Sponsored

Do you worry about D Ring bolts vibrating out?

shmpls

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, BMW M4
For those of you that drive with d rings on your recovery points do you do anything to secure the bolt/pin from vibrating lose? I just got a hitch with a d ring shackle and was planning on leaving it in all the time but was thinking if the threaded bolt in the shackle vibrated out on the highway that would be bad news for anyone behind me.
Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
J128255.jpeg
I had mine on my JK front bumper for years and never had a problem. I did buy the cheap Daystar bumper/isolator things that slide on to prevent the banging

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've always left them in and never had an issue. I usually put a philips head screwdriver through the hole to help tighten them down rather than just tightening them with my fingers. I check them every once in a while but they are always tight. The times I've had to remove them it required the same method to take them back out.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
All I use is thread-lock ...I have mine in pretty tight (as I'm sure most do) & I have no concerns about one vibrating loose. If one does for whatever reason, I keep another pair. I understand the concern about anyone behind you, but if I was truly concerned about one loosening at the rear, I'd keep them off until I needed them.

Sponsored

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've always left them in and never had an issue. I usually put a philips head screwdriver through the hole to help tighten them down rather than just tightening them with my fingers. I check them every once in a while but they are always tight. The times I've had to remove them it required the same method to take them back out.
I've always used an adjustable or open end wrench, to tighten. Even when I was a crane operator.

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
I had isolators and they still came loose regularly.

I just put a zip tie through the bolt hole and d ring. Never had an issue after that

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I don't run them fill time, I'll put them on at the trail head

Like others have said you can tighten then down with a screwdriver or a wrench but they are a pain to loosen ok the trail because you need to go find a tool to loosen then up. I just rather keep the recovery as simple as possible. Also keep a few extra shackles in the recovery bad with the ropes as a just in case

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Man, that's what I like--keep it simple and enjoy your "TREK"-

I keep all of my recovery gear--"OUTTA SIGHT"-

W.E.

JIMBO

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This is not a topic where I cut my teeth, so if my comments appear ignorant I apologize in advance.

Many of the shackles I've seen, like in @Armycop 's post above featuring a hole in the pin.

Couldn't you, say, put a twisty tie through this pin and wrap each loose end of the twisty tie around the rest of the shackle?...or would the same vibrations doom the twist tie's wrap, and then ultimately the pin's?

Couldn't someone design a shackle with a slightly longer pin around which you tie a nylon nut around the threaded tip...as much as nylon nuts give up grip with repeated use.

Man---entropy's a bummer!

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
We tow our Jeep behind our motorhome and connect our safety cables to the D-rings so they have to stay on all the time. I tightened each with a screwdriver and safety tied each using a UV safe nylon cable tie. If I ever need to remove them when off-road, it takes only a few seconds using my Leatherman.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you worry about D Ring bolts vibrating out? {filename}

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
We tow our Jeep behind our motorhome and connect our safety cables to the D-rings so they have to stay on all the time. I tightened each with a screwdriver and safety tied each using a UV safe nylon cable tie. If I ever need to remove them when off-road, it takes only a few seconds using my Leatherman.

Leatherman FTW! Best tool ever invented, well probably anyway.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara