Sponsored

Do you think Jeep/Stilantis will also be doing this as well?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Ok- had 4R for 16 years 7 months, at $25 a month = $5000. They give you the first 3 years but subscription increases would surely make up for it. Being perfectly capable of using a key they can “ Take This Fob and Shove It”!!!Especially a size XXXXX large Wrangler fob
Sponsored

abnormal4x4

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
What would stop customers from going to the local audio installers and buying a remote start aftermarket?
But that would seriously chap my ass if anybody did that.
Think about things the things they may charge a subscription for...what about the enhanced cruise control and all the safety features?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What would stop customers from going to the local audio installers and buying a remote start aftermarket?
But that would seriously chap my ass if anybody did that.
Think about things the things they may charge a subscription for...what about the enhanced cruise control and all the safety features?
Start small enough to get the concept accepted then begin adding. Marketing 101

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I can't see how this would be legal. These are options that you paid for when you bought the car. They can't turn around and say "Oh, you actually want to use those features that you already paid for? You need to give us more money then." Sorry, unless it is clearly stated up front, it would not be legal.

The only thing I could potentially see them getting away with charging for is integration though a phone app, lock/unlock, remote start, etc... With that type of functionality the manufacturer needs to maintain a server that is the communication link between your phone and the car. This would be providing a service, which they would have a right to charge for.

With remote start from a key fob there is no service provided. The fob is just a little radio transmitter, and there's a receiver in the car. Unless it was clearly sold as a service at the original point of sale they can't charge you for use.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't see how this would be legal. These are options that you paid for when you bought the car. They can't turn around and say "Oh, you actually want to use those features that you already paid for? You need to give us more money then." Sorry, unless it is clearly stated up front, it would not be legal.

The only thing I could potentially see them getting away with charging for is integration though a phone app, lock/unlock, remote start, etc... With that type of functionality the manufacturer needs to maintain a server that is the communication link between your phone and the car. This would be providing a service, which they would have a right to charge for.

With remote start from a key fob there is no service provided. The fob is just a little radio transmitter, and there's a receiver in the car. Unless it was clearly sold as a service at the original point of sale they can't charge you for use.
So they add “ remote start requires service fee” legalities covered

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
So they add “ remote start requires service fee” legalities covered
If it is clearly stated at time of purchase, they "may" be able to get away with it. If not clearly stated, there would be several angles to argue, bait and switch would be one. Unless they are providing a service, they can't charge you to use something you've already purchased.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Well not really clickbait, to update.

After 10 years and was labeled as misleading.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43329/toyota-made-its-key-fob-remote-start-into-a-subscription-service
They just added an update at the end of that article yesterday.

Update 12/11/2021 @ 2:20 pm ET: The story has been updated to clarify that the key fob's proximity-based radio frequency remote start function will not work without a paid subscription to Toyota's Remote Connect suite of connected services. The Drive regrets any confusion the original copy may have caused.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it is clearly stated at time of purchase, they "may" be able to get away with it. If not clearly stated, there would be several angles to argue, bait and switch would be one. Unless they are providing a service, they can't charge you to use something you've already purchased.
Absolutely, it could only be added to new vehicles with (service fee required) in the contract and they would have to be able to disable remotely if you don’t pay. I have heard of cars getting remote updates now so they likely can

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can live without any vehicle like that. Forever. Nobody will see a dime of my money if they have this crap.

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Absolutely, it could only be added to new vehicles with (service fee required) in the contract and they would have to be able to disable remotely if you don’t pay. I have heard of cars getting remote updates now so they likely can
How ironic. I just got either an email or text from who I am assuming was Jeep. The text or email said that there was an update available for my Jeep and it gave instructions on how to have the new update downloaded into the Jeep. I have not done it yet due to my insanely crazy work schedule but I’m officially on vacation this week so I may try and find the text or email, read the fine print in addition to anything else that they are suggesting to be read first and then if there’s no fishy business in the updates customer agreement, including in the fine print too, then I may download it into my Jeep.

I just hope and pray that Jeep hasn’t done anything like Toyota, GM and other auto manufacturers have just done with all of this subscription based, extortion nonsense to access certain features of my Jeep. And if they have, that will be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back for me. I already hate the eTorque stuff as well as the engine stop/start stuff and am still pretty pissed off about Jeep announcing the release of the 392 JLUR, and then the Extreme Recon package available on all 2021 JL Wranglers, after I had already ordered mine. But if suddenly one day, certain features on my Jeep stop working and I then get a text message and/or email stating that I now have to pay a monthly subscription to get those same features back, I am going to hit the roof because I never signed any contract or agreement stating that this could be done and I would be okay with it happening as well.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A
How ironic. I just got either an email or text from who I am assuming was Jeep. The text or email said that there was an update available for my Jeep and it gave instructions on how to have the new update downloaded into the Jeep. I have not done it yet due to my insanely crazy work schedule but I’m officially on vacation this week so I may try and find the text or email, read the fine print in addition to anything else that they are suggesting to be read first and then if there’s no fishy business in the updates customer agreement, including in the fine print too, then I may download it into my Jeep.

I just hope and pray that Jeep hasn’t done anything like Toyota, GM and other auto manufacturers have just done with all of this subscription based, extortion nonsense to access certain features of my Jeep. And if they have, that will be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back for me. I already hate the eTorque stuff as well as the engine stop/start stuff and am still pretty pissed off about Jeep announcing the release of the 392 JLUR, and then the Extreme Recon package available on all 2021 JL Wranglers, after I had already ordered mine. But if suddenly one day, certain features on my Jeep stop working and I then get a text message and/or email stating that I now have to pay a monthly subscription to get those same features back, I am going to hit the roof because I never signed any contract or agreement stating that this could be done and I would be okay with it happening as well.
Add MSD to the hate list, 392’s have cam issues reportedly caused by it and no on-off button because they take a MPG reduction if we’re given the option to turn it off! I don’t believe (hope) they can add subscription fees to cars where the options are in a signed contract but if they can find a work around they will jump on it

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
As an EE, I am sure there must be away around their stupid fees so that one can get the features that came with the car. I am not going to sign up or have anything where they are trying to extort me for $$$. If they add that crap to my JL (or any other vehicle) I'll either rip that stuff out of the JL and mail it back to them or I'll just drive my CJ. Let them try to figure out how to extort money out of a carbureted AMC 360. But first, they'll have to get past my two friends.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you think Jeep/Stilantis will also be doing this as well? IMG_8693.JPG

You don't want to mess with their CJ.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah— “ by downloading updates you agree to etc etc “ read all the fine print

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If they take away a free capability from vehicles already out there and make it a fee based use, they'll have Attorney Generals from every state after them. I would think any normal capability to start a vehicle would be off limits for fees. To me, I would think a remote FOB would be a free utility. Especially since they have all gone to push button ignitions. The phone based crap has been a fee within Onstar subscriptions for GM vehicles for some time now.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an EE, I am sure there must be away around their stupid fees so that one can get the features that came with the car. I am not going to sign up or have anything where they are trying to extort me for $$$. If they add that crap to my JL (or any other vehicle) I'll either rip that stuff out of the JL and mail it back to them or I'll just drive my CJ. Let them try to figure out how to extort money out of a carbureted AMC 360. But first, they'll have to get past my two friends.

Jeep Wrangler JL Do you think Jeep/Stilantis will also be doing this as well? IMG_8693.JPG

You don't want to mess with their CJ.
The government will take care of the extortion on your Gas Guzzling, Gross Polluting CJ . The war on ICE is on fast track!
Sponsored