Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The strict emission standards on diesels have caused chaos.
Failing Def fluid tanks, DPF’s, nox sensors, etc. are proving the Diesel engine very unreliable and these parts fail without pre-warning.
I spent $2,200 last year to replace the def tank in line heater
$5,800 this year to replace the diesel particulate filter (The part of the exhaust system that does the regens.)
That’s $8,000 of wasted money spent on a 5 YEAR OLD TRUCK WITH ONLY 94,000 MILES! Ford F-350 which is lovingly garage-kept, dealer serviced, and hand-washed weekly.
I hope the Jeep diesel differs in some way but I won’t take that expensive chance.
In Massachusetts diesel is $1.25 more per gal than gas.
Delivery vans, contractors, plow operators, local town DPW’s, and people with some basic common sense are all trading for gas engines.

When my diesel senses a fault, it gives me a warning “50 miles to 50mph limit”. Then when those 50 miles are easily used up it says “limit 50mph for 50 miles, then idle.”
If my dealer books my appointment 4 days down the road, I could very easily be stuck in “idle only” mode.

Does your diesel Jeep do the same process when the diesel has a problem????
Is your local dealer available the same day to take your vehicle in?
Do you live close to your Jeep dealer?
Need this drama lol?
Except...many of us are lacking "basic common sense" (a little harsh, don't you think?), so we buy what we like.

On the lighter side, I'm from Massachusetts as well, and in 1972, we were the ONLY state that voted for McGovern over Nixon - the other 49 states loved him - for about another year. Now...that was common sense. :)
Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Except...many of us are lacking "basic common sense" (a little harsh, don't you think?), so we buy what we like.

On the lighter side, I'm from Massachusetts as well, and in 1972, we were the ONLY state that voted for McGovern over Nixon - the other 49 states loved him - for about another year. Now...that was common sense. :)
Sorry it came off a little harsh. Didn’t mean to sorry.
If Jeep’s diesel emissions is a little differently designed, yes I would love to try one. I would buy the extended warranty to be extra safe though.👍

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Sorry it came off a little harsh. Didn’t mean to sorry.
If Jeep’s diesel emissions is a little differently designed, yes I would love to try one. I would buy the extended warranty to be extra safe though.👍
I'd be offended if I didn't do something similar from time-to-time (or, maybe more often than that).

You're right on being extra safe. I have the GEICO extended warranty

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Enjoying my diesel. That said, it's unresponsive off the line and great above 30-40 mph and in the power band. Needs a pedal commander and tune I think. Not that it matters from a cost stand point (more range than anything else), but with the 40's and beadlocks on this week getting ready for Moab (and re-programmed for tire size), it's getting 21 mpg (buddy's truck that is setup nearly identical, sans diesel albeit with D60's is getting 7-8 mpg). Even stock I was only getting 23 or so. It could use a re-gear though if I was going to run these daily (sticking to 37 KO2 though). Will likely go with 4.56's when I buy axles.

On the plus side, heavy tires will cause it to work a bit harder which is good for the engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
Having owned and driven a jku in a Rubicon and the other one in a sport with the reliable 3.6 I had zero issues with the engine. The 3.6 mated with the five speed automatic transmission was horrible on all mountain roads any steep grades going into a headwind without re-gearing you were stuck. Gas mileage, performance and constant downshift made it miserable to drive. When the diesel became available in 2020 it was a no-brainer for B and I've never looked back couldn't be happier not only is it the new 8-speed transmission but with the diesel you get the heavy duty 8-speed which is only available when you buy the diesel along with the diesel you also get the Rubicon Dana 44s front and back and heavy duty brakes and upgraded sound deadening and insulation.
Immediately threw on some 35's m/t lost 6 MPG but still averaging 24 to 26 MPG. Headwinds steep grades Mountain Roads doesn't phase this diesel Beast not load to power but the torque is phenomenal makes every day driving enjoyable you never hear or feel the transmission shift it's holds 8 gear on highways. With 13,000 miles to date I haven't had a single issue I am skeptical though on the Italian diesel but it was proven in the Ram 1500 trucks before being placed in the Wrangler I would never go back 2 gas.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I actually really thought about getting a diesel Gladiator Overland as a work vehicle and putting an ARE shell on it. But after research and increased maintenance cost, small fuel tank to make room for DEF. Plus cold weather issues with diesel and I'm not so sure about putting Jet-A in a modern diesel had me scrapping the entire idea... Plus I was mostly concerned about getting work done in the middle of who knows where fly over country and still needing to get my next location ASAP.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
$4k extra for the diesel plus the oil change cost and maintenance cost on that engine just confirmed I made a great choice.
I never knew diesel oil change/maintenance was more. I’m happy with my 3.6L JLU. But i would have thought that diesel required less maintenance? How much more does that cost? Rough guesstimate is fine. Just curious.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I never knew diesel oil change/maintenance was more. I’m happy with my 3.6L JLU. But i would have thought that diesel required less maintenance? How much more does that cost? Rough guesstimate is fine. Just curious.
The diesel oil change is slightly more due to the quantity of oil needed all Diesel's require more than regular gasoline combustion engines other than that it is comprable to any full synthetic oil change. It's very easy to change yourself you keep the receipts and you stay in warranty I've used the wave program and not paid a dime for my last two oil changes. With the everyday driving torque and Power the diesel gives you it is fun fun fun and a pleasure to drive. If you don't want to re gear and go anything larger than 33 yes by all means just stick with the gas but if you want all the torque and power that's required to remove the larger rotating mass and tires by all means get the torque get the diesel. The gas tank is 2 gallons less everyone makes this sound so much smaller with the 24 to 26 MPG I get with my 35s I wave at the gas station While others are refueling another huge advantage is the little bit of gas while off-roading, I always worried and would watch my gas gauge with the previous 3.6 I am never concerned with the diesel because I know how efficient it is if none of this matters to you just get the 3.6. Almost got the Gladiator drove it with the 3.6 it's as gutless as a Ford Fiesta I would never think twice of getting such a heavy truck with nothing less than the diesel. And for you 2.0 Turbo fans requiring premium gasoline there's a reason they didn't put your engine in the Gladiator....just saying

