Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Color does not indicate the effectiveness of oil.
Right. But he was speaking about color and I was responding to that. The only way to know the true state of oil is to send a sample in for analysis, which I do periodically.
Sponsored

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
I did go with the diesel. Major highway miles and towing an off road trailer. Two check engine lights later and a major replacement of the turbo charger and have really, really been questioning my decision.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'd never buy a modern diesel after owning a few. They're much more expensive to own/upkeep and have some quirks. I can wring my little 3.6l n/a out, it will run all day long at 3500rpm, and with right gearing am fine.. even at 8000ft. Some 5.13 gears would be nice but I like a simple, easier to replace motor/drivetrain (6 speed manual trans).

You might want to keep your Jeep for 10 years.. who knows?

Sponsored

ramos

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys Diesel, 2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus, 2017 Jeep wrangler JK Sports S, 2007 Jeep Compass
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
I have a new diesel. I have had it for about 1 month now and it has been in the shop for 3 weeks.

It has 350 miles on it and Chrysler is putting a new transmission in it. The vehicle was only suppose to be in the shop for 7 to 10 days.

Now Jeep is blaming me because they kind of gave me an option of replacing the transmission or having a gasket put in. I took the transmission replacement after the service department told me that Jeep/Chrysler wanted the transmission back because it had so few miles on it.

The Jeep cares person is saying I chose the new transmission so it is taking longer to fix it.

Randy

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
3.6L 6 spd...no regrets. Diesel is interesting, but more expensive I think. I don’t think I drive enough miles to realize the mpg savings. I only put about 10K miles per year...maybe slightly less.
Drove a 6-speed manual today. Just waiting for Gecko to be released and order my JL Rubicon.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Drove a 6-speed manual today. Just waiting for Gecko to be released and order my JL Rubicon.
Thanks so much for the comments people!

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Maybe a little more research and you might change your mind. 600hp and 1800 lbs of torque Diesel engines had been in our big rigs for many years before particulate filters where mandated by.....yes the government.
Ahh, yes. Lets compare big rig engines. which will neither fit in a pickup and cost several times what a pickup diesel costs.

While we are at it, I'm pissed that Jeep doesn't offer a race car engine in the Wrangler.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I actually placed the order for my new JLUR when I found out the diesel was being offered. It replaced my wife's Toyota as her DD, she drives about 300 miles weekly. It averages 27-28 mpg and the torque is a nice bonus. Yes, the diesel was a fairly large capital outlay at $4K (I don't count the $2K for trans because I wanted an auto anyway) but I tried to offset the price by not ordering the interactive cruise control and park sense systems at about $2K. Yes, the maintenance costs are more expensive but the 10K oil change intervals help. We are using our new Jeep to do trails that are more scenic and too easy for our CJ on tons and 40's. Recently did most of the trails in the Silverton, CO are and only pulled cable once on Poughkeepsie Gulch. We are driving it to CA for the Rubicon Trail June next year and will make some trips to Moab to do some of the more scenic trails that are too far from base camp to drive the CJ.
All in all I'm very happy with my choice, so far so good.

Sponsored

Joselio

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 EcoDiesel
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel? C05924BA-5A6D-4E93-B916-AA4D49BB3A01

I am new to Diesel, 42mpg on the highway.. not bad. And the low price of Diesel also is nice. My concern is the maintenance but also not worried because the dealer gave me “free 2 year maintenance” .

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Joselio, what model do you have?

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Jeep Wrangler JL Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel? C05924BA-5A6D-4E93-B916-AA4D49BB3A01

I am new to Diesel, 42mpg on the highway.. not bad. And the low price of Diesel also is nice. My concern is the maintenance but also not worried because the dealer gave me “free 2 year maintenance” .
Wow that is fantastic mileage!!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh, yes. Lets compare big rig engines. which will neither fit in a pickup and cost several times what a pickup diesel costs.

While we are at it, I'm pissed that Jeep doesn't offer a race car engine in the Wrangler.
Will a drag racing engine do?

The 392 HEMI is coming...

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I was going to wait for a 2021 diesel, but I went all trigger happy when I saw the 2020 high altitude on the lot while my 2018 was in for the V41 recall I kept putting off. But no regrets.
Sponsored