Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Banned
Looking to regear my JLUR. Debating between somewhere locally or road trip to Colorado to have a shop out there do it. Finding that shops have a preference on what gears they wanna use. Not sure if it’s familiarity or they get kick backs for endorsing a gear brand. Does the brand matter? I really wanted to do Dana Spicer gears since that’s who makes the axle. There is a shop near me that’s apparently only does Yukon gears. At the end of the day, I want it to be as reliable as the factory gear set. Thoughts?

thanks!
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We’ve installed a ton of Dana spicer and lately used some revolution gears. I think Yukon comes with a lifetime abuse guarantee???

They seem to be all made to extremely high standards but for my personal Jeep, it has Dana spicer 5.13s. However, that was also because they were the only company producing them when I regeared. I’d feel comfortable with any of the three listed.

Brett

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
All gears come from the same 3 or 4 places. Dana has their own plant in Indiana and most other “made in USA” gears will come out of US gear in Chicago. Then most of the other aftermarket brands will pull from the same plants in China, Korea, India.

I like to buy US made stuff out of principal but gear setup matters way more than brand or country of origin. You can buy some high dollar lapped and polished and cryotreated gearworks stuff but if they are set up wrong then a no name Chinese gear will be stronger and last longer.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Scrape. Set up is the most important part of the whole gear change. Setting the proper shims, pre-load, mesh/backlash etc. I haven't done it yet in my JL, but have had it done twice in my SD because I followed other peoples advice versus following my math for the ratio change. Another issue (which always starts the great debate) is the break in cycles. Some say don't do it because if they were set up correctly you shouldn't have a problem. For shits and giggles I do the "proper break-in" and fluid change out of caution, and force them to pull the cover and inspect vs just drain and refill. At the end of the day, I rather have it caught vs being blamed for whatever BS they may try to pull down the road.

I also have used Dana/Spicer ring and pinion, and master install kit for the Super 60 front twice. For the rear the first time around they had to use Sierra gear. At the the time nobody was really making a ring and pinion for a Sterling 10.5 with 37 splines in 4.10. Never had a problem in the 3 years they were in. I ended up taking it down a notch to 3.73 and was able to obtain Ford OEM for the sterling.

I assume a particular shop may like to use a specific brand they're partnered with because they are more familiar it after doing multiple gear changes for customers and also probably get a good price on it. Now whether they pass it on to you is a while different story. I would ask if you're not comfortable with the parts they're using, if they would be ok using what you will supply. It may cost you a little more. If so, I would call up either East Coast Gear Supply or West Coast Differentials. They will make sure you have everything you need to do the job.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Setup is an entirely different thing I have an issue/question about. There just aren't a lot of shops around me (Des Moines, IA) that do gear swaps regularly enough that I feel comfortable that they know set up well. From the videos I've watched of companies like Danatrac, there is a lot of knowledge that goes into setting up gears correctly. For that reason alone, I'm debating heading out to Northridge 4x4 in Denver. That would also resolve the brand issue because I think they stock many brands.

This would be my first gear swap so I'm probably overly hesitant to let just anyone do it.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Setup is an entirely different thing I have an issue/question about. There just aren't a lot of shops around me (Des Moines, IA) that do gear swaps regularly enough that I feel comfortable that they know set up well. From the videos I've watched of companies like Danatrac, there is a lot of knowledge that goes into setting up gears correctly. For that reason alone, I'm debating heading out to Northridge 4x4 in Denver. That would also resolve the brand issue because I think they stock many brands.

This would be my first gear swap so I'm probably overly hesitant to let just anyone do it.
Rightfully so! It's critical that they are set up correctly, and I completely understand when when you may have to travel to have them done. I have 1 maybe two shops 45 minutes away, and even then I am not 100% thrilled about. I rather take it to a shop that's more familiar with the axle vs the first time I had my truck geared, I told them it's a revised axle and it's a 37 spline. They ignored me, then called me the next day saying there will be a delay because they ordered the older 35 spline set. It really makes you wonder at that point. When I cross that bridge, I will probably take it to a larger city and have a legit off-road shop/jeep shop handle it.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
All gears come from the same 3 or 4 places. Dana has their own plant in Indiana and most other “made in USA” gears will come out of US gear in Chicago. Then most of the other aftermarket brands will pull from the same plants in China, Korea, India.

