Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Dear fellow Jeepers,

My front end has developed a slight noise when swaying, so I checked the sway bar links. The right hand side attachment tab on the axle looks like it's bent inside, the left hand side looks like slightly bent outside.
I have a 2021 JLRU with a 3.5" JKS Lift. The sway bar links are JKS, too.

Can I bend it back to vertical? Should I heat it up before bending, or rather not? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Thank you, Dirk

This is what it looks like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Does it have to look like this? IMG_2101
Jeep Wrangler JL Does it have to look like this? IMG_2105
Jeep Wrangler JL Does it have to look like this? IMG_2102

IMG_2104.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
I would use as large a vise like tool I could get on it to straighten it out. How did it get like that?
I donā€˜t know! At 7800km, I have not done any serious offroading, yet. Spent a day in a muddy offroad park is all.
Do you think it could have happened when flexing the axle in the mud? But the swaybar was disconnected all the time, so I donā€˜t think so.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
That seems like it would be hard to do, hence my curiosity. Maybe it was delivered that way? Seems like it would be covered under warranty. Assuming they donā€™t give you the bs ā€œitā€™s modsā€ load of junk.

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
That seems like it would be hard to do, hence my curiosity. Maybe it was delivered that way? Seems like it would be covered under warranty. Assuming they donā€™t give you the bs ā€œitā€™s modsā€ load of junk.
I will try that, even though I'm not too optimistic. Thank you for your comments!

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dear fellow Jeepers,

My front end has developed a slight noise when swaying, so I checked the sway bar links. The right hand side attachment tab on the axle looks like it's bent inside, the left hand side looks like slightly bent outside.

Can I bend it back to vertical? Should I heat it up before bending, or rather not? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Thank you, Dirk

IMG_2101.jpeg
IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2102.jpeg

IMG_2104.jpeg
Hey Dirk, It looks like the passenger side is creating the noiseā€¦.. The drivers side is ok, even though itā€™s slightly bent , it still looks like itā€™s sitting good.

After you exhaust all other fixes, and itā€™s still a problem, you can just cut that tab off and turn the link around and bolt it to the track bar bracket. JKS has you do this in the instructions for their Quick Disconnectsā€¦..
Cut where yellow line is in pic, and bolt it where the yellow arrow is pointing in the other picā€¦ā€¦.. youā€™ll have to remove the mud first of courseā€¦ā€¦.šŸ˜‚ ā€¦..

This should get you back on the trail clunk freeā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.āœŒ

Jeep Wrangler JL Does it have to look like this? 17EF4A18-8855-4B0B-923C-2F977263E5DF

0D8A817C-DD92-4AAB-A07B-3AFA2389D098.jpeg

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Hey Dirk, It looks like the passenger side is creating the noiseā€¦.. The drivers side is ok, even though itā€™s slightly bent , it still looks like itā€™s sitting good.

After you exhaust all other fixes, and itā€™s still a problem, you can just cut that tab off and turn the link around and bolt it to the track bar bracket. JKS has you do this in the instructions for their Quick Disconnectsā€¦..
Cut where yellow line is in pic, and bolt it where the yellow arrow is pointing in the other picā€¦ā€¦.. youā€™ll have to remove the mud first of courseā€¦ā€¦.šŸ˜‚ ā€¦..

This should get you back on the trail clunk freeā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.āœŒ

Jeep Wrangler JL Does it have to look like this? 0D8A817C-DD92-4AAB-A07B-3AFA2389D098

0D8A817C-DD92-4AAB-A07B-3AFA2389D098.jpeg
That is great advice, thanke you very much Roky! šŸ‘šŸ»

Sponsored

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
How were you even able to get the bolt through that bracket?
I wasn't. Here in Germany, it's a bit tricky to be street legal with any type of modification to the suspension. So I had the lift installed by a shop and MOT it by their associated surveyor.

While writing this, it clicks: I will check exactly your question with the shop immediately. How did they do it? Doesn't look like it's possible.

Hard to see the obvious at times: Thank you very much for asking the right question!

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
Dear fellow Jeepers,

Thank you, Dirk

IMG_2101.jpeg
IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2102.jpeg

IMG_2104.jpeg
With how close that is to the track bar, I would say that whoever installed it had to bend the tab to get the bolt through there for the sway bar rods. It doesn't look like a very good design to me. Have you looked at a stock Jeep or another lifted one to see if the orientation of the bolt is the same.

OP
OP
Il Commandante

Il Commandante

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
With how close that is to the track bar, I would say that whoever installed it had to bend the tab to get the bolt through there for the sway bar rods. It doesn't look like a very good design to me. Have you looked at a stock Jeep or another lifted one to see if the orientation of the bolt is the same.
Exactly this: Just got the answer from the shop, they bended it to get it in. Not sure what to think about that, but at least I know why it's bent now.
Sponsored