Sponsored

Does an aluminum front bumper make any sense for a JL Rubicon?

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody discussing steel vs aluminum, just read below.

1/3 density at 1/3 modulus. However, inertias play into stiffness, and those are exponentially proportional to material thickness. At the same mass, the thickness of Al is 3x that of steel.

I'm surprised aluminum isn't more popular for bumpers/sliders/armor/etc.

For a given weight, the aluminum part is stronger/stiffer (since it would be almost 3 times thicker, and bending stiffness is proportional to the thickness cubed). Aluminum is about a third the modulus of steel, so the overall stiffness of AL (for the same weight) is still about 10X steel.

Not to mention, after one dent/scratch the steel part will probably rust like crazy, killing its strength anyway.

CharlieS3

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I had the steel patriot bumper on the front of my 2014 JKUR. It worked great for towing behind my motorhome. I hit a Buffalo with it and there was virtually no damage to the bumper, but unfortunately my Jeep was totaled, mainly because the right A pillar got pushed back about an inch.

Now I have a new 2019 JLUR. After considerable research, I was all set to go with the aluminum. However, I also want the front receiver, and they can only do that in steel. That’s what I have now, but still need to install.

The Aluminum will work fine and save a lot of weight. My Jeep may not have been totaled if the bumper had deformed and taken more of the impact,rather than passing it down the frame. That’s only a guess, but vehicles are safer now because the front end is designed to deform and absorb impact.

Bottom line, I would absolutely prefer the aluminum. However, a front receiver is great for moving a trailer or to add a fishing rod rack, or to pull a tow strap straight on. So, it’s steel for only that reason.
Sponsored