Sponsored

Does everyone think they are a naster mechanic

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Why do folks that own a $40k PLUS vehicle insist on trying to diagnose and/or fix their vehicle when's it's under warranty?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Why do folks that own a $40k PLUS vehicle insist on trying to diagnose and/or fix their vehicle when's it's under warranty?
Because most dealerships suck and bringing the vehicle in for service is a pain because of that.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I wouldn't invest into anything if I couldn't learn. Warranty or not.

Jeeps turned the corner for me 20 years ago. I had a desire to learn. Most of the best stuff that has ever happened to me came from that desire.

I wish more people could experience it.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
For the same reason I tell the doctor what I think is wrong--if the professionals don't know where to look, they either look everywhere or nowhere because they've got better things to do than respond to 'there's something wrong' with no additional information. ;)

Plus, sometimes the solution is simple and doesn't require a professional to pull a splinter or replace a fuse.

OP
OP
RedundanT

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You tell the doctor what is wrong, you don't diagnose it though. That is the difference.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Because I’m pretty dang good at it and I enjoy it. If it’s expensive or beyond my ability or I don’t want to do it (sun visor repair) I take it to the dealership.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Because I'm smarter than the average bear, and most of your dealership "master" techs can't engage in critical thinking. If the book doesn't tell them what to do, then they play parts darts. If I have a problem, I will study it, research it, understand it, and learn how to fix it.
Big difference between a mechanical/electrical vehicle and the human body....

OP
OP
RedundanT

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Interesting replies and really why I asked. I was a service adviser for two different dealers a long time ago. I learned NOT to diagnose in the drive but let the scanner and mechanic judgements find the fault. While the scanner is a great tool it just gives you a idea where to start. There is a BIG difference between a mechanic and a parts changer. Sadly a lot of young dealer mechanics are just part changers.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
One of the reasons I am able
You tell the doctor what is wrong, you don't diagnose it though. That is the difference.
Interesting replies and really why I asked. I was a service adviser for two different dealers a long time ago. I learned NOT to diagnose in the drive but let the scanner and mechanic judgements find the fault. While the scanner is a great tool it just gives you a idea where to start. There is a BIG difference between a mechanic and a parts changer. Sadly a lot of young dealer mechanics are just part changers.
A mechanic is not a doctor and that is an apples to oranges comparison.

Bottomline is that I am the one who spends all the time with, in, under, and around my Jeep, as well as conduct diagnostic research to what the problem might be. The mechanic does what the service advisors tell them to do.

I am able to communicate what is wrong with a service advisor, even sharing TSBs, but I don’t ever get to speak to the mechanic. More often than not, the service advisor doesn’t accurately capture what the customer is saying (or chooses to interpret it themselves) that sets up successful communication to the mechanic and vice-versa. I have witnessed it in the service tickets write-ups and the one time I was able to speak to the mechanic, he clearly stated “they didn’t tell me that”.

But in the end you answered your own question, times have changed and there are unfortunately more “parts changers“ than mechanics.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting question, because some, if capable, would rather work on their own vehicles. If it's a recall/steering stabilizer, paint bubbling on hinges, or that type of warranty work, I would take to dealer. Otherwise, for oil changes, (which are very simple, in a jeep by the way) or other minor things, I would do myself. There are some on this forum who are probably very good mechanics, and they deserve to work on their own cars. Dealers probably would not do their Jeep service as good as they can. If you are not skilled in this area, then you take your chances at the dealership. Either way to each their own. That's the beauty of owning a vehicle like a Jeep.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I know my limits. They're pretty far away from my shop though.

I don't believe anyone is a master anything, except for adding bait.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I r no how use hammer...duh. If it leak, tape or glue it...if it dont fit, make fit. I gud at werking on jeep
Sponsored