First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '12 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins
Occupation
Retired
Hello all, getting ready to order a '19 2 door Sport S Wrangler. The question, if I order a Punkin or Red, or a bright color vs ordering a genetic color like Gray or White would that affect value at trade in time.

Ie: it would narow down the prospective buyer pool due to it being some bright color.

Thinking either Punkin or Red...

Jim
Sponsored

DanPop

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Unlimited Sport S
A 2 door is going to hurt more than a color choice. I went with unlimited because a 2 dr had lower residual at lease end, meaning higher lease payments.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I imagine losing $500-$2,000 on trade or private sale down the road. But, I think that money is worth it, divided over the years, to drive what I want.
Don't sweat it; drive what you want.
Another thing to remember is that if you get mods, that money will be lost too. But, again, you'll be driving what you want.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Total guess but on trade in I don’t think it’s taken into account unless KBB bases prices on color?

Private party maybe there more demand for certain colors but it’s more of a speed of sale issue not price.

Get what YOU want. Not what you think the next owner will. Next owner will be paying a lot less.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
It does, as the crazier the color- the smaller the pool of buyers. For example, there is not an extra charge for yellow. However, the general buyer would lean to silver before yellow. That means you have a smaller statistical pool, and therefor a more traditional color would lead to a higher amount of borrowers.

Now, that’s just a long way to also say that a person wanting yellow may negotiate less if they found the more rare color in the wild. So in theory it could level out.

I used to be in the car business and I can only caution that the odd colors are harder for a dealership to sell. I can’t tell you how many orange or green cars sat until the end of the model year and our boss told us to take just about any offer. That also means the same dealership will mentally adjust when it comes to accepting a trade of that color.

But if you sold as an individual, the buyer will be seeking that color, so you have more control.

You have to decide if that’s your end game or if you just want to be happy when you are the owner and let the future market be the future market.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
It does, as the crazier the color- the smaller the pool of buyers. For example, there is not an extra charge for yellow. However, the general buyer would lean to silver before yellow. That means you have a smaller statistical pool, and therefor a more traditional color would lead to a higher amount of borrowers.

Now, that’s just a long way to also say that a person wanting yellow may negotiate less if they found the more rare color in the wild. So in theory it could level out.

I used to be in the car business and I can only caution that the odd colors are harder for a dealership to sell. I can’t tell you how many orange or green cars sat until the end of the model year and our boss told us to take just about any offer. That also means the same dealership will mentally adjust when it comes to accepting a trade of that color.

But if you sold as an individual, the buyer will be seeking that color, so you have more control.

You have to decide if that’s your end game or if you just want to be happy when you are the owner and let the future market be the future market.
That's not quite right, at least according to the statistics. See the recent study by iseecars.com:

https://blog.iseecars.com/color-matters-in-car-resale-value/

Yes, this is for all vehicles, not just Jeeps, so the depreciation is greater than you'll see on a Wrangler. But, as noted in the article, "These colors topped the list for the least depreciation across virtually all body styles and market segments."

No doubt, white, silver, black, and gray are bought by the majority, and are quick movers. But while they may sell fast, they sell for less. Where the average amount of time a three year old gray car takes to be sold is 41.4 days, the average yellow is only 8 days behind at 49.5 days. Basically, it's over a month in either case, and on average both will sell in the same monthly sale window. Yet the depreciation on the gray car is 7.5% greater than that of the yellow car (29.5% for gray vs 22.0% for yellow).

As a dealer, I could see that extra 20% on time to sell as being undesirable, although as noted you're likely looking at roughly the same monthly sales window. And the difference in value is non-trivial (which should translate to a nicer profit for the dealership). Seems a little short-sighted to me, but who am I to judge on business strategy.

As an individual seller, however, I'll gladly trade a week for an extra ~7.5%. So, I humbly suggest the Punkin if you like it, as orange has the lowest depreciation (much lower than red). As for me, I'm torn between HellaYella and Mojito!, because while resale matters, as @Waiting said, drive what you want.

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Paint color isn't the only factor. The three things that will probably affect it the most are paint color, leather vs. cloth, and black vs tan. This is significantly more compounded in Jeeps when you factor in soft tops, hard tops, and their respective colors. Oh and black vs painted flairs. With a Jeep it's not going to make that much difference to let future owners preferences dictate your preferences now. Kinda like the guy with a supercar who never drives it is just preserving it for the next guy. From a color standpoint a McLaren for example in papaya spark will sell faster and for much more than the same car in plain white even with the added cost of the paint factored in.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I buy/sell a lot of cars so resale value is important consideration for me. I normally stick to black, grey, silver, etc. Many of the cars I've bought/sold have been pick-up trucks.

