Sponsored

Does garaging your vehicle every night in winter accelerate rusting?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Do you think it's better to leave your vehicle outside every night in winter, even if you have a garage, to avoid the snow melting every night? Would the melting snow every night accelerate rusting and corrosion? So is it just better to leave the vehicle outside where everything stays frozen?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard it does, but my JK says otherwise. It has been garaged every night, many covered in salt. My garage doesn't get much below 60 degrees, even when the outside temp is well below zero. There isn't any rust where it shouldn't be.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Donā€™t heat your garage. Canā€™t be any simpler than that.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
It did for my dads old Chevy, but I wouldnā€™t loose any real sleep over it

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I'm older (61) and cars today don't rust when compared to cars from when I started driving. I garage all my cars and tend to keep them for 10+ years and my experience would say, garage if you can. I have an attached garage with no heat but even on the coldest New England days the garage rarely go below freezing. It can't be good to start an engine at -10F, which we saw a lot of earlier this month. Also, I worked during one of the blizzards we had early this month and the wheels and undercarriage filled with snow so the car would shake violently above 40mph. I see many reasons that a garage is more desirable, again, if that is possible.

Sponsored

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I'm in a condo with a heated garage with nominal temps in the 70's (20's C) and I have no rust on an eight year old vehicle. In my view, its the best of all worlds. It's wonderful to get into a vehicle that's warm and runs without the stiff ride of frozen tires and suspension. Coming back in, it's hot enough that the vehicle is dry within a couple of hours so that rust cannot propagate further. If you keep a car in an unheated garage, and the temps are above 0 (-17 C), street salt will prevent water from freezing and the cold temps result in minimal evaporation so your car festers in rust conditions 24/7.

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
Ramblin Man
We've always used Rust Check to deal with the issue of corrosion. That stuff works better than anything we've ever found...and it doesn't matter how bad the road salt or warm/cold cycle. When we get our new Jeep, its going to be one of the first things we do...

Pugfug

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro 4-X, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
Ramblin Man
I lived on the Atlantic Coast most of my life, where our vehicles were basically bathed in salt from both the air and from what the put on the roads, starting in November and lasting most years until May. I'm not 100% sure what they put in it, but they remove any of the body plugs, the product is then sprayed on the undercarriage, into the holes in doors, panels, hoods, frame etc and it basically wicks its way into every nook and cranny on your vehicle. I have literally seen dozens of vehicles that have been rust checked looking like new for 15+ years with no rust. Its a yearly application, and if you plan on keeping your vehicle, it still costs less over the long haul to use Rust Check over the factory Rust coating. Having done both in the past, I can attest that I will only ever use Rust Check...ha, ha...and no I don't work for the company...I just love the product!!

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
The garage dramatically helped my 99 TJ. About half of its almost 20 years, it was garaged (non-insulated) in Minnesota (Duluth and Robbinsdale). Minnesota uses as much salt on the roads as anyone. My TJ fared much better than friends rust wise. With the amount of salt put down a lot of it blows around getting on your vehicle even when its parked. By garaging the only body rust I have is a golf ball size spot below each door (which I see on all older TJ's and the winshield and tailgate hinges. I stripped and repainted my windshield hinges at about year 17 or 18. Need to get around to doing the tailgate hinges.
Sponsored