First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Snorkels are the biggest poser mod there is. I know guys who put a snorkel on their truck just to look butch. The farthest they ever go is the far end of the mall parking lot.
The reason I was considering one was to drive across the small lake I live next to instead of driving around it to buy cheese from my neighbor. I make hand carved figurines out of sharp white cheddar of various winning baseball teams (pre 1971, of course). A snorkel would save me time and the lake is only 4ft-5ft deep.
Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For me would be a pass, but I know what I would do if I had one.. call scuba Steve I need a tow

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The reason I was considering one was to drive across the small lake I live next to instead of driving around it to buy cheese from my neighbor. I make hand carved figurines out of sharp white cheddar of various winning baseball teams (pre 1971, of course). A snorkel would save me time and the lake is only 4ft-5ft deep.
As an accountant told me once if it is financially justifiable your time is money go for it. Hoods are around 1k or less depending on paint. How many trips do you make and do the math. But in my area a snorkled jeep with the slightest amount of abuse run. I can see the utilitarian use and not abuse in other areas of the globe.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Snorkel on a Jeep, no thanks.
Snorkel around Hawaii, sign me up now!

girl-snorkel-turtles.jpg

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I think snorkels look good and the AEV one make the engine sound good. That said, I’m not sure I would trust it to keep water out of my engine in 4-5ft water. I think the bigger impact to trade in value would be water ingress to the cab and a wonky electrical system.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I would never buy a used Jeep with a snorkel.
I think snorkels look awesome, especially on Jeeps, but I wouldn't buy one with a snorkel used.

MOST people who bother with the cost/install of a snorkel do so for one reason: to use it. Which tells me that this Jeep has likely "seen some things". If I'm buying a used Jeep, I want the most stock one I can find - people who drive stock Jeeps don't usually take them off the pavement.
Bingo. HARD PASS.

Honestly, if you're that worried about trade/ resale- you shouldn't be doing any mods. They won't get you anything in that area. Same reasoning as above. Most people who are willing to buy a fully built rig that isn't from a place like AEV, America's Most Wanted 4x4, or a former shop rig from a company like Rock Krawler, JCR Off Road, etc etc either have no idea what they're looking at, are looking for a bargain off road rig/ project, or will examine it with a such fine toothed comb to decide if they're willing to take a chance, and that's all going to hinge on an attractive price.

When I was looking new vs. used, I was willing to take a chance on a used JKUR IF the price was low enough and the build quality of the parts was good. I ended up with my factory ordered JLUR. So, that should tell you how that went. A lot of the JKUR's I was looking at were beat, with shit tier parts, and would need at least new tires and a suspension upgrade. For me, that wasn't worth it.

This is of course ignoring the fact that driving through almost any body of water (not water crossing an actual road or trail) could be illegal and really piss off DEC/ Forest Rangers/ etc that could get you some serious fines.

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
You guys do know that I’m joking about driving across a lake ( and the cheese)?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You guys do know that I’m joking about driving across a lake ( and the cheese)?
Thank God! Lol
Was just telling a co-worker - I don’t know if this guy is f’ing with us or not.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Although I generally agree with what has been said about hurting resale, atleast in America, snorkels are generally not installed for deep water crossing. Infact most sellers including AEV state that. They are mostly installed, atleast by those that are not looking only as aesthetics, to provide cleaner, cooler air to the engine. Especially in very dusty/sandy areas of the country/world. You see it all the time in places like Australia. From what I have read that doesn't seem to be the case for OP, but didn't see it mentioned.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Although I generally agree with what has been said about hurting resale, atleast in America, snorkels are generally not installed for deep water crossing. Infact most sellers including AEV state that. They are mostly installed, atleast by those that are not looking only as aesthetics, to provide cleaner, cooler air to the engine. Especially in very dusty/sandy areas of the country/world. You see it all the time in places like Australia. From what I have read that doesn't seem to be the case for OP, but didn't see it mentioned.
I was joking about driving across a lake. I was interested in a snorkel for dust reasons. But decided against it for trade in effect. So will just change my air filter more and keep a spare if I cross the Sahara.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I was joking about driving across a lake. I was interested in a snorkel for dust reasons. But decided against it for trade in effect. So will just change my air filter more and keep a spare if I cross the Sahara.
Sounds good. Truthfully though going the route of the rugged ridge option, or similar no cut options, would probably benefit dust as well. Even a shorty snorkel. Not sure if you can get a cyclone/pre filter style for them though.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I never joke about cheese...

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
A snorkel will hurt resale, but if the wheeling you’re doing requires a snorkel, you should have one. New motors are expensive!
When you’re ready to sell, find someone with the same color hood who wants a free snorkel and make a trade. With the growing popularity of overlanding this should be easier than ever.
Sponsored