Sponsored

Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant?

Flyernut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
They seem a few hundred too pricey to me, but I have no idea what goes into their production, just wondering what other members who own one think about it, seems like a cool thing to have.
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm intrigued by this product, too, but I can't find much info - videos, images, reviews - about the JL version. Seems like there's plenty of examples and info on the JK version, but for the JL, the most info I see regarding details about the installation are just these two pics from Clearlidz on Facebook:

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? 1606179332586

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? 1606179347628

The Quadratec site has a link to instructions, but they're for the CL200 (for the JK), not the CL300 (for the JL). Not that you need much instructions after seeing these pics, it's pretty clear how it all attaches.

It looks straightforward, but I wonder how well everything works, creaks, seems liable to stress crack, etc. On my Jeep, a few of those rotating handles unlock on their own with the OEM Freedom Panels. I ended up putting O-rings on them to snug them down a bit more.

Can't say I'm liking the knobs poking down from the egress/entry portals. I know my head is gonna meet those hard at some point.

From a few web searches, it looks like Clearlidz was shooting for a sub $1000 market price at introduction, but that ballooned to over $1400 today. :(

Last edited:

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'd use different tops for different seasons. I have an old Corvette with dual tops, one clear, one insulated, so I put the clear top on through fall, winter, and spring, and the insulated top goes on in the summer time. If I can talk myself into the expense of a Clearlidz, I'd prolly do the same schedule.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
If I had those on in Florida just about any time of the year, my brain would be baked. I went with the Bestop Sunrider for hard top. Had one on my '14 JK which had a few small leaks if out in a monsoon. Installed one on the wife's JL at her insistence and found the new design doesn't seem to have the leak problems. Bought another one for my JL also along with a Spiderweb shade and am happy with it.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I watched the install video for the JL, and JK. When 2 people carried it to the Jeep, it seemed to be very flexible, it sagged in the middle. How would it take snow build up is a question. They did mention it has an UV tint so it won't heat up in the sun. Its too pricey for me at this point, but I do like it

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"Made in North America"

okay, but where?
One of the Clearlidz videos mentions "the Midwest", but even "Made in America" could mean that final assembly (before shipment) is in America with all parts produced overseas.

With the nuttiness of lawyering and legal-speak, I half expect "Made in America" eventually could be redefined to include the assembly done by the end-consumer. So, if you assemble your IKEA furniture in your home state of Idaho, it'll count as "Made in America". Ha!

I still shake my head at the term PZEV, Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. I think my Jeep is PZEV...when it's off. And ESS at stoplights counts as off, right? So, I guess I CAN park at those in those Green Clean-Air Vehicle parking spots after all. What were we talking about, again? LOL

Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Installed one of the Clearlidz tops over the weekend. Easy install and really liking it so far. It's an expensive mod, and doesn't increase function I suppose...

...but it's hard to imagine another mod you can do that will dramatically change every single ride you take in your Jeep.

(Assuming you're not running topless of course. That's also a dramatic change. But it's not a mod.)

Read lots of Clearlidz comments here before doing it, and read people say they would prefer it with two halves removed independently, like the freedom panels.

Not a good idea.

I'm posting just to point out that would ruin the effect of the Clearlidz open sky effect, or reduce it almost to nil. The reason is that it would take a lot of molded joining shapes and foam sealing along that center line joint--just like the freedom panels require. All that joining and sealing would create an opaque centerline in the middle that would ruin the wide open view up. You don't care about that with freedom panels because the panels themselves are opaque. Having the Clearlidz in two pieces would result in two small windows up instead of the whole wide skylight effect. Not worth it.

I assume the reason people would suggest the Clearlidz be in two halves is for easier removal/install, since that's the only advantage of the freedom panels being two halves. So it may help to know that the Clearlidz feels about the same weight as one freedom panel by itself. Wish I had weighed it on a scale so I could say for sure, but it felt like about the same weight as only one freedom panel. I installed the Clearlidz by myself the first time, with ease.

P.S. have not noticed any increase of wind noise or more outside sound after the Clearlidz. Sounds the same as with freedom panels. This includes some 80 mph time on the freeway.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I want to see a video of what it’s like to go through a car wash with this thing. I bet it would be pretty fun!! 😳
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? 1668474636394

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I want to see a video of what it’s like to go through a car wash with this thing. I bet it would be pretty fun!! 😳
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? 1668474636394
Minor complaint, but for a $1,500 product they really should include some nice plastic molded spacers to hide the exposed bolts and maybe a set of lower profile bolts, while they're at it.

Imo, those 2 things make an otherwise really neat setup look kinda cheap/jank. I probably wouldn't care as much if this was only $500, but it's far from it.
Sponsored