Sponsored

Does anyone use the "manual" mode on the automatic transmission?

drrobinson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited - Willy’s - White
I use manual mode when towing and especially on downhill grades. You can basically pick your decent speed with the gear.

Also when off road I prefer t ochice the gear rather than having the transmission shift at an undesirable moment.
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Thank you for answering this as well it is good to know because for the first time ever I will be getting a automatic Rubicon with the extreme recon package and I was to concerned with the automatic off road , but thanks to you I will use the manual mode for off road . So in 4 low going down a steep hill would you recommend manual mode in first gear to give me the sufficient engine breaking that I would need in order to go down safely?
Absolutely use it going up or down steep hills in 4 low. I used it on the highways in Colorado to control speed with engine rather than burning up the breaks. Works great.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Like many others have stated, I too use it when off-roading. When I need to "bump it" on an obstacle or I need constant power, I use manual 2.

Rachel Ruby

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys and a 2010 Rubicon
Going down, try "hill descent" button, works the best. But yeah hill climbs and descent, I stick to 1st or 2nd gear mostly.
I have heard some people tried hill descent control going down a steep hill and the Jeep slammed on the brakes, I am not sure I would like that feeling, would the manual mode option in first be more controlled and better engine braking without having to use the brakes

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I use it in out JLUR Diesel to hold 8th gear while on CC. It wants to downshift at any hint of incline while under cruise and sometimes drops 2 or three gears. My 3.8 JK stick will run the same road in CC with no issues.

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
The road to my house is 2 and a half milers constantly up hill on a gravel road from the nearest paved road. I use it daily when leaving my house to save on my having to ride my brakes for the first mile. I usually keep it in 2nd until the grade lessens then I will turn it off and let the Jeep have its head. My house N44.550775 W70.323259

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I have heard some people tried hill descent control going down a steep hill and the Jeep slammed on the brakes, I am not sure I would like that feeling, would the manual mode option in first be more controlled and better engine braking without having to use the brakes
Personal preference. Computer vs doing it yourself. Hill descent uses transmission and brakes to maintain a preset speed. It works pretty good, changing the preset speed could result in the acceleration or braking people have claimed. I usually forget to use it, and just do it myself. :)

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I pulled travel trailer across country and used manual mode the whole time. Worked great on hills and saved a little on gas. Also easy transition to auto mode when we hit traffic or going through town.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
No, it doesn’t. There’s no need to slam the brakes because it’s limited to very slow speeds. If it slams on the brakes then you are sliding down a hill out of control.

Hill descent can be used at the same time as manual shifting. Although hill descent has a maximum controlled speed of 5 or 6 mph so I’ve never been in a situation where downshifting was needed.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Other than the already mentioned uses for me is mainly keeping RPMs uphill, the most common use on-road is when descending on icy roads going around corners you dont want the transmission to downshift it can cause a loss of traction in really icy conditions so I always use M while on a descent if its not perfectly straight.

Sponsored

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I live in Seattle and use it when going down super steep hills. I will use it when off road too.

Ktown

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0
I always drive with it in manual mode. Not a fan of it wanting to be in 5th gear while driving around town. I find it wants to lug the engine to much for my liking. It also shuts off the stupid start stop crap.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I used it while off roading in Moab. Plus I used it when descending Pikes Peak. It was good for Pikes Peak because they check your brake temps about halfway down. Too high, you got to park it.

I'm kind of let down that there was not a post that had something along the lines of, "Just buy a manual. Then you are in full control and nobody will ever steal it." On the other hand, a friend of mine had his Hellcat stolen and it was a manual. So, that theory went out the window. I was a manual only guy for years but gave up as automatics and dual clutch transmissions have got too good. I'm also in motorsports and you can't buy a new manual racecar from a manufacturer any more. There's a reason why they stopped. #1 reason, you can't money shift a paddleshift transmission.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Going down long steep hills on paved roads/highways always use to maintain the desired speed with no brake application. Imagine that if you are towing that would be even more important.

Off road use it all the time to be in the absolute best gear for the terrain or obstacle. Typically I'm in 4LO 1st or second gear, occasionally 3rd, almost never in D.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
I use it two ways:

1. Bigger tires, the Jeep is resistant to go to 8th gear, so sometimes I force it over.

2. Off-roading, in 4 low, use it all the time to force gear selection so it doesn't shift on an obstacle. When just cruising down a dirt road between obstacles, I move it back over to "D" though.
^^^
This Exactly. Have not used it much on the Highway, but I have used it offroading. It came in handy when we were in 4 low (can' remember if I had the 4+ button engaged), and had to go slightly faster between obstacles. You can really control up and down shifts that way. Very nice having a manual when I want it, and an auto when I don't haha.
Sponsored