Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thanks. yes, that is true. Also factor in the additional cost for the engine upgrade and higher maintenance costs. There is likely no ROI. But who are we kidding - We would buy a Prius if we really cared about things like ROI - That big smile you get when driving is all the ROI you need. Spooling up the turbo and rolling coal in the Super Duty also gives me that big smile so I totally get it.
Lol agreed and there are very few vehicles on the planet that have an positive ROI, they all depreciate and quickly. Some more than others.
Sponsored

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
If the Sport EcoDiesel with 3.73 gears and 31.5" tires is getting that kind of mileage, i wonder if the Rubicon and its (almost) 33" tires with the same 3.73's may be undergeared.
Frankly, I wish we had a 4.10 option box to check.......
I'm here to tell you the Ecodiesel with 37's is just fine. No way does it need 4.10's with stock tires. Doesn't even need them with 37's. Sure, they'd be nice to have but I can hold 8th gear at 60-65+ no problem. Not like the 4-pot or 3.6 with 37's, with everyone complaining about getting 7th and 8th gear back.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
It's the unnecessary added cost of the fluid that garners complaint, not the pouring of it.
Got it. "I didn't buy a diesel because of the $0.01/mile of DEF cost." Logical :facepalm:

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Zero regrets. Diesels in Iowa winter are a PITA I will never own one. My 2.0T has more power than expected plus great mpg.
I live in Alaska and own three diesels. The vast fleet of trucks on the North Slope Oilfields are diesels. When and what was the last diesel you owned?

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Once you've owned and driven a quality diesel, it's hard to go back to gas. Been wanting a 4-door jeep since the first JK was released but when the Ecodiesel was released in the JL that's when I pulled the pin.

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I wanted a diesel bad enough that I put off buying a JT until the diesel was available. Life decided I needed a vehicle sooner than Jeep was ready to build a diesel JT, so I bought a diesel Wrangler = a compromise I felt I could live with for awhile LOL. Well fast-forward to now, you can order a diesel JT but no Gobi, no Gator, No earthy/dirt/natural colors at all, only ADD retina-scorching colors or varying shades of grey. So I guess I will be waiting longer, I just hope they keep producing the diesel for a while longer...

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I own a tractor trailer with all that emission crap. You couldn't pay me enough to get a jeep with it as well. If i did get one that's the first thing i would delete.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Warranty period.....

SteveVDBH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
I'm here to tell you the Ecodiesel with 37's is just fine. No way does it need 4.10's with stock tires. Doesn't even need them with 37's. Sure, they'd be nice to have but I can hold 8th gear at 60-65+ no problem. Not like the 4-pot or 3.6 with 37's, with everyone complaining about getting 7th and 8th gear back.
CAC- can you tell me more about your experience with the 37? How did your gas mileage change?Do you tow anything? How is that? Thanks!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
No regrets. Because I am a Diesel Truck owner, and know what EGR is, and what it does to a diesel engine.

Sponsored

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I live in Alaska and own three diesels. The vast fleet of trucks on the North Slope Oilfields are diesels. When and what was the last diesel you owned?
I operate a wide range of heavy equipment tractors, graders, dump trucks, semi's all diesels and none of which are fun to deal with in sub zero temps.

Donta1979

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 & 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would had loved the Diesel, but it was not an option for the base sport unlimited when I bought my JLU back in April. The other thing in seven months I have only driven like 2.3k creeping to 2.5k miles. I do not drive enough to have a Diesel it would eventually become a maintenance nightmare.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Funny Diesel is actually equal to or cheaper than gas. Beautiful Jeep
Not around here. Diesel cost somewhere between mid grade (89) and high grade (93 octane) gas.. I have a 2007 pre-emission diesel 2500 for towing and it's great. A diesel to say you have a diesel, No thanks... They don't do that much better MPGs nor is the additional torque worth it when not towing...

Regardless of all that I would buy 3.6 again. No doubt. If you want a diesel you should buy one. Everyone should have what they want if they can but not just to say I have a (fill in the blank)...

Last edited:

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Got it. "I didn't buy a diesel because of the $0.01/mile of DEF cost." Logical :facepalm:
Honestly why did you buy it? They are not tow vehicles and they dont do much better MPGs. The additional torque can be done with just gearing. Just to say you have a diesel? I just ask as I have a 2500 diesel truck for towing... Outside of towing, I don't want a diesel...

And honestly, it only matters if you like what you have. Nothing else matters...
Sponsored

Last edited: