Sponsored

Do you think Jeep/Stilantis will also be doing this as well?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The government will take care of the extortion on your Gas Guzzling, Gross Polluting CJ . The war on ICE is on fast track!
All this stuff about the ICE getting shutdown will itself get shutdown, probably soon. The people least able to pay for new cars are the ones being hit the hardest by $5/gal gas right now. The lefties want it to go to $10/gal, and it may happen within the next few years.

But, as soon as Al Sharpton says it's the "R word", this big push is over. You can't leave low/no income people without the ability to afford gas to get to work or the store for food and expect it will result in them buying a new vehicle. The eco-nazis are gonna get their axes handed to them over this.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
As an EE, I am sure there must be away around their stupid fees so that one can get the features that came with the car. I am not going to sign up or have anything where they are trying to extort me for $$$. If they add that crap to my JL (or any other vehicle) I'll either rip that stuff out of the JL and mail it back to them or I'll just drive my CJ. Let them try to figure out how to extort money out of a carbureted AMC 360. But first, they'll have to get past my two friends.

IMG_8693.JPG

You don't want to mess with their CJ.
Yeah, rip out anything that has a cellular link. I would think there's just one transceiver that all things come thru. The antenna is a good place to start.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Two of my Triplet Girls, bought 2021 Camry TRD and guess what, they had to go online to set up the remote start.
I was livid about that, now Toyota knows when they start their car, sounds like a carbon tax is coming next?

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I just came across this YouTube video and was surprised, but not surprised by this as an additional money grab from Toyota and who know how many other auto manufacturers. I hope they lose their butts on lost sales and current and future customers! This is also one time that I am very thankful for attorneys and hope numerous lawsuits are filed to stop this from happening from any auto manufacturer, Toyota or otherwise!

This is half the problem with society. Someone sees a YouTube video and accepts it as the truth.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Transmit and broadcast fees? Seems like the FCC should be looking at this.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I just came across this YouTube video and was surprised, but not surprised by this as an additional money grab from Toyota and who know how many other auto manufacturers. I hope they lose their butts on lost sales and current and future customers! This is also one time that I am very thankful for attorneys and hope numerous lawsuits are filed to stop this from happening from any auto manufacturer, Toyota or otherwise!

I guess you haven't seen this....
https://carbuzz.com/news/jeep-has-unique-vision-for-the-future-of-off-roading

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Wow. I used to be a Toyota fan boy. After how we were treated at three different Toyota dealerships and then this crap, screw that. I was going to get a RAV4 hybrid for our second vehicle to balance out the poor fuel economy my Jeep will get. Maybe I have to buy another Subaru instead.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
As someone else stated, where does it end? String a precedent here.

you want to use the gas pedal? $100/mo
You certainly want to be able to stop with the brake pedal, right? $200/mo
You want oxygen to flow into the car? We’ve created a vacuum so you don’t have to worry about getting the Rona. $500/mo

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Jeep already does something similar with UConnect as a subscription-based program. They do it with the built-in navigations units & updating the maps. I just received an email stating there are updated maps available for our navigation at the low, low price of only $149. They can push over-the-air updates to the vehicle, but they can’t update the maps unless you pay $149? There are also several other features in your audio headunit that are locked & you must pay the dealership to unlock them.

I added a rear camera to our ‘16 JKU and had to have the dealer unlock that feature (that was already there) in order to enable the camera. I noticed several other features in the Nav unit & the dealer said $150 ea to unlock those features.

The new remote start systems turn on the a/c & cooled seats or heat & heated seats/steering wheel if above/below a certain temp. They could easily disable those features and make them subscription based.

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep already does something similar with UConnect as a subscription-based program. They do it with the built-in navigations units & updating the maps. I just received an email stating there are updated maps available for our navigation at the low, low price of only $149. They can push over-the-air updates to the vehicle, but they can’t update the maps unless you pay $149? There are also several other features in your audio headunit that are locked & you must pay the dealership to unlock them.

I added a rear camera to our ‘16 JKU and had to have the dealer unlock that feature (that was already there) in order to enable the camera. I noticed several other features in the Nav unit & the dealer said $150 ea to unlock those features.

The new remote start systems turn on the a/c & cooled seats or heat & heated seats/steering wheel if above/below a certain temp. They could easily disable those features and make them subscription based.
Bottom line: If a car manufacturer sells you something in the beginning without indicating that it could become subscription based, then it would be unfair to consumers to do that later on. For instance, if Jeep were to include proximity lock/unlock as standard on a Rubicon you bought but then later said you had to pay a subscription, that would be bait and switch.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Doesnt surprise me, Toyota and their dealer body are the worst scumbags and their customers love getting bent over.

Toyota figures their loyal customers will pay it, so why not pimp them for another 100 a year for the remote start on their key fob which they already paid for LOL

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Doesnt surprise me, Toyota and their dealer body are the worst scumbags and their customers love getting bent over.

Toyota figures their loyal customers will pay it, so why not pimp them for another 100 a year for the remote start on their key fob which they already paid for LOL
This is what happens when a company takes a “what’s best for us” mentality. At the company I work for, one of the internal principles we live by is “customer first.” But so many companies focus on how they can increase profit rather than how they can better serve their customers.
Sponsored