Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

Big Blue

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Retired
Really happy with the 2 . L turbo / 8 speed . Power like a small V 8 from long ago . Great low end torque and passing power , so much better than the V6 . Diesels always sounded like a bucket of bolts , plus that black cloud of smoke .....
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Really happy with the 2 . L turbo / 8 speed . Power like a small V 8 from long ago . Great low end torque and passing power , so much better than the V6 . Diesels always sounded like a bucket of bolts , plus that black cloud of smoke .....
What black cloud of smoke?

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU 2022 Gladiator Sport S
It's not about cost savings for most of us, but if it was, you'd be absolutely right. I drive my Jeep 4,000 miles/year so clearly the math doesn't work for me. Can you spell T-O-R-Q-U-E.
never found the T-O-R-Q-U-E in that particular engine anything to brag about other than on paper especially with the turbo lag....perhaps the fact it was in my 1500 4x4 could be the issue i had (heavy truck), maybe the jeep will be a better fit, i certainly hope so.....good luck with it most importantly enjoy

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Blaming the government for clean air is as pointless as blaming your cardiologist for eating healthy.

Sure, blaming the government for everything that is “wrong” is cheap and easy, but it gets old.

The reality is we live in a golden era of the automobile, notwithstanding all the safety and environmental regulations.
Well I’m not blaming anyone for anything. I simply pointed out that it wasn’t “truck bros“ that mandated zero visible smoke from diesels. I do believe that diesel engine manufacturers are behind in perfecting the emissions equipment. The problems they are having remind me of the problematic systems we dealt with in the early years of gas engine emission ratings.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Older diesels would blow black exhaust when you punched it . Newer diesels are much cleaner
Yes now they pipe the black soot right back into the engine (and thus the oil) instead of out the tailpipe. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
As someone else pointed out, we live in the golden age for internal combustion engines. Yet... we still find things to constantly carp about. Current engines are quiet, smooth, reliable, clean, and powerful. Go drive a pre-2012 Wrangler and see how little we have to complain about now.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Yes now they pipe the black soot right back into the engine (and thus the oil) instead of out the tailpipe. What could possibly go wrong?
Complete BS.

Any soot produced goes into the diesel particulate filter where it is then burned off. With my 60 year old John Deere diesel, yes, the oil will turn black after about 10 hours of operation. With my new Kubota the oil will stay clean for hundred hours; same with my Ram pickup. Soot ends up in the DPF and gets burned off during the regen process.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Complete BS.

Any soot produced goes into the diesel particulate filter where it is then burned off. With my 60 year old John Deere diesel, yes, the oil will turn black after about 10 hours of operation. With my new Kubota the oil will stay clean for hundred hours; same with my Ram pickup. Soot ends up in the DPF and gets burned off during the regen process.
This is exactly the OPPOSITE of my experience with my diesel tractor and vehicles. I have NEVER had a vehicle which makes the oil blacker more quickly than my 2012 Ram 3500. It's literally black within a few hundred miles. And thin. My old Yanmar diesel tractor, Mercedes Benz 300d, and multiple pre-smog Ram 3500s take much, MUCH longer to blacken the oil.

Further, you can go on any new diesel truck forum and find people complaining about the oil being black as coal right after an oil change, some even questioning whether the dealership or independent shop even changed it. Your "experience" is exactly the opposite of what's been reported by new diesel owners.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Complete BS.

So there's no EGR before the DPF. Is that what you are saying?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I think diesel would have been ideal just from a standpoint of having large tires and not noticing much of a mpg hit or power loss through mountains. No regrets though. It would have meant waiting two years.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As someone else pointed out, we live in the golden age for internal combustion engines. Yet... we still find things to constantly carp about. Current engines are quiet, smooth, reliable, clean, and powerful. Go drive a pre-2012 Wrangler and see how little we have to complain about now.
AND, the 3.8 V6 was the only motor available. Now we have a 4-cyl 2.0 turbo, a 3.6 V6, a 3.0 turbodiesel, and soon enough a PHEV and a 392 HEMI! Plus a pickup and a desert runner. And JL’s assembly quality, paint finish, and overall fit-and-finish are 100 times better than JK’s.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly the OPPOSITE of my experience with my diesel tractor and vehicles. I have NEVER had a vehicle which makes the oil blacker more quickly than my 2012 Ram 3500. It's literally black within a few hundred miles. And thin. My old Yanmar diesel tractor, Mercedes Benz 300d, and multiple pre-smog Ram 3500s take much, MUCH longer to blacken the oil.

Further, you can go on any new diesel truck forum and find people complaining about the oil being black as coal right after an oil change, some even questioning whether the dealership or independent shop even changed it. Your "experience" is exactly the opposite of what's been reported by new diesel owners.
Color does not indicate the effectiveness of oil.