Sponsored

Do you use your winch?

How many times have you used your winch?

• Total voters

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

For those of you that are carrying...

Interested in your usage and any stories. Pictures will be given bonus points.
Sponsored

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Only used for my self once. Many times pulling others out of mud, off rocks or over obstacles. Only had one person use theirs for me. Also used the recovery rope a few times.

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Ironically Iā€™ve used mine multiple times, only to assist on trail builds by pulling down trees or clearing obstacles.

Have not had to use it for recovery yet.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I wanted to try mine out so I pulled out 3 bushes with it.....where was this tool all my life. Didn't break a sweat and had three bushes piled up in no time! No trail use yet.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Is this a trick question? I've used my winch (WARN VR10) on my JLUR a bunch of times for recovery of myself and others, as well, since 2019 when I installed it. That's why I bought it.
My last winch (WARN XD8000i) outlasted my Jeeps. Bought it used in box in 2006/07. had it on the front of both of my TJ's until 2018, when I pulled it off and traded in my 04 Rubi. It's now on the front of a buddy's '03 Rubi. That winch probably has hundreds (if not thousands) of recoveries/ trail clearances.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yes, it's a great tool and not just for vehicle recovery.

When I was landscaping I used it to hoist stone & concrete on a sled up a hill that I could only drive to the bottom of. That was huge and It paid for itself with just that. It can make demolition work much faster and safer. Felling trees leaning in undesirable directions. Lowering large branches cut from trees. Hauling trees off trails. As a precautionary measure to get up or down steep slick muddy or snowy hills (where sliding would be very, very bad).

I have yet to use it to self-recover, which I'm fine with. I'd much rather not get myself into trouble in the first place. But if I do, it's there.

Use your imagination and a winch can be extremely useful.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Iā€˜ve used my winches many, many times ā€” to recover others, to extricate myself, to tension field fence, to pull/slide trees out of the road, to right an old apple tree that fell over because of snow load, etc, etc. Itā€™s a handy tool, unless you live in the city or suburbia and donā€™t do country/wheeling stuff.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Current winch, no. I have used past winches to pull my truck out of snow once. Used a winch on my "work trucks" a few times for recovery self once and others about 5 times. I'm of the philosophy, better to have and not need than need and not have.

TK8286

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I donā€™t have a winch on my current Jeep yet. We installed one on my sonā€™s rubicon and have used it many times.

Pulled him out of a creek bottom at 12:30 am.

Pulled a dead 900 lb lawnmower up a ramp Into a storage building with a snatch block.

Unstuck a friendā€™s truck.

Pulled a downed tree away from a shelter to cut it up and move larger log pieces.

just to name a few.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I voted with how much I've used my current winch on my JL. I have used a winch many times throughout my four wheeling career on my other Jeeps.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I often wheel alone out of necessity. I always try to undertake wheeling where I feel Iā€™m not likely to need recovery. I havenā€™t had to use it for self recovery or to assist anyone else yet. Iā€™ve used it to pull a large tree limb away from my house so it fell into the driveway instead of my roof when I cut it, if that counts.

Iā€™ve got a question for others who have used it for brush. I need to tear out 5 or 6 tall shrubs to facilitate a new garden bed in my front yard. Would it work well for this to just rip them right out of the ground, or is it necessary to dig them up some or cut away the roots first?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Mud and snow are the only times I've used it for self recovery. Used it moving downed trees a bunch of times. Usually go for the kinetic rope when recovering others. A few photos of the spots we had to winch out of.
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you use your winch? 20220306_093844
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you use your winch? 20220116_122256
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you use your winch? 20220122_192430

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Mud and snow are the only times I've used it for self recovery. Used it moving downed trees a bunch of times. Usually go for the kinetic rope when recovering others. A few photos of the spots we had to winch out of.
As I mentioned... bonus points to Zach for pics!

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Use it for random crap mostly.

See example:
Jeep Wrangler JL Do you use your winch? 53244F5A-B502-459E-9AF6-5299386F1685

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I often wheel alone out of necessity. I always try to undertake wheeling where I feel Iā€™m not likely to need recovery. I havenā€™t had to use it for self recovery or to assist anyone else yet. Iā€™ve used it to pull a large tree limb away from my house so it fell into the driveway instead of my roof when I cut it, if that counts.

Iā€™ve got a question for others who have used it for brush. I need to tear out 5 or 6 tall shrubs to facilitate a new garden bed in my front yard. Would it work well for this to just rip them right out of the ground, or is it necessary to dig them up some or cut away the roots first?
The bushes I pulled I did no digging or chopping. Took the cable around the base of shrub and started winching in....front of jeep came down a bit and the the whole shrub would come up out of the ground. Slick!
Sponsored