Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
None....... I’m a gasser ....:rock:
Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
For me, i knew i wanted a 4 door and an automatic.. So the diesel was the logical choice. First i figured, its allot more torque, and then i thought, when the tunes are out and mods.. That thing will move!

So i ordered the diesel. But if you like the manual, nothing wrong with the 3.6 and the 2.0, i test drove all 3, to me personally i loved the diesel as it felt the best, handled the best and it felt like this is how the Jeep was meant to be powered.. But thats me, ill be slapping heavy 37" tires and a roof rack tent eventually so.. The more torque the better

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
3.6L/Auto
I'll only regret my Jeep when Jeep starts to offer the Mojave front axle (10mm axle tubes and cast knuckles) on ALL Rubicons. Having the thicker tubes and cast knuckles is just added reassurance that you can run larger tires with less issues.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

still want one. But glad i dont have it as Crapufornia loves making diesel cost more than 91 oct. plus the 3.0 didnt come with a manual. so 3.6 with the 6 speed was my only option. no regrets other than not having wider axles from a rubicon..... yet

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
still want one. But glad i dont have it as Crapufornia loves making diesel cost more than 91 oct. plus the 3.0 didnt come with a manual. so 3.6 with the 6 speed was my only option. no regrets other than not having wider axles from a rubicon..... yet
Ironically Diesel is cheaper that premium fuel here in Florida - so that is not helping me! LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Who know’s maybe in a year or so I will trade.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If Jeep/FCA had worked with Cummins to put in a newer 4BT or some engine built by Cummins, I would have gone diesel 11/10 times. However, I also had a 2019 Duramax 2500, and regens suck, buying and refilling Def sucks, and all the emissions requirements are not improving lifespans of diesels. The 3.6L has been proven.

OZJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf
No regrets at all about my Diesel. I think the German-built ZF transmission (different than the gasser) makes for the perfect drive train.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you don't like wrenching on your own junk, are independently wealthy and intend to own vehicles only while under warranty, yeah modern oil burners are awesome

The peanut oil motors were an awesome concept effectively ruined by our gubermint.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I drive behind an old diesel that leaves a big, thick, black, stinky cloud right on my path, I thank the gubbermint for making the air around me breathable.

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Ever wary of FCA, I wanted the least complex drivetrain (but didn’t want stick). So 3.6L/8AT was the obvious choice. I would’ve paid a premium for it over the diesel or 2.0T, fortunately didn’t have to.

I’d consider the V8, but guessing it will be too much $$ and not worth it for me.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I wanted one, but the CRD was such an abysmal turd in the JK and Jeep had no release date available at the time for the JL that I gave up on it. I'm totally content with the V6.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Ironically Diesel is cheaper that premium fuel here in Florida - so that is not helping me! LOL
Same here in northern Nevada and I guess I can thank COVID-19. Until this "pandemic" happened diesel was running up to 50 cents a gallon more than regular gasoline. Now it is running ~30 cents a gallon less. No idea why!

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

3.6L/8 speed Rubicon. No regrets whatsoever. Modern diesels are not made for stop and go driving or rock crawling they are made for the open road.
Most all farming equipment Construction heavy equipment is is diesel, l never sees the open road actually cool themselves when idling, when did diesel becomes available on the Gladiator over half the sales will be diesel mark my word. What everyone doesn't realize the diesel which I have get you Rubicon front and rear axles heavy duty brakes and a heavy-duty transmission. Only 35 is now will go to 37th in the near future stock gears 373 steep grade with ease and plenty power full Overland pay load.
Sponsored