Sponsored

Does Electric Engine Provide Any Power Once Batteries are Depleted?

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I feel like I might be embarrassing myself by asking such a dumb question, but I'm just not sure how the engines work just yet. So I know we have the gas engine and the electric engine and combined you get 375hp and 400 torque, but even in e-save mode the batteries still draw down. My main reason for getting the extra HP was so I can more confidently tow my teardrop trailer up in the Shenandoah mountains. I'm like 100 miles from where the elevation starts so by the time I get there the batteries will be depleted and I won't have the extra power, right? Or does the electric engine somehow still work to provide that extra HP?
Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I feel like I might be embarrassing myself by asking such a dumb question, but I'm just not sure how the engines work just yet. So I know we have the gas engine and the electric engine and combined you get 375hp and 400 torque, but even in e-save mode the batteries still draw down. My main reason for getting the extra HP was so I can more confidently tow my teardrop trailer up in the Shenandoah mountains. I'm like 100 miles from where the elevation starts so by the time I get there the batteries will be depleted and I won't have the extra power, right? Or does the electric engine somehow still work to provide that extra HP?
There are two settings in eSave. One maintains battery charge at what it was when you put it into eSave and the other actual uses engine power to recharge the battery (to 95% max) in about two hours of driving at 50-55 mph. The battery level should not drop in either setting.

Even after hitting <1%, these is still battery power available for assisting the engine, but I don't know how this will work up a sustained incline. You'll be a good test case for us. You could put it in eSave for the first 100 miles to reserve the battery power for the climb, but I suspect that the 2.0 gas engine will pull your teardrop up the mountains just fine by itself unless you're pulling more than the rated weight.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Thanks Dryver, so I'm not aware of the two settings for e-save. I know there are three buttons to choose from on the left of the steering wheel. So you are saying there is another way to make a selection even after hitting "e-save" to lock down what ever battery power you had when you unplugged? How do you do that? I guess I need to spend some more time reading the manual...ugh. Even in e-save I still see the battery power declining, so not sure what's up with that.

Yes, the basic 2.0 Turbo tows my camper EXCELLENT!! I towed this same camper with a 2018 Turbo JLU Sahara for two years and I never even felt it back there! I was super pleased with the performance of that engine alone, so you are right that I should be just fine. I just though it would be super nice to have that extra power over a more sustained climb. I never towed in mountainous areas with the 2018, but I think it will be fine like you said. My camper is under 3000lbs fully loaded and I will be further cutting back for that particular trip.

Hakan

First Name
Hakan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
The extra e save setting are in the settings menu on the display. Select apps then find Hybrid Electric Pages
There is a e-save button lower left that opens next menu
Ther you can select it it should charge battery while driving (cost extra gas)
Or use energy from braking and coasting. I use this setting
Seems to keep battery at level it was or even fill it more during some downhill drive.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does Electric Engine Provide Any Power Once Batteries are Depleted? IMG_5757.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Does Electric Engine Provide Any Power Once Batteries are Depleted? IMG_5758.JPG

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
In normal eSave the battery should maintain the same charge level it started with. If you go into the on-screen settings, there is an option to check a different box that actually increases the charge level as you drive. I have that checked and drove two hours yesterday to Shenandoah with Max Regeneration turned on. My battery level went from 1% to 30%. Did the same thing on the way home and got up to 65%. I think it costs you some gas mileage to do this, but I'm not sure how much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
HELLO! TFL? We need a tow video w/ the 4xe Stat!
I just towed my camper with it this past weekend. You don't even feel it taking off from a stop light, etc. Like I said it tows amazing without the extra HP (past experience with the 2018 JLU Turbo), but even better with it obviously. Not sure how to do a tow video?? Also, what is TFL?

no.sleep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Billet Silver JLUR 4xe
I just towed my camper with it this past weekend. You don't even feel it taking off from a stop light, etc. Like I said it tows amazing without the extra HP (past experience with the 2018 JLU Turbo), but even better with it obviously. Not sure how to do a tow video?? Also, what is TFL?
TFL does independent reviews of cars, with tons on Jeeps. The Fast Lane on YouTube. Here’s their car channel:
https://youtube.com/c/TFLcar

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I have the largest jet ski you can buy and I didn't even know it was back there. I know people are pulling more but I was very happy.

OP
OP
robynE

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Ok so based on the screen shots above, I went out and started the Jeep, pushed the esave button, jeep remained in only battery mode but as soon as I unchecked battery save and checked battery charge the gas engine started immediately. So, in e-save/battery save the Jeep uses both battery and gas (this doesnt make sense to me still) which isn't desirable if you want to save ALL your battery to use at your destination. Now, with e-save/battery charge the Jeep starts and stays only in gas engine mode. I'm still trying to figure this out but this is my current assumption! I still need to see how it best charges the battery while driving. I know to use the regenerative braking but I'm going to need to see how the battery charges with the new battery charge setting.

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Ok so based on the screen shots above, I went out and started the Jeep, pushed the esave button, jeep remained in only battery mode but as soon as I unchecked battery save and checked battery charge the gas engine started immediately. So, in e-save/battery save the Jeep uses both battery and gas (this doesnt make sense to me still) which isn't desirable if you want to save ALL your battery to use at your destination. Now, with e-save/battery charge the Jeep starts and stays only in gas engine mode. I'm still trying to figure this out but this is my current assumption! I still need to see how it best charges the battery while driving. I know to use the regenerative braking but I'm going to need to see how the battery charges with the new battery charge setting.
When in normal eSave, the battery still gets you moving from a start, then the engine kicks in. As I said, the battery still contributes, but the percentage never drops. The engine will also cut off from time to time when going downhill or even on a flat sometimes.