Sponsored

Do you think Jeep/Stilantis will also be doing this as well?

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
When it comes to free market vs big government regulation I will definitely lean toward free market every time. Though I do agree some level of regulation is need to curb corporate greed. There is more than enough consumer protection regulation in place to handle this situation. You just need to make enough noise so someone will hear and listen to you.

Courts are also based on legal precedents in past cases. What law or legal precedent is there that states it's ok for a manufacturer to charge you a fee to use something that you have already bought and paid for?
I dont disagree with you at all, AV. My point was that people who identify as hating govt interference in general look odd when they immediately demand that courts protect them from corporate abuse...or worse, conflate corporate greed AND govt intervention, as happened upthread. Some folks call that "house cat syndrome".

I got no dog in the fight about remote start. I bought my jeep with the fewest electronic options possible. Where I live, I never even take the fob out of the vehicle, !et alone lock it. (Sure, come steal it. It's parked within shotgun range of my bedroom)

I do agree that unilaterally changing an existing agreement with a prior customer SHOULD be bad. But if what's going on is that a company is saying, "we used to provide this service for free, but now we're going to charge you for it", well, that might not be so clear.
Sponsored

RLC2020

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU
So basically, the $60k new toyota tundra doesn't have remote start. That would be my angle with the sales guy. Oh, its a subscription? So it doesn't have a key fob is what you're saying to me then? So a $60k plus vehicle doesn't have a key fob?

When they start with the subscription b.s. I'd tell them that they just lost a sale. If enough people do that then they will change their ways...

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
So basically, the $60k new toyota tundra doesn't have remote start. That would be my angle with the sales guy. Oh, its a subscription? So it doesn't have a key fob is what you're saying to me then? So a $60k plus vehicle doesn't have a key fob?

When they start with the subscription b.s. I'd tell them that they just lost a sale. If enough people do that then they will change their ways...
It'd also probably happen if enough people just didnt even WANT/need remote start...as in, "no I dont want that option. Got one without? No? OK, just disable it on this one." But I guess that's unrealistic.

BTW...what's everyone paying for nav systems and sat-radio?

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd

…and people wonder why used 90’s cars are appreciating in value so much. Honestly, the best advice I can give anyone is, find a clean roller that is 25+ years old and put some money in it to modernize it and enjoy. The manufacturers these days are handcuffed by government. If not, study the CANbus system of a modern car, and you can just about do anything you want with it. Being a software engineer, I can tell you with confidence that if something is electrically controlled (computer, relay, solenoid, sensor, etc…) it can be defeated/bypassed. It’s all input/output! 12volt automotive systems are super easy to learn, just takes time and a little imagination and you can literally make your car do whatever you want.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L

This Wall Street Journal video covers many angles on the subscription services trend in the auto industry. Curiously enough the vehicle that WSJ shows as the graphics eye candy is a Wrangler.

Sponsored

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Yes. And if you think for a moment you will find that I was not the one who introduced MS into the thread, which is exactly what I stated. Microsoft Office wasn't my analogy. I merely responded to someone else's analogy. If you want to say it's a poor analogy, tell the person who made it.

Reading is fundamental. Comprehension takes a little more effort.
lol I’m not concerned if you’re the reason MS was brought into the thread.

But you did use it as an example of a subscription model that drove you to a competitor. And that was a larger discussion about if subs are bad.

Only pointing out that subs for MS actually make sense, and more so specifically for enterprise.

cheers

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
They ( all manufacturers) will try and sneak this in, it's too big a money maker to leave on the ground.
What we, the buying public, needs to do is CHARGE THEM FOR THE VAST AMOUNT OF PERSONAL DATA they are Hoovering up, totally FREE. This data is worth Trillions, wake up, people.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
No need to worry about that, Uconnect/Guardian services don't work on the best of days

milesjj_20

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I was ready to order a Willys with the 8.4 in screen and all the "goodies," only to recently find out they are all subscriptions I would have to pay for to use the features, including the Wi-fi.

Sponsored

NYJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was ready to order a Willys with the 8.4 in screen and all the "goodies," only to recently find out they are all subscriptions I would have to pay for to use the features, including the Wi-fi.
Yeah, I’m about to order a Rubicon, which now comes standard with the 8.4 screen and that whole package. The bigger screen & premium audio system are nice, but would I get this if it wasn’t standard? Doubtful. Just don’t think it’s worth it.

That said, I do think there’s a difference between charging a subscription fee for something like WiFi/SiriusXM vs. a remote starter that’s installed on your key fob. There’s an ongoing cost to them to provide the former but the latter is just paying to use hardware that’s already installed on your car.

milesjj_20

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Yeah, I’m about to order a Rubicon, which now comes standard with the 8.4 screen and that whole package. The bigger screen & premium audio system are nice, but would I get this if it wasn’t standard? Doubtful. Just don’t think it’s worth it.

That said, I do think there’s a difference between charging a subscription fee for something like WiFi/SiriusXM vs. a remote starter that’s installed on your key fob. There’s an ongoing cost to them to provide the former but the latter is just paying to use hardware that’s already installed on your car.
That's true. I ended up with a HA and it also came with 8.4 standard, but I am still glad I didn't fork over a lot of money for something that was short term.
Sponsored