Sponsored

Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

They’ve been doing this for a long time. The owner says there are over 6000 Jeetop out in the wild and has been doing this since 2009
No... I'm more or less sold on the Jeetops. Was talking about the hinges.
Sponsored

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
No... I'm more or less sold on the Jeetops. Was talking about the hinges.
Ohhhh, the hinges are pretty straight forward. Not much can go wrong. They’re secured with double sided 3m solid along the bottoms side. Edge to edge 3m VHB adhesive. Alongside with some activator or whatever it’s called it’s really in there. There’s so much surface area of adhesive I don’t think it will ever come off to be honest.

While driving, you can’t see them, can’t hear them, no added wind noise it I always feel like someone is gonna tell me “Hey! You left your tops on your roof!!” But hasn’t happened yet. You pretty much totally forget the hinges are there when not using them, and forget your tops are up there when you are using them. Definitely nice not worrying about storing them in the Jeep when you get the urge to take off the freedom panels, not worried about scratching them if you don’t have your panel bag with you, takes about a minute or so to take them off or put them on with a majority of the time allocated to unlatching and walking around the Jeep to do the other side.

Bravedog17

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I am having difficulty fastening the clear lidz with spaces and grab handles --do I need to remove my handles or buy a thinner pair

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
I am having difficulty fastening the clear lidz with spaces and grab handles --do I need to remove my handles or buy a thinner pair
might be worth it to install it without the grab handles just to know how it’s supposed to install and make sure you don’t have leaks. I assume it’s the foam spacer that interferes with your grab handles? If so maybe you could modify the foam spacers with divots/trenches/cut-outs for the grab handles? Or find grab handles that bolt into the roll bar—if such a thing exists—instead of wrapping the roll bar. I have the Clearlidz top and don’t have grab handles mounted, so I’m guessing. I did see other comments about grab handles that did or didnt’t work with the Clearlidz. Maybe on on this thread or another Clearlidz thread.

Very happy with the Clearlidz. After 3 months, can’t imagine having to go without it.

One mod I’m interested in making is somehow adding rain gutter style water diverters to the edges. As snow melts it would be good to divert the water somewhere besides the door. With rain gutters, water doesn’t pour into the Jeep when the door is open.

Sponsored

Crowbar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR, 20JTR
Best mod we have done.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? 8A65BF85-8C96-4E80-B413-8738BFF3D6EA

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? 8A65BF85-8C96-4E80-B413-8738BFF3D6EA
How would you say the wind noise is compared to the freedom panels? More or less or about the same? Any water leaks with this? Like the idea of open top feeling even if weather doesn't permit having a top open. We have a Sunrider on her Jeep and really like it. So convenient to open or close. But I'm really thinking about the Clearlidz for my Jeep.

Birdsong

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wangler, 2021 Silverado Z71
How would you say the wind noise is compared to the freedom panels? More or less or about the same? Any water leaks with this? Like the idea of open top feeling even if weather doesn't permit having a top open. We have a Sunrider on her Jeep and really like it. So convenient to open or close. But I'm really thinking about the Clearlidz for my Jeep.
Wind noise is about the same maybe a tad more, nothing bad at all. No leaks, it attaches at the factor points and has a great seal for above the doors that comes with it.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
+1
wind noise seems the same as my freedom panels. I compared back to back a couple times the first couple days I had the Clearlidz. I took it off to settle it better and make sure installation was right. So in between I drove with the freedom panels again. One windy day, one calm. Couldn't tell any difference.

Really happy with the Clearlidz. Make sure you snug down the 3 bolts/nuts (3 each side) that hold the metal level that clamps to the windshield. Apparently these are sometimes not tightened enough during assembly and can leak, even if you have the Clearlidz installed and positioned right. A little snugging cures that leak.

Can't think of a reason I'd remove the Clearlidz. It's so good to drive with the view and the light. My use has been Fall and Winter so far, so I'll report back in the middle of summer if that's still the case.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
They seem a few hundred too pricey to me, but I have no idea what goes into their production, just wondering what other members who own one think about it, seems like a cool thing to have.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20230314_195148879

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20230314_195158902

Drill a bunch of holes in your roll cage and add some nutserts
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20230314_195338496

Buy a $100 3'x5' piece of polycarbonate from Home Depot
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20230314_195425598

Have a 5% ceramic tint put on it
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20221226_082110275
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20221226_082131235

(These last two photos are from December of last year.)
For me it was under $300 for everything. I believe it was around like $280. It held up extremely well, through multiple severe rainstorms, a snowstorm
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20230124_203155110

Biggest downside to having this version that I did is that it doesn't allow you to put the soft top on. So the only way to run this top is with your soft top completely removed (or hardtop). Also because you can't put a top on, your at the will of the elements. I drove home one day last year when it was 8°f in North Texas. With the 50 mph winds they had that day, It was a feels like temperature of -17 I believe. You could definitely feel it.

I've since put the soft top back on, and plan to leave it on probably until Summer of 2024. I really need to go through and build on this idea. I need to make sure it's more watertight than it was. As long as I was moving, I'd have no water issues inside the Wrangler. The only time I had issues if I was at a standstill, I'd get a little drip on the driver side front door area. Also if it was raining long enough, the rubber matting I had over the sound bar would get saturated and start leaking a little bit. Overall it's really badass and fun to roll with. Definitely more of a summer time kind of thing.

I feel like once I improve on it a little further, possibly even starting from scratch and doing a whole other design style would be kind of fun. I would love to be able to run something like what I've already done with the ability to close the soft top.

Overall I'd say it was worth the money and the time, and the holes in the Jeep, but definitely still room for improvement.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anyone have a clearlidz top or variant? IMG_20230314_195232888
Sponsored