Sponsored

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
I'm 1,000 miles into my new JLUWD after debating the choice of a diesel for over a year. I can say for certain that, for me, it was the right choice. I have zero regrets. I was cruising up over long steep mountain passes this weekend like they were nothing. It literally upshifts from 7th to 8th while I'm going uphill, fast. At this point, I no longer care about expensive oil changes, fuel filters, or whatever other downstream consequences. I don't care about DEF or DPF or any of that nonsense. I'll cross those bridges when I come to them. None of that matters to me now. I would pay double for those services if need be and still not regret the 3.0D decision. The smiles per gallon are real! And that rumble! I can't even believe I spent so many cycles mired in deep comparison. By the seat of the pants test, the 3.0 is as, and likely more, powerful than our X5 V8.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I'm 1,000 miles into my new JLUWD after debating the choice of a diesel for over a year. I can say for certain that, for me, it was the right choice. I have zero regrets. I was cruising up over long steep mountain passes this weekend like they were nothing. It literally upshifts from 7th to 8th while I'm going uphill, fast. At this point, I no longer care about expensive oil changes, fuel filters, or whatever other downstream consequences. I don't care about DEF or DPF or any of that nonsense. I'll cross those bridges when I come to them. None of that matters to me now. I would pay double for those services if need be and still not regret the 3.0D decision. The smiles per gallon are real! And that rumble! I can't even believe I spent so many cycles mired in deep comparison. By the seat of the pants test, the 3.0 is as, and likely more, powerful than our X5 V8.
Well said in all the critics out there either number one haven't driven the diesel or number two never mention the cost of regearing when going to 35 or 37 or suffering the ability and losing 8th gear. The transmission that comes with the diesel is the same they're putting into 392. My Sport S come standard as the the Rubicon Dana 44s a great overall upgrade package for only $4,000 when you piece it out.

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I have had two 3.6’s in the past and the main reason I got rid of them was the driveability after adding larger tires lift etc. it drove me crazy every time we would load up and go to Colorado or Moab. Any small hill or headwind and it was constantly downshifting, winding up the motor and getting horrible gas mileage. Don’t have that problem any longer. Stays in 8th most of the time and gets 24 mpg. I had a 2017 Ram eco diesel and never had a problem. Lucky maybe, but there is no comparison in this Jeep and my previous ones. I am certainly glad I have the diesel.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Got a 3.6L, Sport S manual...and love it. But I thought one of the best reasons to get a diesel is that their longevity due, in part, to the fact they run cooler than gas. I’m no mechanic (obvi), but is that BS? I’ve heard Diesel engines last twice as long b/c of that. Is that true?

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Got a 3.6L, Sport S manual...and love it. But I thought one of the best reasons to get a diesel is that their longevity due, in part, to the fact they run cooler than gas. I’m no mechanic (obvi), but is that BS? I’ve heard Diesel engines last twice as long b/c of that. Is that true?
Diesels generally allow you to put twice as many miles on them but with the new emissions the longevity is still to be determined.
Sponsored