Gravytheclown

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
My Teenage son will be there when not in school or work, so not worried about squatters.
I'm not worried about it being towed away either. Car fob scanner theft or computer hack theft are my two main concerns. My coworkers daughter had her jeep stolen by computer hack. It didn't take them long to do it either. She didn't have any type of hood lock.

In my neighbor hood, things don't usually get messed with unless its obvious that there is no movement. Like a vehicle sitting in drive way for 3 weeks.
Wife's Camaro has the garage. so the jeep will block it in, out front.

I think the removing the battery from key fobs is good to stop the fob scanners and removing the fuel fuses along with the hood lock I have installed will stop a smash and grab or a computer hack.
I also have a tazer so the alarm goes off if the hood is opened. I have yet to update it to add a drive code. Thing I don't like about the drive code though, is that it can still leave the drive way. might not get far but then someone will have to deal with where it's left in the street.

I'm not in a bad neighborhood, but in a neighborhood were bad people come to take from, Lots of mail theft and opportunity break ins and theft from out of area people.
I have been robbed before in the past, different house. They cleaned out my garage and all my tools. I don't want that feeling again so I always take extra measures now to protect my self and belongings.

My Jeep is my first brand new vehical I have ever owned personal. It only took me half a centery to get a brand new vehicle for myself. I always got the used vehical while the ex and curent wives got the new. So yeah it's kind of an issues for me.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Gravy

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm not in a bad neighborhood, but in a neighborhood were bad people come to [steal]...

Lots of mail theft and opportunity break ins and theft from out of area people.
Exactly the same here. The underclass is mobile.

Just recently did a neighbor one street over from me post relevant Ring doorbell cam footage to our neighborhood group. A youth of relevant profile was filmed checking vehicles for unlocked doors and porches for packages.

The current intel is that the offender was IDd and apprehended. Where there's one, though, there's more.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The tazer code not being entered means the Jeep ain’t going but about two feet before all 4 brakes lock up. Ask me how I know lol. And I think they are trying to implement a fuel pedal kill into the code. So no code the fuel pedal doesn’t work either.

I keep my keys in a small box next to my door. It blocks the signals. Basically a small faraday cage. Got it on Amazon for pretty cheap. Came with two small bags that do the same thing. If they can’t scan for the code then that takes the easy way out of spoofing the key. But they can still use a laptop to plug it or the obd2 port. But won’t do much good if the wheels keep locking up. And if the code isn’t inputted in time the brakes lock and won’t unlock at all until system is reset.
Jeep Wrangler JL Doable jeep safely while I go on vacation D3378C64-F7E2-45E6-935A-1E8A5709261E

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...In my neighbor hood, things don't usually get messed with unless its obvious that there is no movement. Like a vehicle sitting in drive way for 3 weeks.
Wife's Camaro has the garage. so the jeep will block it in, out front...
This is where I'd solicit friends/family/neighbor to use their garage space. You're thinking about the right things; a vehicle sitting 3wks is a dead giveaway that people are "not home" even though your son will be. Better to have the driveway empty to keep thieves guessing.

If it's absolutely got to stay in the driveway, have your son or neighbor move it a few times per week; back it in for a couple days then switch it back. Or, having good, trustworthy neighbors to move it or wash it would be a bonus at the cost of a few fifths of Jack or couple cases of craft brew.

I'm in a safe neighborhood with retired-military and LEOs. That said, there's always a possibility some low-life fool gets by the security. So, our fobs are kept hidden in a drawer section lined with metal and then have non functional dummy keys hanging elsewhere as decoys. We have friends/family house-sit when gone.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
So…you didn’t buy the 6 speed?
6-speed with CFII clutch combined with all the pinstripes and dents from offroading...instant theft deterrent. I never worry:rock:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So…you didn’t buy the 6 speed?
Never thought of that. Except there is one thief out there than can drive a manual. That dude stole a manual transmission challenger which a friend of mine owned. He kept telling me nobody will ever steal it as nobody can drive manuals any more. Yet his disappeared and the police found it in a ditch, all tore up about 30 miles away. They did what they do with those, used a repeater to bypass the immobilizer.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So I’m getting ready to leave for a few weeks. Jeep will be home lonely and unprotected.
Is there a safe way to disable my Jeep easily so it can be taken?
In the old days it was pull the coil wire. But I don’t think that is as easy with todays vehicles.
With secondary battery just pulling the red lead won’t really do it either or may cause other issues.

anyone got a good short term mothball idea or procedure?

thanks
Gravy
Unless you leave a key in the proximity of your Jeep, the only way they can steal it is by towing it away. Crooks use repeaters and that's why so many Challengers and Chargers get stolen. Move the key far enough away, then it can't get stolen. People leave the key close enough to the vehicle that they can use the repeater to bypass the immobilizer. Other than that, they better be some sort of high tech guys that can do it but I doubt it's a problem with Jeeps. Not that they don't get stolen it's not easy to do so.

If you want to know what happens to a vehicle without an immobilizer, then just search "Kia Boyz Challenge". No immobilizer, then old school method on stealing a vehicle.

Leave your Jeep unlocked and try to steal it without the key.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The tazer code not being entered means the Jeep ain’t going but about two feet before all 4 brakes lock up. Ask me how I know lol. And I think they are trying to implement a fuel pedal kill into the code. So no code the fuel pedal doesn’t work either.

