Sponsored

Does anybody know exactly how the Rubicon AWD system works?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve been searching and can’t find a definitive answer. Does it have clutches in the transfer case? Or is the AWD portion strictly gear driven?
I heard it’s it’s clutch based, then I heard it’s an “on demand” type system.
I’ve been searching for an exploded view of the transfer case to inspect the functionality but can’t even find a good diagram.
Has anybody had one apart to see the innards first hand?

My mind tells me is should work just like the TJ Rubicon rear differential did, a gear driven limited slip that is capable of being locked 100%..
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been searching and can’t find a definitive answer. Does it have clutches in the transfer case? Or is the AWD portion strictly gear driven?
I heard it’s it’s clutch based, then I heard it’s an “on demand” type system.
I’ve been searching for an exploded view of the transfer case to inspect the functionality but can’t even find a good diagram.
Has anybody had one apart to see the innards first hand?

My mind tells me is should work just like the TJ Rubicon rear differential did, a gear driven limited slip that is capable of being locked 100%..
The selectrac t-case with the 4h auto is clutch driven, and the amount of torque sent to the front axle varies as needed. The rocktrac t-case without 4h auto is chain driven and torque is split 50/50 between the axles.

The soon to be released Atlas t-case will be the only gear driven option.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392