Sponsored

Does factory jack lift Rubicon high enough to mount a 35" tire?

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
Have 35's being delivered Monday and dont have a jack(yet). Bought a pump jack which lifted the rear just barely enough but did not lift front high enough, even for 33's.

Factory jack did lift high enough for the 33's but will it lift high enough for 35's?!

Anyone mount there own 35's? Kinda jack did you use?
Sponsored

Warhawk

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Occupation
Data Engineer / Application Developer
Have 35's being delivered Monday and dont have a jack(yet). Bought a pump jack which lifted the rear just barely enough but did not lift front high enough, even for 33's.

Factory jack did lift high enough for the 33's but will it lift high enough for 35's?!

I haven’t yet, but I would be surprised if the factory scissor jack did anything.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned
I haven’t yet, but I would be surprised if the factory scissor jack did anything.
Actually lifted the front end pretty good...had to wind it up for 20 minutes but does the trick.

Prob need to get a jack that goes 18" high

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
  • Banned

Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Go to y

Go to your local home improvement store and get a 4x2 lumber. Have them cut it in different lengths. They'll be very useful for working in the Jeep.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've used it to change a tire deep in the woods. It works fine for stock tires.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Yes I saw that..says its for JK in the Quadratec catalogue though. Not sure if the JK and JL base on the jack are the same.

Gave me an idea, I'll just use a cinder block to elevate...safe?
No, cinder block is not safe. Use wood instead or a synthetic block made for that purpose.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
No, cinder block is not safe. Use wood instead or a synthetic block made for that purpose.[/QUOTE
No, cinder block is not safe. Use wood instead or a synthetic block made for that purpose.
Yes, i know

Cinder block just popped into head for some reason

I can count to potato

:asshat::asshat:

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, i know

Cinder block just popped into head for some reason

I can count to potato

:asshat::asshat:
The problem for most people who make the mistake of using a cinder block is that they put the load across the holes in the block. For any sort of heavy load, the block will break that way. Orient the block so that the holes are vertical and it will support a lot more weight, especially if you put a block of wood over it to distribute the load across the entire top of the cinder block.

Now, if you take one of the half blocks which are 8"x8" and fill it with concrete, then you can use it in any orientation that you want. You can even put a loop of rebar in it to give you a handle of sort to slide it around under the vehicle or more easily pick it up.

Now, having said that, I would suggest that you learn what "cribbing" is and how to use it. Done properly, it can hold a lot of weight and is a lot lighter than a cinder block (even one that you did *not* fill with concrete). Cribbing is used when they are jacking up houses to be moved or just to raise their elevation to make them less susceptible to floods.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The problem for most people who make the mistake of using a cinder block is that they put the load across the holes in the block. For any sort of heavy load, the block will break that way. Orient the block so that the holes are vertical and it will support a lot more weight, especially if you put a block of wood over it to distribute the load across the entire top of the cinder block.

Now, if you take one of the half blocks which are 8"x8" and fill it with concrete, then you can use it in any orientation that you want. You can even put a loop of rebar in it to give you a handle of sort to slide it around under the vehicle or more easily pick it up.

Now, having said that, I would suggest that you learn what "cribbing" is and how to use it. Done properly, it can hold a lot of weight and is a lot lighter than a cinder block (even one that you did *not* fill with concrete). Cribbing is used when they are jacking up houses to be moved or just to raise their elevation to make them less susceptible to floods.

While I do appreciate the input, I'm just trying to jack the Jeep up just a few more inches

But thanks

011Crmn

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU Sahara. Ordered 9/25 2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator
Vehicle Showcase
In the Army we were taught to jack and or block the vehicle and if that wasn't enough we dug a hole under the tire. Obviously this doesn't work on the hard top. This applied to LAVs and other big vehicles but works for any size vehicle.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
In the Army we were taught to jack and or block the vehicle and if that wasn't enough we dug a hole under the tire. Obviously this doesn't work on the hard top. This applied to LAVs and other big vehicles but works for any size vehicle.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!:flag::flag::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::(:(:(