Subaru. Boys attained 6-4 heights and we moved into the XJ before they started their own families. So, as we Boomers are now back to two, Stellantis emphasizes 4 door Wranglers, while selling extravagant 2 doors at four door prices. So, to order the JLR I want, I still have to buy 4 doors, power windows for the doors I don't want, a stupid console where a fridge shoud go, 2 tops, and a back seat I don't want; costing way more than a 4 door. What I want, as always has been the case, is not available unless you tear off $1000s in factory shit and replace with aftermarket quality and sensibility. I want what's pictured:
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! The Right To
or a 2 door Rubicon Pickup built on a JLUR chassis, half doors, uppers and light weight top with removable panels. Perhaps these will be available wherever I'm ending up in a few years.

Last edited:

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Are you referring to the ring that must be pulled up in order to engage Reverse gear?
I also had a '65 'stang, but I adapted the ring to eject the passenger Bond style.;)

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I also had a '65 'stang, but I adapted the ring to eject the passenger Bond style.;)
I have a "Pull to Eject" lanyard in the Ural's sidecar, attached to the seat. It's technically accurate, insomuch that it connects to a lever that, when pulled, releases the lower cushion for access to a storage tray as pictured here. The lanyard has startled at least one passenger as they got in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! Ural pull to eject

It's a popular theme. The 2019 Limited Edition model included an Eject button from the factory.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! 2019 LE Eject button

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As a 70s kid I have no idea why anyone would want to go back to manual anything...
I think that points to the ironic explanation for why some consumers do seek out simplicity these days.

Like you, I grew up with crank windows, rotary dial phones, car radios with knobs and buttons and drinking water from the garden hose on a summer's day.

A part of me will always remember the reliable functioning of an analog world. It's comforting to have a taste of it again. It's reassuring to know it still exists, even in a reduced form, in this increasingly connected existence of ours.

The power of memory.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
After all the rollover law suits and crash requirements the Jeep got wider and heavier, became something different.
Wider and heavier didn't help here.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! Moot Safety Improvements

Ever since Jeep stopped including the driving instructions printed on lower right dash, roll overs have increased dramatically.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does nobody love bare bones Jeeps anymore?! JeepDrivingInstructions

Blue 179

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys sport wrangler 2 door
I wasnā€™t planning on purchasing mine without power locks or windows. I went to a dealership in my area to look at a couple 2 door sport S soft tops. They had a Willys 2 door soft top in Hydro blue that just hit the lot 2 days prior. I absolutely loved it and didnā€™t care that it didnā€™t have them. It had an auto, AC, and SiriusXM. That was all I needed. Now my wife drives a fully loaded Grand Cherokee and she does not understand this at all. The locks drive her crazy. I think I will eventually pay to have the power locks installed. That being said, I absolutely love my Willys and only wish I didnā€™t wait so long to purchase one.

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
As a 70s kid I have no idea why anyone would want to go back to manual anything....lol.
For me itā€™s about feeling a little bit more in control (illusory or otherwise) of the vehicle.

..... and yes, Iā€™m a terrible passenger - especially in an aircraft.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Bare bones, 2-door camp here for sure...with some utilitarian exceptions, such as tow/HD electrical and LSD. However, I'd never disparage anyone's choice in what Jeep they own or what they do with it. We are all one family of proud Jeep owners, and our vehicles are among few available today that differ so dramatically from one owner to the next, even in stock configuration. That's what makes our community so awesome. Also...we all paid good $$$ for these vehicles, so we can do whatever the hell we want with them, and shouldn't have to worry about being judged. Frankly, it's nobody's business. It's 'merica (here anyway)...do your own thing and enjoy.

With that said, one's perspective is typically based on previous experience and current/future needs. I'm coming from a '99 hard top TJ without A/C and an '80 CJ-5, where the "convenience group" consisted of a glove box and sun visors. On top of that, I've spent nearly 30 years flying bare bones military helicopters and driving HMMWVs, both of which had little to no creature comforts. So...anything that doesn't resemble a farm implement or Rat Patrol rig, offers far more tech/comfort/infotainment than I'll ever need.

Not going to get into power door locks, power windows, or more tech=more problems...we've already beaten those dead horses into glue. However, the only time my previous Jeeps ever left me stranded, was when the ignition module crapped out on my CJ. Think about that...the only thing resembling a computer on that simple vehicle was the only thing that ever left me stranded. Even then, a rolling start got me going again, so I was still able to recover from it without much trouble. Even the most mundane systems on the JL (e.g., brakes) are chock full of computerized subsystems and plasticky components that almost none of us can fix on the trail, which is concerning and sometimes scary. Regardless, we all put some degree of faith in this electronic witchcraft when we hit the trail, much like relying on lowest-bidder aircraft instruments to fly blindly through clouds and stick a safe landing in terrible weather while being shot at. Just depends on how much risk we're willing to accept.

In my case, I want to feel my Jeep when I drive it, be a part of the machine, and enjoy driving as it was intended. Peripheral bells and whistles may be informative, entertaining, and perhaps offer some degree of additional safety, but they empirically and objectively dissociate drivers from that experience. "Infotainment" in particular, just exacerbates this and introduces a potentially dangerous distraction as well. Although I enjoy listening to the stereo (the actual AM/FM radio, btw), I equally thrill to the rhythm of the drivetrain, the the hum of the tires, and the whisper of the wind (smashing) against my (flat) windshield.

