Does anyone actually like start-stop

slh7d

First Name
Sheldon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The ESS is pretty seamless with the 2.0L I have in my JLUR. By the time I lift my foot off the brake and over to the gas pedal, the engine is started and ready to go. If I am doing a lot of stop/starting, I will disable it. Or sitting stopped for a extended period of time and the A/C stops blowing cold, I will disable it. Mostly I am getting used to it though.
Advertisement

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Wait wait WAAAAAIT Dave!! Do what now????? I am trying to understand you. Does it mean there is a way to permanent turn ESS off??? Like I don't have to push the damn button ever again?

Do I need to do it in the Walmart parking lot at midnight? Cause if it has something to do with opening door, stepping on break and the car not being in park - I am a bit worried that I might did some crazy stuff like crashing my car into autozone.

BUT if this is permanent - I would like to try it. Thanks for sharing Dave!

1ff.gif
Not permanent, just a way to avoid shutting off the engine by mistake then it turning right back on which is probably not good...

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR, 2017 GC Trailhawk
I 've noticed ess in my GC seems to operate smoothly when I'm not in a hurry. If I need to get on the gas pedal quickly from a dead stop, my GC hesitates then violently lurches forward once the ess has restarted the engine, even enough to squawk the tires sometimes. Mine also shuts the engine off every time I stop to park only to start up again when I put the transmission into park. Also, it would be nice to have a way to see how much fuel the system saves. I suspect the fuel savings would be very little if any for me considering where I drive.

Last edited:

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car. I bought it from a dealer too far away to go back and complain. If I was worried about it I would have to find a local dealer to do a warranty repair but it hasn't bothered me that much yet. It does have 3 annoying notifications on the dash that I have to just ignore.
Mine hasn't worked right since i got it. The dealer had to replace it after I got Jeep Wave involved. Now it goes on and off sporadically. Annoying!

Hayseed_JLUR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Does it keep me up at night knowing it is there? No. I have learned just to press the button after I start it.

It does bother me that it added pointless weight and cost to my vehicle. If I thought it would be beneficial to me or the trees and wanted it, I would have checked the option box.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would not go as far as to say I like it. But it doesn’t bother me either.

It did bother me to no end during my numerous test drives. To the point that I wouldn’t even buy a JL. But I have grown accustomed to it. In part because I can barely hear the motor; in part because I have driven the Jeep 3,000 miles in six months..

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Does it keep me up at night knowing it is there? No. I have learned just to press the button after I start it.

It does bother me that it added pointless weight and cost to my vehicle. If I thought it would be beneficial to me or the trees and wanted it, I would have checked the option box.
Spot-on!

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I tried to like it, but don't. Turn it off every time. Here are my issues with it.

-on hot days when it turns off you can feel the humidity increase with the ac on
-it's super annoying when you keep hitting a red light for only a second several times in a row
-when I park in my driveway it turns off before I can get into 'P' where it turns back on only to turn back off when I press start/stop button
-my brain sometimes thinks the car is off and without me thinking about it, I press the start/stop button which gives me an error and makes me shift to 'P' then back to drive to get moving, I've done this several times now stopped in a parking space
-in a drive through I've come to the pay window and engine turns off, some time later the worker shows up, my brain (see pattern here) thinks Jeep is off and in park so I take foot off brake to get wallet and SURPRISE!!!

I think the problem is mostly me getting used to it. No engine noise has programmed me to mean car off in park. I constantly find myself reaching for that start/stop button by instinct and as above can be dangerous in certain scenarios.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR, 2017 GC Trailhawk
I tried to like it, but don't. Turn it off every time. Here are my issues with it.

-on hot days when it turns off you can feel the humidity increase with the ac on
-it's super annoying when you keep hitting a red light for only a second several times in a row
-when I park in my driveway it turns off before I can get into 'P' where it turns back on only to turn back off when I press start/stop button
-my brain sometimes thinks the car is off and without me thinking about it, I press the start/stop button which gives me an error and makes me shift to 'P' then back to drive to get moving, I've done this several times now stopped in a parking space
-in a drive through I've come to the pay window and engine turns off, some time later the worker shows up, my brain (see pattern here) thinks Jeep is off and in park so I take foot off brake to get wallet and SURPRISE!!!

I think the problem is mostly me getting used to it. No engine noise has programmed me to mean car off in park. I constantly find myself reaching for that start/stop button by instinct and as above can be dangerous in certain scenarios.
I have had the exact same experience with ESS on my GC so it's not just you. :)

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement