Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I was going to wait for a 2021 diesel, but I went all trigger happy when I saw the 2020 high altitude on the lot while my 2018 was in for the V41 recall I kept putting off. But no regrets.
That is kind of what I did with my Wrangler Recon.
Sponsored

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
We've had one diesel SUV, so I'm no expert, but the torque and mileage were addictive. DEF wasn't an issue at the time because VW/ Audi were making sure that 3.0L barely used any. Pretty sure I would have gone diesel if it was available in January 2018 when my order was placed, but there is no way I was going to wait for it before ordering. Most days my 3.6L 6MT JLUR has plenty of power, even with the skids, sliders, winch and tires. Only when I'm fully loaded with the roof top tent do I really wish there was more torque available, and even then it would mostly be for highway drive-ability and mileage. The diesel would have been sweet during our fully loaded drive to Colorado this summer, but those trips will be rare enough that I'm not tempted to consider a trade in.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
We've had one diesel SUV, so I'm no expert, but the torque and mileage were addictive. DEF wasn't an issue at the time because VW/ Audi were making sure that 3.0L barely used any. Pretty sure I would have gone diesel if it was available in January 2018 when my order was placed, but there is no way I was going to wait for it before ordering. Most days my 3.6L 6MT JLUR has plenty of power, even with the skids, sliders, winch and tires. Only when I'm fully loaded with the roof top tent do I really wish there was more torque available, and even then it would mostly be for highway drive-ability and mileage. The diesel would have been sweet during our fully loaded drive to Colorado this summer, but those trips will be rare enough that I'm not tempted to consider a trade in.
Good information. Yes - I have had a VW Touareg Diesel, a BMW X5 Diesel and a Mercedes ML 350 Diesel. So I kind of wish I would have gone Diesel with my new 2020. Someday I will be a trade in candidate. LOL. Thanks for your comments.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
If the Sport EcoDiesel with 3.73 gears and 31.5" tires is getting that kind of mileage, i wonder if the Rubicon and its (almost) 33" tires with the same 3.73's may be undergeared.
Frankly, I wish we had a 4.10 option box to check.......

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Only regret is not getting the hemi! Wait, that's not out yet.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
3.6/8 speed, no bdg. I wanted the simplest drivetrain possible. Certainly didnā€™t want to mess with DEF and have to always have high quality fuel.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first and last diesel. It's been great and I've had it for 19 years/235,000 miles and looking forward to many more. 2001 F250 7.3 Power Stroke. By far, the most reliable vehicle I've ever had. I still get compliments from folks and offers to buy it. My old diesel diesnt have any of the modern Diesel inconveniences... it didn't even come with a catalytic converter
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel? 20200908_203624

Even after the great experience, this is it for diesels for me. They've become over priced and over complex. The ROI will take way to long to recoup my investment.

When I got my JLUR, the diesel was not available yet, but if I could do it over again, I'd still get the 3.6/8sp auto.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Certainly didnā€™t want to mess with DEF
DEF, like fuel, is available at the pump but doesn't have to be filled as often. It's really not very hard.

Sponsored

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
I ordered and waited for the diesel. Now that the newness and "cool factor" have worn off, I'd just as soon have the same jeep in a 3.6 and manual. I think it would be a lot more fun to drive. Automatics are boring, but great for crawling. I never crawl, manual would be much better for me...

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I ordered and waited for the diesel. Now that the newness and "cool factor" have worn off, I'd just as soon have the same jeep in a 3.6 and manual. I think it would be a lot more fun to drive. Automatics are boring, but great for crawling. I never crawl, manual would be much better for me...
LOL, lets trade!

tkmo061

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Nope - not for a minute. Already have a wallet-emptying diesel in my Super Duty - one is more than enough and I love my 2.0 with e-torque. Diesel is typically $.60 to $1.00 more than gas in our area so have to factor that into the equation.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Nope - not for a minute. Already have a wallet-emptying diesel in my Super Duty - one is more than enough and I love my 2.0 with e-torque. Diesel is typically $.60 to $1.00 more than gas in our area so have to factor that into the equation.
Funny Diesel is actually equal to or cheaper than gas. Beautiful Jeep

tkmo061

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Funny Diesel is actually equal to or cheaper than gas. Beautiful Jeep
Thanks. yes, that is true. Also factor in the additional cost for the engine upgrade and higher maintenance costs. There is likely no ROI. But who are we kidding - We would buy a Prius if we really cared about things like ROI - That big smile you get when driving is all the ROI you need. Spooling up the turbo and rolling coal in the Super Duty also gives me that big smile so I totally get it.
Sponsored