I keep my keys in a small box next to my door. It blocks the signals. Basically a small faraday cage. Got it on Amazon for pretty cheap. Came with two small bags that do the same thing. If they can’t scan for the code then that takes the easy way out of spoofing the key. But they can still use a laptop to plug it or the obd2 port. But won’t do much good if the wheels keep locking up. And if the code isn’t inputted in time the brakes lock and won’t unlock at all until system is reset.
Jeep Wrangler JL Doable jeep safely while I go on vacation D3378C64-F7E2-45E6-935A-1E8A5709261E
That will deter a lot of thieves, but it won't stop someone that knows what a Tazer is.

I guess that's one reason to not use the Tazer extension cable?

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Never thought of that. Except there is one thief out there than can drive a manual. That dude stole a manual transmission challenger which a friend of mine owned. He kept telling me nobody will ever steal it as nobody can drive manuals any more. Yet his disappeared and the police found it in a ditch, all tore up about 30 miles away. They did what they do with those, used a repeater to bypass the immobilizer.
Kinda sounds like they didn’t know how to drive it,🤣... honestly If I were a vehicle thief I’d use one of those repo tow rigs and just swipe it in a second not needing to open or start it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It’s shocking how many leave their extra key/fob in their vehicles. A great many late model cars are taken by simply pushing the start button. Hiding the key inside won’t work like it did back in the days when you had to put a key in the ignition.

Another way we were seeing late model cars get stolen was the thief simply taking a PCM from a salvaged vehicle, and the key that goes to it, then using it in the targeted vehicle. I wont go into a lot of detail, but they would break into the target vehicle, unplug the computer in it, plug in the one they brought with them (matching fob included), then push the start button and drive away. Of course in most cases it has to be the same make, model and generation of vehicle. That’s a lot easier than scanning codes.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Kinda sounds like they didn’t know how to drive it,🤣... honestly If I were a vehicle thief I’d use one of those repo tow rigs and just swipe it in a second not needing to open or start it.
If they didn't then they would have never drove it. It was one of those joy ride things. Even the cop told him that manuals do not deter thieves from stealing vehicles. Maybe 1% it might.

Tow rigs are the way to do it. Thus doing things like removing fuses never works. If they want it, they will get it.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It’s shocking how many leave their extra key/fob in their vehicles. A great many late model cars are taken by simply pushing the start button. Hiding the key inside won’t work like it did back in the days when you had to put a key in the ignition.

Another way we were seeing late model cars get stolen was the thief simply taking a PCM from a salvaged vehicle, and the key that goes to it, then using it in the targeted vehicle. I wont go into a lot of detail, but they would break into the target vehicle, unplug the computer in it, plug in the one they brought with them (matching fob included), then push the start button and drive away. Of course in most cases it has to be the same make, model and generation of vehicle. That’s a lot easier than scanning codes.
What usually happens is that it gets towed away. Gets a salvage ECU and keys. Once running, goes on a transporter, goes to a port, gets stuck in a container and leaves the country. Never to be seen again. South America, the Caribbean islands, Central America or the Middle East is where most go. A stolen vehicle is hard to cover up here in the US as they have a VIN that goes in a national database. Outside the US, different story. Plus if you are in an area where they have emissions, if the machine detects a VIN mismatch (VIN on the vehicle vs ECU) that's a problem. It better have some documentation.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
My Teenage son will be there when not in school or work, so not worried about squatters.
I'm not worried about it being towed away either. Car fob scanner theft or computer hack theft are my two main concerns. My coworkers daughter had her jeep stolen by computer hack. It didn't take them long to do it either. She didn't have any type of hood lock.

In my neighbor hood, things don't usually get messed with unless its obvious that there is no movement. Like a vehicle sitting in drive way for 3 weeks.
Wife's Camaro has the garage. so the jeep will block it in, out front.

I think the removing the battery from key fobs is good to stop the fob scanners and removing the fuel fuses along with the hood lock I have installed will stop a smash and grab or a computer hack.
I also have a tazer so the alarm goes off if the hood is opened. I have yet to update it to add a drive code. Thing I don't like about the drive code though, is that it can still leave the drive way. might not get far but then someone will have to deal with where it's left in the street.

I'm not in a bad neighborhood, but in a neighborhood were bad people come to take from, Lots of mail theft and opportunity break ins and theft from out of area people.
I have been robbed before in the past, different house. They cleaned out my garage and all my tools. I don't want that feeling again so I always take extra measures now to protect my self and belongings.

My Jeep is my first brand new vehical I have ever owned personal. It only took me half a centery to get a brand new vehicle for myself. I always got the used vehical while the ex and curent wives got the new. So yeah it's kind of an issues for me.

Thanks again for the ideas.
Gravy

Well, you can buy a small faraday box/bag to keep the fobs in. Then the signal is contained and can't be used to steal the vehicle.

Locking hood latches, and enabling the hood alarm with Jscan will help as well. At least now the thief can't just pop the hood, pull the horn fuse, break into the jeep, and attempt to hack it.

The whole Jeep life thing is fun until you realise you own an easy to steal, high dollar vehicle, lol
Sponsored