Sponsored

Do you think Jeep/Stilantis will also be doing this as well?

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Subscriptions are here to stay. They are the new ways for companies to have 'recurring revenue' vs a one time purchase.

Let's not go crazy on things like airbags and brakes. They will never charge for those as its a safety feature (they replaced the air bags on my 2005 Dakota with 200k miles on it for free because of the government rules).

What they want is for you to get spoiled with upgraded features - remote unlock, remote start, self driving, etc. Tesla charges to enable to the autopilot option. If you don't get their top of the line model, you have to pay monthly to use their supercharger network.

As people have pointed out, you have to pay for SiriusGaurdian. Even XM radio!

From a business standpoint, its much more profitable to have monthly revenue coming in. How many of you out there have a streaming service of some kind? Say netflix - if you stop subscribing, you can't watch any more movies. Buy the dvd, watch it all you want.

Yes, they will start small and will start to expand. First remote start, then door unlocks, windows, etc.

There is something called planned obsolesce - look at cell phones. You can't use one from a few years back anymore it doesn't get upgraded. They'll do the same with cars. Oh, you want to unlock features of UConnect, well, you'll have to sign up for our monthly package. It'll happen, your new phone won't work with your radio (or at least not the cool features).

I won't pay for any of it though. I'm sure there will be a larger aftermarket for these things, they'll just charge less/month than the dealer (lookup filters as an example).
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Subscriptions are here to stay. They are the new ways for companies to have 'recurring revenue' vs a one time purchase.

Let's not go crazy on things like airbags and brakes. They will never charge for those as its a safety feature (they replaced the air bags on my 2005 Dakota with 200k miles on it for free because of the government rules).

What they want is for you to get spoiled with upgraded features - remote unlock, remote start, self driving, etc. Tesla charges to enable to the autopilot option. If you don't get their top of the line model, you have to pay monthly to use their supercharger network.

As people have pointed out, you have to pay for SiriusGaurdian. Even XM radio!

From a business standpoint, its much more profitable to have monthly revenue coming in. How many of you out there have a streaming service of some kind? Say netflix - if you stop subscribing, you can't watch any more movies. Buy the dvd, watch it all you want.

Yes, they will start small and will start to expand. First remote start, then door unlocks, windows, etc.

There is something called planned obsolesce - look at cell phones. You can't use one from a few years back anymore it doesn't get upgraded. They'll do the same with cars. Oh, you want to unlock features of UConnect, well, you'll have to sign up for our monthly package. It'll happen, your new phone won't work with your radio (or at least not the cool features).

I won't pay for any of it though. I'm sure there will be a larger aftermarket for these things, they'll just charge less/month than the dealer (lookup filters as an example).
We are on parallel wavelenghts here. You put it so much better than I could have.

Its happening in all industries. I worked for a manufacturer of key card locks for hotels. They would sell the sytem and never hear from the customer again. Now they sell/lease the system and sell blocks of nights of use per room. I worked for a HR Staffing company... they'd rather have someone on contract where there's a smaller but monthly revenue stream than do a prem placement and get a larger one time fee.

Auto manufacturers are just a bit late to the game... as usual.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I wouldn't have a problem with it if that were true, but according to that Toyota article:

Update 12/11/2021 @ 2:20 pm ET: The story has been updated to clarify that the key fob's proximity-based radio frequency remote start function will not work without a paid subscription to Toyota's Remote Connect suite of connected services. The Drive regrets any confusion the original copy may have caused.
Emphasis mine. Toyota requires a subscription just to get the line of sight function to work. If I owned a Toyota, I would...

Well, I would dump it and get a Jeep Wrangler, which I would do anyway, but I would be sure to give Toyota a piece of my mind on the way out. The nerve of those bastards!

If Stellantis pulls the same shit... Well.... I don't know, really. So far, it isn't really a concern, because I have a manual transmission anyway. But I would shift my manual transmission angrily, I guarantee you that! 😜
OK that sucks.
They gotta be prepared for a class action lawsuit as this has nothing to do with the APP itself but with the physical fob which came with the car which you ACTUALLY paid for all together. This is not gonna go well down the line. Aftermarket remote starts are cheap and avoid all this drama

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Try pressing the lock button three times on your key-fob, hold the button for about 3-4 seconds on the 3rd press and see if the vehicle starts. Ours does that but it usually takes a few attempts to get it to work.
I honestly tried but in the connected services app the remote start is not even there as an option., I heard it comes on the TRD PRO and the Limited, those with the "premium Audio" which has a Sub in the back just like the wranglers 8.4 Audio.

I was thinking of aftermarket some time in the near future.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So lets say they do implement this, does this mean they actually will have to train their techs to fix them when they break? Quality is still gonna be shit and if they manufacture something that needs to draw more revenue ...does it mean better quality? ha not betting on that! We all know that means you now will be waiting 3 to 4 months to have your nice new radio in your nice new jeep that you pay a loan on and a subscription fee for the radio that doesn't work! much like it is now but with more out of pocket!

