Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
As an aside, diesel fuel at my local Costco is currently $1.69; about $.60 less than regular, but as virtually every Ecodiesel owner will tell you, it’s not about fuel savings.

Also, to gear a non-diesel low enough to out-pull the Ecodiesel, you’d top out at about 55 mph in 8th gear. Great off the line, but not so much fun after the first 25 feet.
Sponsored

Last edited:

maddmaxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
Got a Rubicon Recon, really like it but thinking with the amount of driving I do perhaps I should have gotten a diesel? Anybody else?
PM the gas burner, oil change and air filter. Forget the diesel...Just my thoughts

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Funny Diesel is actually equal to or cheaper than gas. Beautiful Jeep
John, I stand corrected. I posted earlier that diesel wasn't cheaper than gas around here. Well I just filled up at a Shell station down the road that I haven't been to in almost a month and diesel was in fact 4cents cheaper than low grade 87.

Either way, buy what makes YOU happy!

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
As an aside, diesel fuel at my local Costco is currently $1.69; about $.60 less than regular, but as virtually every Ecodiesel owner will tell you,
it’s not about fuel savings.

Also, to gear a non-diesel low enough to out-pull the Ecodiesel, you’d top out at about 55 mph in 8th gear. Great off the line, but not so much fun after the first 25 feet.
MY 2014 GC 3.0 was great off the line and a total snooze fest after 40mph.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly why did you buy it? They are not tow vehicles and they dont do much better MPGs. The additional torque can be done with just gearing. Just to say you have a diesel? I just ask as I have a 2500 diesel truck for towing... Outside of towing, I don't want a diesel...

And honestly, it only matters if you like what you have. Nothing else matters...
I think many jeepers are mystified with the European and African (euro made) diesel off road vehicles. Those vehicles were designed more for fuel compatibility and durability. Modern diesels are no comparison.

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think many jeepers are mystified with the European and African (euro made) diesel off road vehicles. Those vehicles were designed more for fuel compatibility and durability. Modern diesels are no comparison.
You mean the US EPA has hamstrung the US spec diesel to the point that it is worthless. Yea I have no friends and will spill the evil truth.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
PM the gas burner, oil change and air filter. Forget the diesel...Just my thoughts
I can’t understand what you are saying. Perhaps if I knew what “PM” is referring to. ?????

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You mean the US EPA has hamstrung the US spec diesel to the point that it is worthless. Yea I have no friends and will spill the evil truth.
Every time I roll on that throttle, the torque continues to amaze and I’m in the 20s on fuel mileage - in a 2.5 ton Jeep. Imagine the fuel efficiency if I didn’t test the torque at every red light and stop sign. Addictive. If this is worthless, I’m all in.

And...diesel costs $.60 less than regular at my local Costco.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I roll on that throttle, the torque continues to amaze and I’m in the 20s on fuel mileage - in a 2.5 ton Jeep. Imagine the fuel efficiency if I didn’t test the torque at every red light and stop sign. Addictive. If this is worthless, I’m all in.

And...diesel costs $.60 less than regular at my local Costco.
The 2.0 turbo never intrigued me but the Eco diesel does. IF I had purchased a model other than the 3.6, a longevity and time tested design plus manual trans option (which I often doubt myself for purchasing) the diesel is very attractive. It will be interesting to watch the forums and see if there are long term issues with the diesel. If it plays out, my next jeep might be the Eco diesel. Also FCA's legal issues with the diesels scared me. I've owned many diesels but these new ones.. have to see.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I was even contemplating on waiting for a diesel Jeep (I just upgraded my Jeep) but then I found out that it is not available for 2 DR (back then) and upon my discussions that I had with a few friends who have diesel trucks - they told me that while all the things that I said are true - there are more maintenance that came with owning a vehicle that runs on diesel.
How is the new Jeep? What do you like most about upgrading to a Rubicon?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Some members of the forum have concerns re: quality control at FCA. They are hesitant to try out a new type of engine. Let it prove itself for a while.

Last edited:

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
How is the new Jeep? What do you like most about upgrading to a Rubicon?
Hey David - thanks for checking. In all honesty, I had my new Rubicon for a little over a month now and I am really REALLY loving it. Even more than the Sport S. I am very happy that I decided to get a Turbo engine. I did had some reservation about the whirring sound that came out from the engine but over time I am starting to get used to it. The drive is so much smoother and I like the feel of driving Turbo as I feel like my Jeep glides (I know - its a weird expression) when I am not stepping on the gas.

I had to bring it back to get it checked when the Check Engine Light came on two weeks after I took my Jeep home but luckily it was a minor issue - a pinched wire and nothing chronic. Being my second Jeep (and learning from the comments and experiences of JL Forum members) I am glad that I got a somewhat souped up Rubicon. I love the LED lights, the bigger media screen that have better options and higher resolution to all the minor details of Rubicon (black rims with red jeep willy logo) But most importantly, I really LOVE riding a Jeep that is slightly higher with a bigger wheels - it makes a differences.

Sport S was fun. Rubicon with Turbo elevates my experience to a new level. I am glad that I invested in Rubicon. I stick to the same color - Granite Crystal Metallic. I know that Turbo engine contributed towards the feel of driving a Rubicon but I do believe that there are differences when driving a Rubicon vs different build even if taking the engine out of equation. However please understand that I am not trashing other non Rubicon model - I think that all Jeep build from the super basic to full option build are awesome.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel? 64652

My 2019 Sport S on the day that I am picking up my Rubicon and trading this 1.5 years old baby in (due to some minor clicking sound that is driving me nuts)

Jeep Wrangler JL Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel? 64651

My 2021 Rubicon that sits beside my old Sport S waiting for me to take it home.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
The strict emission standards on diesels have caused chaos.
Failing Def fluid tanks, DPF’s, nox sensors, etc. are proving the Diesel engine very unreliable and these parts fail without pre-warning.
I spent $2,200 last year to replace the def tank in line heater
$5,800 this year to replace the diesel particulate filter (The part of the exhaust system that does the regens.)
That’s $8,000 of wasted money spent on a 5 YEAR OLD TRUCK WITH ONLY 94,000 MILES! Ford F-350 which is lovingly garage-kept, dealer serviced, and hand-washed weekly.
I hope the Jeep diesel differs in some way but I won’t take that expensive chance.
In Massachusetts diesel is $1.25 more per gal than gas.
Delivery vans, contractors, plow operators, local town DPW’s, and people with some basic common sense are all trading for gas engines.

When my diesel senses a fault, it gives me a warning “50 miles to 50mph limit”. Then when those 50 miles are easily used up it says “limit 50mph for 50 miles, then idle.”
If my dealer books my appointment 4 days down the road, I could very easily be stuck in “idle only” mode.

Does your diesel Jeep do the same process when the diesel has a problem????
Is your local dealer available the same day to take your vehicle in?
Do you live close to your Jeep dealer?
Need this drama lol?
Sponsored