litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I'm trying to convince my dealer that either one of my batteries is bad, or the IBS sensor is bad. I'm constantly showing 14+v on the battery voltage display. I occasionally get a report the battery is in protection mode. The dealer keeps insisting that 14+ volts is normal. I'm telling them it isn't on a JL. Once the batteries are charged, the voltage should drop.

Does anyone have FCA documentation showing the proper operation of the IBS and batteries I can show them?
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
My gauge always shows 14V when running. My Harley is the same.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

My gauge always shows 14V when running. My Harley is the same.
Interesting, that wasn’t my experience with the Jeep last summer. from what I understood the JL has a smart charging system to improve milage and battery life. As the batteries charged voltage dropped to 12.3-13 or so. Interesting enough, they checked the battery and all checked out. Got out on the road and voltage started behaving itself. I must have missed tightening a terminal.

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I've had my Wrangler run nonstop for almost 20 hours straight multiple times. During these times i saw the voltage move around 12v-14v, and battery protection mode a few times as well. Never noticed any electrical issues except when reporting 12v, it would jump to 14v for a few seconds, then go back to 12v. I figured it was checking battery levels and to prevent over charging, it would kick into battery protection. I figured there might be a temperature sensor as well. Either way, battery protection mode seemed to last for a while

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine fluctuates, I see a lot of 12v when offroading.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I've noticed that the JL does not like to sit. Lots of parasitic drain on the battery it seems.

If I run mine every day, after a few miles, the voltage will drop down to 13.X,
But if I only use it on the weekends, it pretty much always stays in the 14.5 range for hours.

I was away all week so I put it on a battery tender and when I started it today to go get a few things at the store, it was at 12.8 while running, telling me that the tender maintained it charged all week.

If yours is always pegged at 14.5 (or close) and you use it daily, I would say something is not right.

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I've noticed that the JL does not like to sit. Lots of parasitic drain on the battery it seems.

If I run mine every day, after a few miles, the voltage will drop down to 13.X,
But if I only use it on the weekends, it pretty much always stays in the 14.5 range for hours.

I was away all week so I put it on a battery tender and when I started it today to go get a few things at the store, it was at 12.8 while running, telling me that the tender maintained it charged all week.

If yours is always pegged at 14.5 (or close) and you use it daily, I would say something is not right.
Yeah, it was at 14.5+ volts from late fall (I think when I got my radio replaced) until I got it in and bitched about it Thursday. It seems to be behaving as I expected yesterday. Hoping I missed tightening a connection. Keeping an eye on it and may take it elsewhere to have the batteries tested. The dealer said they couldn’t test the AUX battery.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Yeah, it was at 14.5+ volts from late fall (I think when I got my radio replaced) until I got it in and bitched about it Thursday. It seems to be behaving as I expected yesterday. Hoping I missed tightening a connection. Keeping an eye on it and may take it elsewhere to have the batteries tested. The dealer said they couldn’t test the AUX battery.
I had a problem last winter where the voltage stayed pegged at 14.7 for a 6 hours trip. That's not normal. When I got home I tightened the battery connections and it's been fine since.
The one I think was problematic was not the battery pole directly.
On the negative pole, there's a bolt that holds 2 plates together. I could rotate the 2 plates, which meant that the bolt was not tight enough. (it wasn't loose, but still).

But again, they have some parasitic drain, i'd love to know what and why.
I had a few Corvettes and had to keep one (the C6) on a tender if I was going to let it sit for more than a week, the JL seems to want the same kind of treatment.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I'm trying to convince my dealer that either one of my batteries is bad, or the IBS sensor is bad. I'm constantly showing 14+v on the battery voltage display. I occasionally get a report the battery is in protection mode. The dealer keeps insisting that 14+ volts is normal. I'm telling them it isn't on a JL. Once the batteries are charged, the voltage should drop.

Does anyone have FCA documentation showing the proper operation of the IBS and batteries I can show them?
I have been monitoring my voltage for over 18 months and except for after long trips, it's always 14.5+ V, but I'm not getting any errors or alerts. I do have a short daily commute.

The best JL specific IBS documentation I've found is in the full size owner's manual. I've posted some generic IBS information here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-ibs-information.22585/

OP
OP
INCRHULK

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

I had a problem last winter where the voltage stayed pegged at 14.7 for a 6 hours trip. That's not normal. When I got home I tightened the battery connections and it's been fine since.
The one I think was problematic was not the battery pole directly.
On the negative pole, there's a bolt that holds 2 plates together. I could rotate the 2 plates, which meant that the bolt was not tight enough. (it wasn't loose, but still).

But again, they have some parasitic drain, i'd love to know what and why.
I had a few Corvettes and had to keep one (the C6) on a tender if I was going to let it sit for more than a week, the JL seems to want the same kind of treatment.
The parasitic drain is all the on-board computers, and the LTE data connections for the remote access.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
The parasitic drain is all the on-board computers, and the LTE data connections for the remote access.

Yeah, I had a feeling that's what it was. When that Uconnect subscription is up, I would like to have a way to disable that "radio"

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a Chrysler 300 that suddenly one day started giving me a lot of battery protection mode messages. After about a month of that the alternator totally crapped out.

That message shouldn't be coming up if everything is working normally.
Sponsored