Sponsored

does anybody else have surges with the cruise control engaged?

First Name
charlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl unlimited rubicon
my rpms surge from 2000 to 2500 to 3000 rpms and causes jerking when the cruse is engaged has anyone else experienced this problem
Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I bought my JL this last Monday with less than 20 miles on the odometer. Had a 80 mile ride to get home and when I engaged the cruise for the first time on the highway, I had the same issue of the rpm pulsing up and down and the sensation of the transmission hunting for a gear. I disengaged it for most of the rest of the trip home and retried the cruise and had no issue. I chalked it up to the adaptive learning not being set yet in the PCM.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Take it in, not normal! I use it every morning. Should be smooth af.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Mine does it occasionally, but I know why.

I have a base Sport S, with 33” tires. There’s simply not enough gear to keep it going, even on level ground, at 70 with any kind of wind. So the transmission hunts between 7th and 8th trying to decide between over revving, and overloading the engine. The result is surging between 1700 and 2300 rpm, or up to 3000 rpm if it goes up an incline and drops into 6th.

I had to to do the same thing manually in my...manual...JK. It couldn’t hold 70 in 6th with the top and doors off, so I had to keep it in 5th....and down shift into 3rd for any sort of incline or acceleration.

For me, at least, it’s gearing and lack of torque. It’s no streamlined car, and it’s no torque monster V8 that can just chug through it.

The JL on the stock donut tires did not do this.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
my rpms surge from 2000 to 2500 to 3000 rpms and causes jerking when the cruse is engaged has anyone else experienced this problem
I'm curious at what speed were you traveling when you engaged the cruise control?
You were driving on flat, hilly road?
Have you ever driven a Wrangler with cruise control before or say just cars with cruise control?
Tire size?

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I thought to myself could this be some smart programing where the Jeep knows it is in break in mileage where you should not be cruising at a constant speed and it is changing gears to address this.

That would be interesting but I doubt anything like that was implemented.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
What? You use cruise control in a Jeep?
I know I do ... I often and I mean often, drive my Jk, say 1200 miles on the interstate at a pop... stopping to pzzz and chitt only. Eating as I drive. I'm pulling an open motorcycle trailer with a Harley FatBoy on board. I do the 1200 mi. drive (19-21 hrs. depending on traffic) non-stop to my destination.

Cruise control lets me give the right foot/leg a change of position, etc...

Sponsored

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
The first 2-3 times I used cruise control, I had some mild surging. At 60 MPH, the Jeep kept shifting between 7th and 8th gear with noticeable surging. Since then, I've used cruise control and it's been as smooth as any other vehicle I've had. I think it's all part of the "self-calibrating" transmission electronics, which I'd love to learn more about.

Does anyone know how self-calibrating transmission electronics work and why Jeep wouldn't hard code shift points, etc into the vehicle? Why does it need to run to calibrate? Or is it just the step prior to Skynet becoming self-aware?

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had any surging with the cruise, matter of fact I like it better than all of the previous cruise controls as it maintains speed better not only up hill but down as well.

I have to use cruise almost all of the time due to a lead foot............

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my JL this last Monday with less than 20 miles on the odometer. Had a 80 mile ride to get home and when I engaged the cruise for the first time on the highway, I had the same issue of the rpm pulsing up and down and the sensation of the transmission hunting for a gear. I disengaged it for most of the rest of the trip home and retried the cruise and had no issue. I chalked it up to the adaptive learning not being set yet in the PCM.
I thought that the use of cruise control was to be avoided during the break-in period of the first 300 miles?
Ergo your problemo

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I thought that the use of cruise control was to be avoided during the break-in period of the first 300 miles?
Ergo your problemo
There is thinking and there is knowing. The owners manual does not address what you mention.