Sponsored

Does anyone make a lift or shocks for jumping your jeep?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I shouldnt say i am trying to catch air but i need something tough. When i drive around with my friends i like to find farm trails in fields and rip down them. I have a mopar lift with 2 inch fox shocks but i have a feeling the way i drive is gonna toast these things. Or are fox shocks good enough for this kind of abuse?
Sponsored

Sponsored

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Hard & aggressive driving with a JL will require a lot of upgrades and high performance shocks. If you don't upgrade all the weak points you could seriously damage the Jeep or yourself. Jeeps were never designed to be jumped or raced down in Baja, but we can certainly tune a set of Fox 2.5 shocks to work much better than any off the shelf shock.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Get some good bump stops. If you are cheap like me, I've been happy with the Teraflex progressive bump stops. Otherwise, get some hydraulic bumps.

Shocks will be fine until they aren't. Get some that you can rebuild when the time comes and try to maximize bump travel when choosing (see if you can reduce bump stop extension and still clear tires, then choose the longest stroke shock that has a short enough compressed length).

Frames don't hold up? I'm curious to hear what happened and where the weakness is. I've heard ball joints and aluminum knuckles being replaced. Trussing the axle is probably a good idea and have seen older 44s smiling (would love to hear what happened on any JL 44s bending).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Frames don't hold up? I'm curious to hear what happened and where the weakness is. I've heard ball joints and aluminum knuckles being replaced.
A good place to start would be where they changed the Mojave (and 392?) frame.

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I agree with most of the posts here, I would add a couple comments.

1. Anytime you jump a vehicle not specifically built to be jumped you run risk of pretty serious damage. That being said I have had my Cummins Ram in the air many many times in the desert (normally only a few feet vertical ... but a couple of unplanned 6 - 8 foot vertical). I have never broken a single part or damaged anything by jumping...other ways yes, but not by jumping. (Ram has a custom Carli / Kore suspension)

2. You need up travel, really good bump stops (preferably hydraulic), and very good shocks...and axle trusses and limiting straps wouldn't hurt either.

- Up -Travel should be at least 4 preferably 5 inches. (that is before you even touch your bump stop...maybe a touch less with hydraulic stops)
- At least a front (very preferably all 4) set of King, Fox, or Radflo hydraulic bump stops should really help soften landings
- 2.5 inch Kings / Foxes / or Radflos would probably be appropriate and handle the load and usage

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a razr or can am, build a buggy. Or just jump it and say screw it when it breaks buy a new one.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Go look at a Jeepspeed forum, and research what those guys are doing. Also, look at the raptor rear shock thread. You can milk a good bit of travel out of the JL (12" with 33's is pretty easy). Add some pneumatic/hydraulic bumps to the front (side note-raptor shocks are internally bumped, which helps, since it's not easy to add good bumps to the rear of the JL).

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
A good place to start would be where they changed the Mojave (and 392?) frame.
I'd heard about the Mojave changes, but I also had heard the Mojave was always part of the plan and the JL in general benefited. I remember seeing painted portions of the frame for a display and they didn't look different. I'd love to see some hands-on side-by-sides or info of actual failures. Haven't looked into 392 changes yet.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'd say you bought the wrong vehicle, unless you don't care tearing it up. No matter what you do to it it is gonna wear out components faster anyway.
Sponsored