Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
Nope. For $everal rea$ons. But no regrets, at all.
Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I owned a Mercedes diesel a long time ago. It satisfied my curiosity.

Boghar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, Black, Mopar Lift, 35s
My biggest fear is emissions-not the motor. I owned several diesel vehicles and have seen " The Vehicle will not start in 200 miles" message on the dashboard multiple times. Emission systems are expensive to repair. Still considering getting one though.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
My biggest fear is emissions-not the motor. I owned several diesel vehicles and have seen " The Vehicle will not start in 200 miles" message on the dashboard multiple times. Emission systems are expensive to repair. Still considering getting one though.
P207f

Rubicube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2.0t
The Diesel does get a better transmission as well. I hade a Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel, and the problems and recalls were a deterrent from owning another one. If FCA had chosen a quality diesel engine, I would have chosen that, but since they stuck with the VM Motori POS, I wouldn't consider it even if it didn't cost more

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Got a diesel, and love it. In fact, after driving all the engines, it was diesel or nothing. Towing a boat with 440+tq is easy. Pulling out into traffic is easy. and being different than the other 5000 jeeps in a 5-mile radius is just icing on the cake.

As far as "issues" - every single car I've owned (minus the 66 Mustang I had from 1992-95) had its share of "issues". And, frankly, all of the issues were <1% making waves.

"The LS1 has rear cylinder cooling problems!" - Road raced, autox'd, and daily drove mine for 6 years and never had a single problem. When pulling the engine for mods, all the cylinders looked identical.

"The L76 engine (LS2 with cylinder deactivation) has bad lifters and will cause problems." - Drove mine 137k (hard) miles with 0 issues.

Etc.

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2017 F450, 1986 Toyota Pickup
We live far from the city at high altitude, so I was considering trading in for a diesel to get better mpg and TQ (n/a motors take a big hit up her at 7,700ft). After driving a new rubicon gladiator diesel, I decided it gave up too much of the playfulness of the wrangler 3.6l. Plenty of power, but it felt big and heavy. I love tossing the JLUR around in the dirt too much. I guess if you are one of those expedition gear dudes that load the crap out of your truck, it would be a good decision.
The pentastar/8 spd/4.10s are such a great combo.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
okay...I need a re-rack on the ā€œbadā€ mpg. Iā€™m a child of the 70ā€™s and no stranger to 12-15 mpg in our station wagon on family vacations. Also, recall the ā€™90ā€™s in 27-30ā€™s in my Honda. Iā€™m getting 20-ish, mostly city, mpgā€™s with the 3.6 manual transmission. Is that bad? please tell me if I should be outraged. Because as of now, Iā€™m not...except that Iā€™m no longer sitting ā€œtail gunnerā€ on family vacations.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Iā€™ve embraced the attitude that more torque just means more broken parts offroad. If the 3.6 can bend axle splines, I donā€™t need more torque.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

okay...I need a re-rack on the ā€œbadā€ mpg. Iā€™m a child of the 70ā€™s and no stranger to 12-15 mpg in our station wagon on family vacations. Also, recall the ā€™90ā€™s in 27-30ā€™s in my Honda. Iā€™m getting 20-ish, mostly city, mpgā€™s with the 3.6 manual transmission. Is that bad? please tell me if I should be outraged. Because as of now, Iā€™m not...except that Iā€™m no longer sitting ā€œtail gunnerā€ on family vacations.
Watch the TRL and the trailrecon test drive the new 392 hands down the best Wrangler out there with one exception 10 miles a gallon is what they were claiming while off-roading on stock 33 tires. Anyone that could afford a 72 $80,000 392 Wrangler will definitely put 35 if not 37's which you'll probably equate to 5 to 8 miles a gallon this will be a factor unless they squeezed a 30-gallon tank under the Beast. The stock Rubicon comes one inch higher than all other rubicon's
Sponsored