I like to buy US made stuff out of principal but gear setup matters way more than brand or country of origin. You can buy some high dollar lapped and polished and cryotreated gearworks stuff but if they are set up wrong then a no name Chinese gear will be stronger and last longer.
Do you happen to know where Yukon gears are made? Their website doesn't say "Made in the USA" anywhere, so I'm going to guess they're not. I also like to buy US goods when I can. Especially when they're the same price.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Do you happen to know where Yukon gears are made? Their website doesn't say "Made in the USA" anywhere, so I'm going to guess they're not. I also like to buy US goods when I can. Especially when they're the same price.
It's impossible to say because of all the re-boxing that goes on in the gear industry. No gear mfg commissions every possible ratio for every possible axle so they will buy from other companies to fill holes in their product line. You could very well find Dana gears in a Yukon box. Or you could find Korean gears, I have no idea. Yukon is a good company though, they inspect every gear set that goes into a Yukon box, you won't get junk.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
On another forum somebody said that Yukon gears are now made in China I don’t know if it’s true but it wouldn’t surprise me I would get Genuine Dana gears:like:

Sponsored

SPR Pumpkin Rubi

First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
skinny-pedal-racing.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR, 04 TJ 1-Ton LS, 4400 U4
Occupation
Sell Jeep Parts
Dana are good gears along with Revolution Gear and Axle. I have been using them in other rigs that I have, Rev. Yukon seems to have some setu issues after changing something in the manufacturing process. The set up is ok, but could be better.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to resurface this thread for a minute....

Had a little COVID delay but back into looking to get my gears done. Finding shops are really opinionated on gears.

One told me only Dana and Yukon gears are noisy. (Local, buy your own gears, won't warranty anything)

Second shop prefers Revolution gears but will install Dana gears because he didn't think Revolution had a JL kit yet. (2 Hours away, actual Jeep shop, warranty if you use his lube products)

Last shop installs Yukon exclusively. (3 hours away, reputable off-road shop, provides warranty under Yukon)

Also, was watching a YouTube video and person was saying that Yukon gears are made by Dana and have the same part number stamped in them... Any truth to that?

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I'm going to resurface this thread for a minute....

Had a little COVID delay but back into looking to get my gears done. Finding shops are really opinionated on gears.

One told me only Dana and Yukon gears are noisy. (Local, buy your own gears, won't warranty anything)

Second shop prefers Revolution gears but will install Dana gears because he didn't think Revolution had a JL kit yet. (2 Hours away, actual Jeep shop, warranty if you use his lube products)

Last shop installs Yukon exclusively. (3 hours away, reputable off-road shop, provides warranty under Yukon)

Also, was watching a YouTube video and person was saying that Yukon gears are made by Dana and have the same part number stamped in them... Any truth to that?
See my previous post about re-boxing. Yes you can find Dana gears in a Yukon box but that is the exception not the norm. It is only done to fill gaps in product lines.

The shops are recommending different brands because the more you work with one company the better prices and service you get, so shops want to sell their preferred brand.

Stay away from the shop that said Yukon and Dana gears are noisy, that’s just a dumb thing to say. Go with either of the other two shops.

Set-up makes the difference in terms of strength, longevity and noise, not brand.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my previous post about re-boxing. Yes you can find Dana gears in a Yukon box but that is the exception not the norm. It is only done to fill gaps in product lines.

The shops are recommending different brands because the more you work with one company the better prices and service you get, so shops want to sell their preferred brand.

Stay away from the shop that said Yukon and Dana gears are noisy, that’s just a dumb thing to say. Go with either of the other two shops.

Set-up makes the difference in terms of strength, longevity and noise, not brand.
I had never heard that about Yukon being noisy so that definitely sounded like a setup issue. Plus they put the burden on me to get all the parts and make sure they were correct... I was very put off by the shop, but that's what I'm working with locally.

So the re-boxing is just hit and miss to fill holes. I see what you're saying.

Between the other 2, you wouldn't have a concern either way? Both appear to be very reputable off-road shops. Both have been super helpful to talk to. Should I just trust their recommendation and their reputation for install? It seems common sense to trust the "expert" but I feel like you can't trust anyone lately.
Sponsored