Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
3.6 gasser for me and happy with it. diesels are nice, but cost more to own. i'm not paying $3.19+ per gallon of diesel, when gas is at 2.19.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
let me put it this way diesel should be a lot lower cost. i remember when diesel was at 1.89. that was along time ago. where i'm at diesel can range up to 3.49. gas can reach up to 2.89 for 87. i used to cross over into nj for gas where i can save 30-40 cents per gallon. now its only a 10 cent saving, so i stop and go to a local station (5 miles from the house) for a cheaper price. i filled up today at 2.19. the last fill up was 2.13 and during the covid period i was filling up at 1.97. still diesel was running high during the time.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
If the diesel was an even cost option id be all over it. But $4000 for the motor plus $2000 for the automatic just makes it an expensive choice over my V6 manual.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
let me put it this way diesel should be a lot lower cost. i remember when diesel was at 1.89. that was along time ago. where i'm at diesel can range up to 3.49. gas can reach up to 2.89 for 87. i used to cross over into nj for gas where i can save 30-40 cents per gallon. now its only a 10 cent saving, so i stop and go to a local station (5 miles from the house) for a cheaper price. i filled up today at 2.19. the last fill up was 2.13 and during the covid period i was filling up at 1.97. still diesel was running high during the time.
I always love when people burn more fuel driving to find a cheaper price than they save at the cheaper price. Tripping over dollars to pick up pennies. BTW... a diesel isn't about saving pennies. Never has been for a diesel owner. Only is for people who run gas.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In Canada, where fuel prices are significantly higher than in the States, diesel’s 30% better fuel economy can represent substantial savings. More so on the highway, where diesel’s fuel economy really shines.

My business partner owns a cabin 300 miles away from Vancouver; they like to go every 3-4 weeks. They bought a GMC Canyon All-Terrain with the Duramax 2.8 4-cyl turbodiesel: they can go to the cabin and back on one tank. A Canyon 3.6 V6 would take one tank each way. At US$4-5/gallon, that’s US$125 a fill up.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Most all farming equipment Construction heavy equipment is is diesel, l never sees the open road actually cool themselves when idling, when did diesel becomes available on the Gladiator over half the sales will be diesel mark my word. What everyone doesn't realize the diesel which I have get you Rubicon front and rear axles heavy duty brakes and a heavy-duty transmission. Only 35 is now will go to 37th in the near future stock gears 373 steep grade with ease and plenty power full Overland pay load.
Does most farm equipment have full emissions (DPF, SCR, DEF)? Mark my words, the emissions systems on the diesel will be its downfall--did you know that FCA does not offer extended warranties on the diesel emissions? That is very telling. In any mode other than the open road, soot generation is at its highest which causes more regenerations. The base diesel engine is not the problem, it is the emissions. Google "Ecodiesel problems" and you will see.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
3.6 gasser for me and happy with it. diesels are nice, but cost more to own. i'm not paying $3.19+ per gallon of diesel, when gas is at 2.19.
Also add DEF, fuel filters, oil filters, and oil to your cost comparison list--they all cost more in a diesel.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Most all farming equipment Construction heavy equipment is is diesel, l never sees the open road actually cool themselves when idling, when did diesel becomes available on the Gladiator over half the sales will be diesel mark my word. What everyone doesn't realize the diesel which I have get you Rubicon front and rear axles heavy duty brakes and a heavy-duty transmission. Only 35 is now will go to 37th in the near future stock gears 373 steep grade with ease and plenty power full Overland pay load.
Farm, construction, and all forms of off highway use heavy equipment are not governed by DOT regulations and encumbered by the emissions requirements that have ruined diesels.

All of my equipment is also legally running on red off highway/home heating fuel. Another big no-no of found in a vehicle on a public road.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In Canada, where fuel prices are significantly higher than in the States, diesel’s 30% better fuel economy can represent substantial savings. More so on the highway, where diesel’s fuel economy really shines.

My business partner owns a cabin 300 miles away from Vancouver; they like to go every 3-4 weeks. They bought a GMC Canyon All-Terrain with the Duramax 2.8 4-cyl turbodiesel: they can go to the cabin and back on one tank. A Canyon 3.6 V6 would take one tank each way. At US$4-5/gallon, that’s US$125 a fill up.
Granted, but the buy in price of the diesel option requires quite a high odometer reading before the break even point. That doesn't include 9 vs 5 quarts of oil and the emissions fluid. It's quite an up charge for the sake of being able to skip a couple more gas stations before refueling.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about why no one, in any of these threads, ever mentions the negative impact to the longevity of the fuel injection equipment due to the removal of the fuels sulfur content? Ever look into the cost of rebuilding, let alone replacing, said equipment?

Disclaimer:
I was raised from 6 years old in the family business of truck and heavy equipment repair. I didn't have the typical childhood. From day one, if I wasn't operating you name it on day hires, I was scraping head gaskets and timing piston rings and whatnot. Even all of our personal passenger vehicles were diesel. Once 2007 came around with its strict emissions requirements, we started straying away from on highway use vehicles. Even our personal vehicles are all gas now.

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm curious about why no one, in any of these threads, ever mentions the negative impact to the longevity of the fuel injection equipment due to the removal of the fuels sulfur content? Ever look into the cost of rebuilding, let alone replacing, said equipment?
This is true. New injectors for my 5.9 Cummins every ~150k miles cost as much as a 350 Chevy crate motor.

I'm happy with my V6 gasser/8 spd auto.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Disclaimer:
I was raised from 6 years old in the family business of truck and heavy equipment repair. I didn't have the typical childhood. From day one, if I wasn't operating you name it on day hires, I was scraping head gaskets and timing piston rings and whatnot. Even all of our personal passenger vehicles were diesel. Once 2007 came around with its strict emissions requirements, we started straying away from on highway use vehicles. Even our personal vehicles are all gas now.
Bosch makes the majority of these systems for OEM and ULSD has caused many issues with them, especially for the HPFP. When (not if) a repair is required, deep pockets will be needed. When you add the initial and operating costs together along with the potential for an out of warranty repair, and the use case the vast majority have, diesels do not make sense.

In the pre-2007 days and when diesel was cheaper than gasoline, the ROI of a diesel (versus gasoline) was fairly short and for those keeping vehicles for several hundreds of thousands of miles, a diesel was (or should have been) the default choice.

I have not calculated the ROI on a current diesel--when does it break even versus a gasoline engine? Does it ever?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Disclaimer:
Perhaps the key reason is because these EcoDiesels haven’t proved to last long enough for that to be a concern... :CWL:

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
No one knows the full implications of Running this engine over time. Ive seen DEF systems go haywire on oil burners and its thousands in cats pipes computer flashes etc... Diesel just isn't worth it for me personally. A well maintained 3.6 will go 100-200k no problem. As for the dI 2.0 and oil brner who knows. But hey... if you are not going to keep it that long then who cares right? At that point its all about how the driving experience is for you. And in that case none of the motors are rocketships. Id regret not getting a hemi before i regret getting a Diesel. Id much rather have a jeep with a hemi than any other of the engines. And with the amount the diesel costs, you could get a used 2018 or Sport and drop a hemi for
The same price if you had that much cash on hand.
Sponsored