Sponsored

Does insurance take care of the cost of repairs or replacement of windshields?

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
School me On windshields. If one breaks or cracks which is likely to happen to jeeps, does insurance take care of the cost of repairs or replacement? Does the wrangler warranty cover it? How do people deal with this issue? I declined the gorilla glass option because of fears that it will hold up my special order build. Plus I feel its a gimmick. Jeeps have been without gorilla glass for 80 years...just sayin
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
School me On windshields. If one breaks or cracks which is likely to happen to jeeps, does insurance take care of the cost of repairs or replacement? Does the wrangler warranty cover it? How do people deal with this issue? I declined the gorilla glass option because of fears that it will hold up my special order build. Plus I feel its a gimmick. Jeeps have been without gorilla glass for 80 years...just sayin
Jeep won’t cover it any more than they would cover any other body impact damage.
As far as insurance depends on your coverage and where you live. I live in South Carolina. By law every insurance policy must cover windshield glass deductible free. Granted our insurance is higher than most as a result, but it’s covered.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Cowboy from hell

Is NOT covered under warranty

In certain States, (i.e. NY, SC) window glass coverage is included on the auto insurance policy.. Insurance carriers legally have to have that included.

Best bet if not in a State where you have window glasses coverage is to contact you insurance agent and have window glass coverage added.. Yes, it will cost you a few $ more each billing period but well worth it.....

As for Gorilla glass.... I have a local friend that had Gorilla glass installed on his JL..... two weeks later he had a very small stone hit his windshield and had to have his windshield replaced.

When you need window glass replacement, do not go to the dealer. Go to a decent auto glass installer. Safelite is one that many many here use... Safelite can also program your safety feature in regard to the new windshield.

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Agree with above responses. I had mine replaced for free, by insurance.
Random comment on Gorilla glass- I was chatting with glass installer, while he was doing job and asked about Gorilla glass.
He did not recommend it……he said that the glass is so thick/hard that there is a risk that it pops off the window frame(instead of breaking/flexing) in a crazy collision. Then he proceeded to tell me that the vehicles overall structural rigidity can be compromised without the glass. Not sure I buy that theory, but sharing just cause.

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Windshield is covered in MA. Just make an appointment with a windshield replacement company and they take care of getting paid by your insurance.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Windshields are covered under your Comprehensive coverage. Whether you have $0 deductible for that is up to you and/or your State.

It's not mandatory to be free in CO, so I have $0 glass deductible but $1000 comprehensive deductible.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Then he proceeded to tell me that the vehicles overall structural rigidity can be compromised without the glass. Not sure I buy that theory, but sharing just cause.
Well, that's certainly not true on a JL. It's plausible on other vehicles that don't have body-on-frame construction and a fold down windshield that bolts to a separate roll cage.

MorningStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Had to have mine replaced a few weeks ago. A chip turned into a crack and got bigger throughout the week. It was covered under my comprehensive insurance with a $250 deductible. Went through Safelite. They did a great job, and I even got a new windshield with the Willys in the corner so I was happy about that.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine got nailed on the way to NC for vacation from OH. My wife called Insurance Company on while on the road immediately and set up for Safelite to come to our vacation house the following week. Replaced it with OEM Mopar glass at no cost to us as long as we used Safelite (approved insurance vendor). The bill was like $738. ouch.

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Get yourself a $0 Deductible Comprehensive plan. It only adds a few bucks and it makes it easier to force a full replacement. Only bad thing about replacement glass is you don't get OEM Glass, so you lose the Easter Egg.

If the chip is in the field of vision, you can push for replacement, otherwise they try and force a Safelite Repair.

Sponsored

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Depends on your state. Florida has a policy in place that covers windshield replacements with $0 cost to vehicle owner. If your state doesn't have this, check with your vehicle insurance provider.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Get yourself a $0 Deductible Comprehensive plan. It only adds a few bucks and it makes it easier to force a full replacement. Only bad thing about replacement glass is you don't get OEM Glass, so you lose the Easter Egg.

If the chip is in the field of vision, you can push for replacement, otherwise they try and force a Safelite Repair.
A quick google search can find companies that sell those windshield decal kits with the Jeeps and grille for around $15. We had the windshield replaced in our old JK. An aftermarket alternative was about 1/2 the cost of OEM. I went on Amazon and found the decal kit and added the decals to the windshield myself. It looked exactly like the original.

Also, that aftermarket replacement never cracked for the remaining 5 years we owned it.

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
A quick google search can find companies that sell those windshield decal kits with the Jeeps and grille for around $15. We had the windshield replaced in our old JK. An aftermarket alternative was about 1/2 the cost of OEM. I went on Amazon and found the decal kit and added the decals to the windshield myself. It looked exactly like the original.

Also, that aftermarket replacement never cracked for the remaining 5 years we owned it.
Yeah, I know the stickers are out there. I also know the replacements are good. PGW makes great windshields.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Depends on your state. Florida has a policy in place that covers windshield replacements with $0 cost to vehicle owner. If your state doesn't have this, check with your vehicle insurance provider.
I believe it also doesn't count as a claim. In Florida Safelite will hunt you down. Their sales reps walk neighborhoods and sometimes hang out at dealer service departments.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I believe it also doesn't count as a claim. In Florida Safelite will hunt you down. Their sales reps walk neighborhoods and sometimes hang out at dealer service departments.
It counts as a comprehensive claim, at least in Colorado. I just got my insurance renewal and there's 3 dings on the CLUE report for "free" windshield replacements over the last 2 years or so. I suppose if I got enough of them they'd drop me.
Sponsored