Potential buyers may be open to a wider array of colors when it comes to wranglers. But there's limits to that as well..for example...a purple jeep.

As mentioned above, I do believe 2 door vs 4 door will be a bigger factor.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
That's not quite right, at least according to the statistics. See the recent study by iseecars.com:

Yes, this is for all vehicles, not just Jeeps, so the depreciation is greater than you'll see on a Wrangler. But, as noted in the article, "These colors topped the list for the least depreciation across virtually all body styles and market segments."

No doubt, white, silver, black, and gray are bought by the majority, and are quick movers. But while they may sell fast, they sell for less. Where the average amount of time a three year old gray car takes to be sold is 41.4 days, the average yellow is only 8 days behind at 49.5 days. Basically, it's over a month in either case, and on average both will sell in the same monthly sale window. Yet the depreciation on the gray car is 7.5% greater than that of the yellow car (29.5% for gray vs 22.0% for yellow).

As a dealer, I could see that extra 20% on time to sell as being undesirable, although as noted you're likely looking at roughly the same monthly sales window. And the difference in value is non-trivial (which should translate to a nicer profit for the dealership). Seems a little short-sighted to me, but who am I to judge on business strategy.

As an individual seller, however, I'll gladly trade a week for an extra ~7.5%. So, I humbly suggest the Punkin if you like it, as orange has the lowest depreciation (much lower than red). As for me, I'm torn between HellaYella and Mojito!, because while resale matters, as @Waiting said, drive what you want.
I get what you’re saying, but stats can justify anything. For example, orange may have a high comparative resale value, but they also don’t sell a lot of them. They don’t sell a lot of them because there isn’t as high a demand. So those that want orange have lower chances to find it and will pay a private buyer more.

However

As noted by others (and my own personal experience at a dealership)- that comes because they sit a lot longer. So if you want to max the dollar, you’ll need to realistically hold it. The more popular colors sell faster, so you’ll see a lower statistical sell price.

So you can move the needle however you want it to point. My point is that you should always buy a major purchase based on what you want when you own it. If you are trying to guess the market after that point, you aren’t enjoying it when you, yourself, are the one paying for it.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
So you can move the needle however you want it to point. My point is that you should always buy a major purchase based on what you want when you own it. If you are trying to guess the market after that point, you aren’t enjoying it when you, yourself, are the one paying for it.
Ha, agree with this entirely! Sorry @Jlb27537, looks like we're gonna make it hard on you. This is the right answer: other features will be bigger drivers than color in value, and you're much better off buying something you love than something you like for some theoretical future value. Doesn't make your choice for you, you'll need to do that yourself! :like:

OP
OP
Jlb27537

Jlb27537

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '12 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins
Occupation
Retired
Thanks to all. I spent 35 years at the retail level in car dealerships. I look at what it costs by what did I pay for it and what I sold it for. That is what it cost me to own it.

Thus, being 76, buying my first Jeep, and probably my only one, being in Colorado for the past several summers, comming from a Polaris RZR, going to a Jeep, in a RV Park with 1/3 of the folks having a Jeep, in talking with the folks that do the trails here my thinking has changed.

Going with a '19 2dr, Punkin Rubi, 8 sp, hard top. Build shows $42,185 on '18 pricing.

Thanks Jim

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Speaking as someone who wanted both a bright color and manual trans in a previous Gen Rubicon while looking used: I don't think you'll have any trouble selling. It's a smaller pool of buyers but they are usually more motivated and willing to spend a little more for one of those colors. I looked for damn near a year, and I was willing to pay a little more for a TJ Rubi in any of the candy colors (Bright Orange, Red, Blue, Yellow, or Green) in manual trans. I could not find many, let alone one in decent condition. If I had the cash and time, I probably would have flown to the West coast to get one; but I didn't, and so I ended up with Patriot Blue. Not a terrible color, but still a little too common and "boring" for my liking.

And yes, this did play into my decision for my color when buying a JLUR.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD

Black usually has lower trade value because of scratches and swirl marks. I say buy the color you like and don't worry about trade-in value, at best you might lose a few hundred dollars....

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Black usually has lower trade value because of scratches and swirl marks. I say buy the color you like and don't worry about trade-in value, at best you might lose a few hundred dollars....
Sponsored