Interestingly, when I ordered my "boring" 2-door JL, I unexpectedly tempered my typical utilitarian approach to some extent, and splurged on an automatic transmission and A/C. Twenty years ago, I would have considered it blasphemy, but these creature comforts will just allow me to enjoy my Jeep longer as my age advances and body deteriorates. As stated previously, these are the current/future needs that shape one's perspective, and cannot be ignored, even if you are a hard core minimalist.

Lastly, is the ugly issue of cost. While a completely tricked-out Rubicon might be affordable for many, it seems completely illogical to pay exorbitant prices for options that are clearly not worth it. Stock rock rails, for example...$975 as a factory option, but I can pick one up on Craigslist all day long for under $200 (I got mine for $50, nearly unused). Paying beyond top dollar for these items just supports FCA's high-markup sales strategy, and allows them to have their way with us, especially since there hasn't been much competition for the Wrangler (until now, that is). No way I'd want to reinforce this bad behavior if I can help it. Bad enough that I was forced into buying useless (for me) gadgetry and gee-whiz tech that should have been offered as options in the first place.

So...if you are still reading, just wanted to respond to the op's question, share some of the calculus that went into my recent purchase as a mostly hard core utilitarian, and wish you all the best with whatever rig you're driving. If it's a Jeep...it's all good. :rock:

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thing is, the concept of the ā€œbare bones Jeepā€ sailed a long time ago.

Even if you forego power windows and other modern conveniences, JLs are loaded with electronics: ABS, BLD, EFI, ESS, FAD, OBD, TPMS, TIPM, backup camera, etc.

So giving up conveniences wonā€™t rid you of the underlying electronics. Many of which are the ones that actually break and cost an arm-and-a-leg to fix.

The only way to own a relatively simple Jeep is to buy one built before 1996.

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
If it was my choice I'd have bought a stripped one with manual everything and no A/C just to goof around with on the weekends, but my wife insisted on power mirrors (?) which necessitated moving up to a Sports S. I figured it was a small concession to make to get her on board with me buying one.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Thing is, the concept of the ā€œbare bones Jeepā€ sailed a long time ago.
Concept, perhaps, but not context. ;)

Skim any number of posts on this forum and you'll see wailing and gnashing of teeth when the mere suggestion of owning a Jeep without heated seats and adaptive cruise control is made.

"Bare bones" is a relative term, and not at all obsolete.

If it was my choice I'd have bought a stripped one with manual everything and no A/C just to goof around with on the weekends, but my wife insisted on power mirrors (?) which necessitated moving up to a Sports S. I figured it was a small concession to make to get her on board with me buying one.
One of the JLUs that I test drove, prior to ordering mine, was a Sport with just an LSD and the tow package added to the build. It was a customer order that was refused on the scheduled delivery day.

Per my salesman, it seems the buyer didn't tell his wife that this particular trim level came equipped with manual windows and doors. Not wanting to roll her own, so to speak, she refused to sign as a co-buyer.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
In my case, I want to feel my Jeep when I drive it, be a part of the machine, and enjoy driving as it was intended. Peripheral bells and whistles may be informative, entertaining, and perhaps offer some degree of additional safety, but they empirically and objectively dissociate drivers from that experience. "Infotainment" in particular, just exacerbates this and introduces a potentially dangerous distraction as well. Although I enjoy listening to the stereo (the actual AM/FM radio, btw), I equally thrill to the rhythm of the drivetrain, the the hum of the tires, and the whisper of the wind (smashing) against my (flat) windshield.

Interestingly, when I ordered my "boring" 2-door JL, I unexpectedly tempered my typical utilitarian approach to some extent, and splurged on an automatic transmission and A/C. Twenty years ago, I would have considered it blasphemy, but these creature comforts will just allow me to enjoy my Jeep longer as my age advances and body degrades. As stated previously, these are the current/future needs that can shape one's perspective, and cannot be ignored, even if you are a hard core minimalist.
Not to argue your purchase decision, as that is entirely your own, but I disagree with your thought process. As far as driving experience, feeling one with the Jeep, being part of the machine, etc. your automatic equipped, electronic power steering, traction control aided, supercomputer on wheels is literally no different than our basically loaded rubicon. Everything from my adaptive cruise control to 8.4 Uconnect with nav and alpine system has off buttons. Leave the seat heaters off, and itā€™s as if they arenā€™t there. My driving experience can be identical to yours, although the 37ā€ MTā€™s probably have more hum and feedback through the steering. The illusion of utilitarianism is no different if you choose not to check the boxes on the order or you choose to drive with those luxuries off. The key difference being, I can make that choice on a moment by moment basis. I can drive with all the tech off, doors off (making the power windows and door locks illusion of utility a moot point), and listen to the wind if I choose. When the wife is daily driving it to work in the winter she can answer emails using CarPlay voice controls with the seat heater on and the adaptive cruise control following the car in front of her, hit the window switch at Starbucks, and be on her way in comfort and style. We were going Rubicon no matter what, as we wheel pretty aggressive trails at least monthly, so why not splurge on niceties? I donā€™t get the logic of spending $45k+ and not going for the full compliment of creature comforts, but to each his own. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Sponsored