Do you use the Remote Start on the 4Xe?

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
Hi all, I'm close to buying a new 4Xe and wondering if the remote start is as important on the 4Xe as it is on the regular JL. I have a JK and use the remote start everyday to warm up the car for 30 seconds before I hop in and go. I can't remember the last time I used the heated seats and don't think I've ever used the heated steering wheel (I live in GA). So the cold weather group is not something I need, but the remote start is very useful.

I usually only use remote start to warm the engine (circulate oil) and not necessarily to heat the interior. I don't care about the remote app feature as I will not pay the subscription. Since most of the initial driving will be done via electric, I feel like remote start is not that useful on the 4Xe. I can add later for around $500-600 in parts and labor too. I've narrowed it down to two cars and one is $2k more and the only difference is it has the cold weather group. If it was only $1k, I'd go ahead and get it, but $2k seems like a lot for just remote start.

Do you guys still find Remote Start practical on the 4Xe?
Sponsored

Dabrakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
If you are getting remote start simply to warm the engine for the engines sake then forget it. Yes it was beneficial for old carbureted engines but not now. The 30s it takes you to fasten your seatbelt and check the mirrors is enough and it will actually warm up faster driving (just don't floor it). If getting for cabin warmth then yes. Particularly with an EV/PHEV it is beneficial to warm the vehicle up while it is plugged in thus conserving 100% of your battery for range and cabin temperature maintenance.

BigLebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe 1999 Mazda Miata
Hi all, I'm close to buying a new 4Xe and wondering if the remote start is as important on the 4Xe as it is on the regular JL. I have a JK and use the remote start everyday to warm up the car for 30 seconds before I hop in and go. I can't remember the last time I used the heated seats and don't think I've ever used the heated steering wheel (I live in GA). So the cold weather group is not something I need, but the remote start is very useful.

I usually only use remote start to warm the engine (circulate oil) and not necessarily to heat the interior. I don't care about the remote app feature as I will not pay the subscription. Since most of the initial driving will be done via electric, I feel like remote start is not that useful on the 4Xe. I can add later for around $500-600 in parts and labor too. I've narrowed it down to two cars and one is $2k more and the only difference is it has the cold weather group. If it was only $1k, I'd go ahead and get it, but $2k seems like a lot for just remote start.

I use remote start on the daily this time of year, but it gets colder here than a toilet seat in an igloo. If isn't below a certain point, the ICE will not come on with remote start. For me I have noticed ~ -5 C (20 F) is the point where the ICE will come on. If you aren't seeing those temperatures, the remote start won't start the engine. If the only reason you spend the 2k is remote starting the engine, save your money. Maybe someone on here has a trick to getting the engine to come on above that point. There a quite a few guys smarter than I on here, but that has been my real world experience so far.

Slaphitter

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I use remote start to warm the cabin, seats and steering wheel and defrost the window when I park outside overnight in the cold. Warm-up has no meaning for the electric drivetrain. Warming up the motor is fine, but the computer also manages the pre-conditioning of the motor when it decides it’s needed, while you’re underway on electricity.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE

So the 4xe is different in the sense that it will take off in electric but warm the ICE at ~1800 rpms. So it’s strange driving around parking lots and neighborhoods with the rpms not in sync with the vehicle. So it is nice on cold days having the ICE warmed up already via remote start. But I only use that on very cold days. I got the cold weather package for the heated seats and the heated steering wheel. More often then not I'll use those before turning on the heater. They are nice to have in the summer with the top off and temps still in the 60s too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
I use remote start on the daily this time of year, but it gets colder here than a toilet seat in an igloo. If isn't below a certain point, the ICE will not come on with remote start. For me I have noticed ~ -5 C (20 F) is the point where the ICE will come on. If you aren't seeing those temperatures, the remote start won't start the engine. If the only reason you spend the 2k is remote starting the engine, save your money. Maybe someone on here has a trick to getting the engine to come on above that point. There a quite a few guys smarter than I on here, but that has been my real world experience so far.
I read that if you turn on the heater, the ICE will always turn on. So if you leave the heater on, shouldn't the remote start turn on the ICE?

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I read that if you turn on the heater, the ICE will always turn on. So if you leave the heater on, shouldn't the remote start turn on the ICE?
It depends upon the external & battery temperatures. Generally, since the heater takes a few kW of power, the transition from pure electric power to gas & electric is achieved at lower throttle inputs. That subtlety, however, is overridden by the temperatures.
Where I live & work, temperatures tend to stay in the mid 30's F with high humidity this time of year. Most days I use remote start to warm the cabin & condition the battery. The gas engine only turns on when the battery is very low or the temperatures are much colder (like 20F or less).

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
When I ordered mine, I ordered remote start but not cold weather. Kicking myself now, because it was only around $300 more at the time. I don't need heated seats and wheel in Florida, but for a few hundred, I should have added it. And I'll echo the praise of the electric heater, it is great having almost instant heat.

I do use remote start to start cooling down the Jeep during the summer. I'm not sure it's doing much, it still feels like getting into an oven when it's hot as balls here.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
Just like the rest, I use my remote start for 1-2 minutes of pre-conditioning the interior (heat or cold) before hopping in. It works pretty well, even when only relying on the electric components and not the engine. It's also nice that you can even remote-start the truck when it's plugged in to an EV charger. (Like others said, the engine is going to come on whenever it needs to, based on the weather, whether you remote started it or not.)

I wouldn't spend that much money just to get remote start though frankly. I got the Cold Weather Group primarily for the heated seats/steering wheel. I probably wouldn't have gotten remote start if it was a standalone option.

One other thing to keep in mind is resale value, if you don't think you'll hold onto your 4xe longterm ... I would guess most people want heated seats/steering wheel nowadays, since it's such a common feature. I think you'll get most of your money back on that upcharge at order time. But, not important necessarily if it's a lease or long-termer for you!

Sponsored

OP
OP

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
All great points. Thank you!

If anyone can comment, did you have to wait until the following year to claim the ev tax credit? I’m wondering if I buy before I file taxes this year can I claim it on this year’s return. Might just be wishful thinking I’m sure.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
All great points. Thank you!

If anyone can comment, did you have to wait until the following year to claim the ev tax credit? I’m wondering if I buy before I file taxes this year can I claim it on this year’s return. Might just be wishful thinking I’m sure.
The tax credit is for the year in which you bought the car. So buying in 2023 you’d claim it when you file 23 taxes in 24. (Unless you lease; different rules there.)

Keep an eye on the changing rules around the credits as well; don’t wait too long or the 4xe may not qualify anymore.

OP
OP

alex_navarro

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU
The tax credit is for the year in which you bought the car. So buying in 2023 you’d claim it when you file 23 taxes in 24. (Unless you lease; different rules there.)

Keep an eye on the changing rules around the credits as well; don’t wait too long or the 4xe may not qualify anymore.
I figured as much. Pretty much how every tax credit works. Oh well.

Yeah, definitely looking to buy before March 1 when the rules start changing.

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Colder fall weather and through winter I use my remote start. there are times I drive in my Semi and knowing ill be at the yard in 15 I would turn the remote start via the app to have the Jeep ready.
Even if my jeep is plugged in in the garage id still turn on the remote start.

Andy@AAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 4XE, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
UxS Engineer
Turning on the vehicle with it plugged in via remote start will allow the battery temperature system to warm or cool the battery for optimal performance using wall power prior to leaving. This can save some battery power in hot or cold weather.
Sponsored