Sponsored

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
Phone app based functionality requires back end IT infrastructure to work. That costs money.

SiriusXM Guardian is the service that Jeep offers to do app based remote unlock/start. It was free for the first year on my 2021 JLUR. I've not used it once. With proximity unlock you never need to pull out the FOB, you just need it on your body or carrying it in a purse/backpack. It is overly large, but it still fits nicely in my pocket.
Phone apps are an advertising tool used to generate brand loyalty and collect marketing data about their users. That's why most are free, including the Uconnect app.

I understand that I can carry the giant-assed fob around to achieve that functionality but I prefer not to when wading fast-flowing water. I already have enough things that I carry which are actually useful while on the water. A key fob isn't one of them. I was expecting that they would be able to match the capability of my 4-year old truck, which cost just a little over half the price of my JULR without me having to buy a subscription service in order to unlock the doors.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
OK that sucks.
They gotta be prepared for a class action lawsuit as this has nothing to do with the APP itself but with the physical fob which came with the car which you ACTUALLY paid for all together. This is not gonna go well down the line. Aftermarket remote starts are cheap and avoid all this drama
I doubt it since NOWHERE on the key-fob or in the owners manual is there ANY reference to having remote start. Now it would be a whole different ballgame if the customer paid for a remote start (other than the app operated type) and Toyota disabled it after the fact.
When we purchased the 4Runner the salesman was 100% clear the remote start was app based (and free for the first year then we’d have to pay a monthly fee) and made no mention whatsoever about the ability to start it remotely with the key-fob.
As far as I’m concerned if Toyota disabled ours we’re not out anything.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
I was looking at a 2022 Willys, because my 2019 is paid off and I can almost get MSRP for it(14000 miles) now just to get it right, to use the remote start, you have to pay a monthly fee?
Not jeep.
This is Toyota we are talking about but just talking about what happens if Stellanis goes down the same path in the future.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If they start pushing subscriptions to use basic features that have come with vehicles for over a decade or two I'll happily sell that vehicle, even if it's my beloved Jeep. I'm not paying a monthly fee for remote start (especially from the key fob, are you f-ing kidding me?), heated seats, cooled seats etc. That is seriously f-ed up. I will happily ride my pedal bike in -5F for 26 miles to work over that shit. Jeep's planned monthly software subscriptions can suck my d!@( too.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
This, right there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sponsored

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
I understand that I can carry the giant-assed fob around to achieve that functionality but I prefer not to when wading fast-flowing water. I already have enough things that I carry which are actually useful while on the water. A key fob isn't one of them.
This is what they want. Remember the old days when you actually had to put a key in a lock to unlock it? (and the key could get wet?). Now the fob takes over unlocking and starting it. And now you (we) don't even want a fob. So going key/fobless will cost you $ every month for the convenience

Not picking on you, its just a good example of companies getting people used to features and then soon enough will charge for them because it will become the norm to have those features.

I don't like it, but I do admit its a good revenue model. Even MS doesn't allow you to buy Office anymore - its a subscription.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
While this is silly. It’s not that big of a deal. Depending on which package you have you get a 3 or 10 year free trial. Most people don’t keep a vehicle that long. I personally do, but for the masses this isn’t going to affect them at all.
You think this is temporary? I think it’s more of principal than it is tolerance. If people allow this to happen more, then when does it stop? They already want to enforce putting breathalyzers on every new car as standard feature. What’s next? Imagine they mandate a feature if you drive too fast GPS can calculate your speed and cutback speed as your gas is already drive-by-wire throttle. How about door locks that can be controlled by local feds. The more digital they get, the less control you have of a vehicle you paid for. It then begs the question, “what will be so unique about owning a specialty vehicle if they are all the damn same?”

Last edited:

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I don't like it, but I do admit its a good revenue model. Even MS doesn't allow you to buy Office anymore - its a subscription.
I predict that it will prove to be every bit as popular as red-light cameras.

I switched from MS to Libre Office years ago.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD

People will get used to it. M$ is one of the most valuable tech companies out there - because of this revenue model.

Everyone is used to subscription now - XM radio, Pandora, Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, Hello Fresh, list goes on. This is the new business model and everyone eventually will get on the train.

To those that say "not me. never". I ask, what are you driving now? Why aren't you driving a 1970s no tech car? Eventually parts will not be consumed in mass quantities and they'll be relegated to collections, antiques or people that just want them. There are not enough people who are willing to not buy a new car to influence the auto makers. The average consumer will shrug and pay up.

Case in point - 2dr Wranglers. Why don't get get all the cool options? Because the mass market is in grocery getters and mall crawlers. And that's who Stellantis sells to.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Individual consumers aren’t Microsoft’s target demographic. Enterprise is. And as someone who has worked across a few and utilized MS’s sub service, I can tell you it’s excellent Z worth every penny. Updated frequently.
Software being updated is a little different convo than hardware rent-seeking, but thought I’d weigh in.
Sponsored