Sponsored

Do you think we will ever see street legal JL half doors in Australia?

Do you think we will ever see JL half doors in Australia?

• Total voters

Muddog17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the JL 2 door Sport S - what more do I need!
Occupation
Self emplyed
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

With Summer coming - wouldn't some half doors be great!

I hope everyone is going okay and enjoying your JL.

Take care
Richard
Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I thought half door is legal. I only read from somewhere said driving without doors is illegal.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Half doors and tube doors are legal, more a case of actually getting some half doors without selling a kidney.

OP
OP
Muddog17

Muddog17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the JL 2 door Sport S - what more do I need!
Occupation
Self emplyed
Vehicle Showcase
yes I meant will we actually see them sold in Australia.

I am more interested in half doors than tube door. I don't really want to pay postage from America. This would make them too dear.

Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I am more interested in half doors than tube door. I don't really want to pay postage from America. This would make them too dear.
Even if the half doors get sold in Australia (which I doubt) they will most likely not fit into the affordable bracket for most people.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I don't really want to pay postage from America. This would make them too dear.
The re-seller would have paid freight and pass the cost onto you of course. Please don't assume they buy in bulk.

I wanted to get a Bestop Sunrider soft top locally but due to covid none of 3 outlets here could get them. I ordered direct from Quadratec in the US. It was cheaper by about $200 and it arrived 8 calendar days after I placed the order.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
It's also legal to drive without doors in Australia.
In N.S.W. it is not legal on a public road. Only on private property. I asked at a police station. At the time he quoted me the rule and provided the web address. Although I did not keep the record.

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
In N.S.W. it is not legal on a public road. Only on private property. I asked at a police station. At the time he quoted me the rule and provided the web address. Although I did not keep the record.
Would be interested to know what road reg they quoted because someone in NSW was defected and took it to court and won. See below the ADR requirements that apply to a TJ but would also apply to JK, JL and JT. The only thing you need to do is have mirrors. I don't have my JL with me today to check but apparently there was a sticker on the JK that said the roof and doors are only designed to keep the weather out, not for protection.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you think we will ever see street legal JL half doors in Australia? 1630979141056

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Would be interested to know what road reg they quoted because someone in NSW was defected and took it to court and won. See below the ADR requirements that apply to a TJ but would also apply to JK, JL and JT. The only thing you need to do is have mirrors. I don't have my JL with me today to check but apparently there was a sticker on the JK that said the roof and doors are only designed to keep the weather out, not for protection.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you think we will ever see street legal JL half doors in Australia? 1630979141056
Those ADRs changed and don't apply to anything after the TJ. He won because it was a 97 TJ, was heavily discussed in the Sydney Jeep Club when it was taken to court by one of our members. If you look through what's written above you can see most of those ADRs don't affect anything pre 2004, after that it would be a whole new battle, and probably wouldn't win.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Those ADRs changed and don't apply to anything after the TJ. He won because it was a 97 TJ, was heavily discussed in the Sydney Jeep Club when it was taken to court by one of our members. If you look through what's written above you can see most of those ADRs don't affect anything pre 2004, after that it would be a whole new battle, and probably wouldn't win.
I'm not a lawyer but I've had a look through the ADRs this morning.
  • 2/01 is the latest update but it still has an exception in the general requirements for detachable doors.
  • 29/00 still has the exemption for vehicles that comply with ADR 72/XX
  • 72/00 is still only applicable for vehicles with a seat point lower than 700mm
The only new ADR that might be affected is ADR 85/00 Pole Side Impact Performance as it discusses door latch and hinge integrity stating that the door shouldn't detach or come open as a result of the impact of the test. In the test procedure it says that the doors should be closed and latched but not locked but there are no provisions for vehicles without doors like in ADR 2/01.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Personally, I would never driving without doors…

I saw this news a while ago.. you can be fined if you don’t lock your doors

“NSW Police issue a bizarre $106 fine to a man for not locking the doors of his car”

:LOL: