Sponsored

Does factory jack lift Rubicon high enough to mount a 35" tire?

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
Is there a high lift type of bottle jack? I have a 3.5 inch lift on 37s
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
While I do appreciate the input, I'm just trying to jack the Jeep up just a few more inches

But thanks
You pointed out using a cinder block and since a full size cinder block is 8"x8"x16" (nominal dimensions), I assumed that you wanted at least 8" of additional height. My response was tailored towards an 8" increase in height. A couple of rows of cribbing would give you that while also being a lot lighter to handle than a cinder block. It's also a good technique to know and can be used for a lot of different things. If you were just making some cribbing to act as jack stands or help with the height that you could lift a vehicle, you could get away with 12" long cribbing pieces.

Or if you wanted something that would give you a bit of wider base for your scissor jack and at the same time give you a few more inches in height and be completely weatherproof (like the previous Amazon link that was posted), you can go to Home Depot and get a piece of the composite (plastic) decking board and cut it to whatever base support length you prefer (maybe 12") and bolt the pieces together until you get the height that you need. Sounds like you might only need a little but of lift, so maybe 3 or 4 layers would be acceptable.

Another option that can work is to just put a block of wood *on top* of the jack instead of underneath it. The wood will compress / deform slightly and even provide a more conforming trip on the jack point. Either way also means that you are not having to pump up the jack as far. I always put a piece of sacrificial 2x4 on the base of my floor jack in my garage, even when the jack can reach the necessary height on its own.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a high lift type of bottle jack? I have a 3.5 inch lift on 37s
If you are jacking on the axles (as recommended in the JL's manual), then any amount of body or suspension lift is not going to make a difference in the size of jack that is necessary. All that would make a difference in this type of situation (i.e. jacking it up to change a tire) is a change in the height of the tire. Let's say that you have a jack that can at most lift up a vehicle with 33" tires far enough to change the tire and you change to 37" tires. That's a 4" increase in total tire height, but half of that is below the axle and half of that is above the axle. We don't need to be concerned with what is above the axle, so you just need 2" more lift on your jack. Take a short piece of 4x4 lumber, place it on it's side and on top of your scissor jack and you'll be able to lift it high enough as long as you are still using the same axle jacking point. I haven't looked at the JL's scissor jack yet, but you might even be able to bolt the block of wood to the base of the jack and make it slightly more stable. You could even notch out a piece in 2 of the 4x4 pieces so that they could cross and make a lap joint (connect with screws and glue). This would be even more stable.

Now, if you are talking about a recovery jack where you might be jacking from other places than the axles (i.e. the typical scenario for a Hi-Lift jack), ARB makes what appears to be a hydraulic replacement for the Hi-Lift jack, but it's pretty pricey from what I've gathered. Here's one place I saw it listed:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jacks/1060001-arb-hydraulic-jack

$771.40... A bit more expensive... :) And it won't do everything that a Hi-Lift jack can do from what I've gathered. Maybe can't be used as a hand winch?

Last edited:

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
If you are jacking on the axles (as recommended in the JL's manual), then any amount of body or suspension lift is not going to make a difference in the size of jack that is necessary. All that would make a difference in this type of situation (i.e. jacking it up to change a tire) is a change in the height of the tire. Let's say that you have a jack that can at most lift up a vehicle with 33" tires far enough to change the tire and you change to 37" tires. That's a 4" increase in total tire height, but half of that is below the axle and half of that is above the axle. We don't need to be concerned with what is above the axle, so you just need 2" more lift on your jack. Take a short piece of 4x4 lumber, place it on it's side and on top of your scissor jack and you'll be able to lift it high enough as long as you are still using the same axle jacking point. I haven't looked at the JL's scissor jack yet, but you might even be able to bolt the block of wood to the base of the jack and make it slightly more stable. You could even notch out a piece in 2 of the 4x4 pieces so that they could cross and make a lap joint (connect with screws and glue). This would be even more stable.
Oh

Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I have had one of those for several years but mine is AEV. I assume it will work on our JL, worked on the JK’s.
Thanks bud

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

UTME

First Name
T-Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon-X Unlimited Firecracker Red
Check out Safe Jack.

I have the general in ammo can and it’s nice!

www.safejacks.com.

IMG_9179.jpeg

Sponsored

UTME

First Name
T-Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon-X Unlimited Firecracker Red
My new rubi-x was supposed to come with the jack spacer from the factory. It was missing and the dealer is getting me one but the part is currently back ordered.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My new rubi-x was supposed to come with the jack spacer. It was missing and the dealer is getting me one but they are currently back ordered.
I use a hilift jack base….gets it up enough to change my 37s………I also use my Mac daddy impact with a 13mm deep well socket to raise her up….:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Does factory jack lift Rubicon high enough to mount a 35" tire? C5E9275D-B8CC-4422-AFF9-BE1399C8D7AD

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I use a hilift jack base….gets it up enough to change my 37s………I also use my Mac daddy impact with a 13mm deep well socket to raise her up….:)

Jeep Wrangler JL Does factory jack lift Rubicon high enough to mount a 35" tire? C5E9275D-B8CC-4422-AFF9-BE1399C8D7AD
Hmmm. I remember a super nice floor jack hanging around in there somewhere lol

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm. I remember a super nice floor jack hanging around in there somewhere lol
I actually have two, but I don’t take them on the trail, they’re pavement princesses…🙂
Jeep Wrangler JL Does factory jack lift Rubicon high enough to mount a 35" tire? 61AD373E-8B74-4829-8760-BECBF46A7B87
Sponsored

Last edited: