Sponsored

Does insurance take care of the cost of repairs or replacement of windshields?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It counts as a comprehensive claim, at least in Colorado. I just got my insurance renewal and there's 3 dings on the CLUE report for "free" windshield replacements over the last 2 years or so. I suppose if I got enough of them they'd drop me.
The Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange does record everything. Even inquiries when claims are not made. Depends on State but some insurance companies supposedly use 3 years to calculate rates.
Sponsored

Last edited:

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I also suspect in Florida our rates are higher to offset the zero deductible anyway.

Deleted member 59098

Mine cracked before the first oil change and I was on the $500 deductible. Reading all these posts about cracks, I went on the $0 deductible plan. There’s always rocks and garbage flying around all over the place here in Cali on the freeways.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I also suspect in Florida our rates are higher to offset the zero deductible anyway.
I suspect this is true. We all pay one way or another. Pick your poison.

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
Agree with above responses. I had mine replaced for free, by insurance.
Random comment on Gorilla glass- I was chatting with glass installer, while he was doing job and asked about Gorilla glass.
He did not recommend it……he said that the glass is so thick/hard that there is a risk that it pops off the window frame(instead of breaking/flexing) in a crazy collision. Then he proceeded to tell me that the vehicles overall structural rigidity can be compromised without the glass. Not sure I buy that theory, but sharing just cause.
I think a knowledgeable GG glass rep would refute the installers claims as tall tails. He may want to go back to his job at the car wash. GG is thinner then standard windshield glass, around 30% lighter and it's also slightly more transparent.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Our insurance (Allstate) will pay 100% for a windshield repair but if it needs to be replaced they would subtract our $500 deductible from the total cost. Safelite can repair a chip or crack as long as it does not exceed 6". We've had our JLU windshield repaired twice already in a little over a year of ownership. Our previous JK only had one crack (had to be replaced) in the 7.5 years we owned it.
Sponsored