Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
Sponsored

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
3.6L 6 spd...no regrets. Diesel is interesting, but more expensive I think. I don’t think I drive enough miles to realize the mpg savings. I only put about 10K miles per year...maybe slightly less.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
3.6L 6 spd...no regrets. Diesel is interesting, but more expensive I think. I don’t think I drive enough miles to realize the mpg savings. I only put about 10K miles per year...maybe slightly less.
I hear you thanks for the reply.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Not here, i actually went with a gas Jeep over a diesel truck, dont drive enough highway miles regularly to warrant a diesel. Regens and DEF woukd just be an added headache. I totally understand people that drive alot of miles though, diesels need to be driven.

31301529_2054120471269718_8453197642342596608_n.png

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Not here, i actually went with a gas Jeep over a diesel truck, dont drive enough highway miles regularly to warrant a diesel. Regens and DEF woukd just be an added headache. I totally understand people that drive alot of miles though, diesels need to be driven.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel? 31301529_2054120471269718_8453197642342596608_
LOL great pic! Yea, that is why I RAGRET not getting one. LOL

Sponsored

dana harding

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I wanted a diesel but wasn’t out yet. Drove the 3.0L and 2.0L turbo and thought I would never go back to a 4 cylinder but glad I did. 2.0 L turbo jumped off the line and made the 3.0L look slow. I have had it a year now and still amazed at the power and get 25 mpg consistently. $4k extra for the diesel plus the oil change cost and maintenance cost on that engine just confirmed I made a great choice.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I used to be obsessed with diesel - having driving a lot when I was traveling to Europe *that was my first encounter with ESS which I hate with passion* and I thought that diesel is really awesome, nice mileage and better acceleration.

I was even contemplating on waiting for a diesel Jeep (I just upgraded my Jeep) but then I found out that it is not available for 2 DR (back then) and upon my discussions that I had with a few friends who have diesel trucks - they told me that while all the things that I said are true - there are more maintenance that came with owning a vehicle that runs on diesel. Unless you are hands on with your vehicle (I am not - I am really learning to do things on my own since I got my Jeep) - keeping track with the maintenance - you most probably don't want to get diesel. Poor maintenance will shorten the life of your Jeep. So - I gave up the idea of a diesel Jeep and stick to the usual tried and true way of powering my Jeep. Also - bear in mind that hybrid is coming soon, it might have more benefits to diesel. Ask the experts here : )

Cheers! :like:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
3.6L/8 speed Rubicon. No regrets whatsoever. Modern diesels are not made for stop and go driving or rock crawling they are made for the open road.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I used to be obsessed with diesel - having driving a lot when I was traveling to Europe *that was my first encounter with ESS which I hate with passion* and I thought that diesel is really awesome, nice mileage and better acceleration.

I was even contemplating on waiting for a diesel Jeep (I just upgraded my Jeep) but then I found out that it is not available for 2 DR (back then) and upon my discussions that I had with a few friends who have diesel trucks - they told me that while all the things that I said are true - there are more maintenance that came with owning a vehicle that runs on diesel. Unless you are hands on with your vehicle (I am not - I am really learning to do things on my own since I got my Jeep) - keeping track with the maintenance - you most probably don't want to get diesel. Poor maintenance will shorten the life of your Jeep. So - I gave up the idea of a diesel Jeep and stick to the usual tried and true way of powering my Jeep. Also - bear in mind that hybrid is coming soon, it might have more benefits to diesel. Ask the experts here : )

Cheers! :like:
Ah, great comments everyone - thanks so much for sharing your opinions. I also need to drive mine more - only breaking in at 1300 miles.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
I was set on a manual. That was really the only deal breaker. So it made the call on the 3.6 really easy

Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I was set on a manual. That was really the only deal breaker. So it made the call on the 3.6 really easy
Same here. The diesel intrigued me, but the choice was made for me by lack of transmission options. I would even pass on the 392.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m happy with the V6/auto.

I don’t do enough driving to justify paying for the steep price premium of that diesel.

Besides, I already own a Fiat with an Italian motor in it. I want the peace of mind of a good American motor in the Jeep.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Zero. My V6 with the auto on a 2 door seems to have fallen right in the sweet spot between performance, balance, fuel efficiency, and purchase price. Really hit a home run.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Zero regrets. Diesels in Iowa winter are a PITA I will never own one. My 2.0T has more power than expected plus great mpg.
Sponsored