Sponsored

Do you think it's true? It is for me... but I wonder if others are just jawing and wouldn't really make the purchase. I'm talking about the...

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Aint nothing like hearing a diesel come thru…. It makes you turn your gear-head.

makes you wonder… why arent dump trucks DSG/dual clutch/auto-magic??? Or gasoline?? Huh.
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
In my humble opinion, modern automatics technically blow manuals out of the water. They shift faster and smoother, feature lower driveline stresses, driver doesn't have to think about it. It is also my opinion automatics are boring to drive.

Cummins R2.8 powered 2-door manual with 4.88s. Come on Jeep. Just build it!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I'll give up driving stick when they make a flying vehicle like the Jetsons.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Driving a stick is just a novelty for me, takes me back to my younger days growing up. For me there was nothing better then to look into my Chevy Hot Rod Cars of the 60's and see that 4-speed stick on the floor, it made me tingle all over again. A hot date made me tingle too, but that's another topic. Driving a stick has nothing to do with faster shifting, fuel mileage, or the ease of operation, it's a driving thing. For me it's a "cruising thing", has nothing to do with operation of the vehicle, has to do with yester year and reliving the way it was and the fun of driving.

trainman

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
I've always been a manual trans guy, for decades, but at this point I see sticking to a manual is like holding back the tide. I made the switch to auto for the following reasons:
  1. The auto trans are a lot better than they used to be. They now adapt to and anticipate your driving style so you fight them much less often.
  2. Resale. The amount of people capable of driving a manual is decreasing every day.
  3. EVs do not require a manual trans. What incentive does a young driver have to learn how to operate a manual? Nostalgia. That's it (at least how they tend to see it). The youth is by and large fully intent on leaving the manual trans behind.
  4. Automated driving requires an auto trans. ACC on a auto trans will bring you from 75 to a dead stop and back to 75 again. Can't do that on a manual. It's only going to become more automated, which means a manual trans will only become more alien.
  5. My off-road is mostly slow driving over rocky terrain. An auto just handles it better, easier and with no clutch burning scent.
  6. An auto trans can achieve much better MPG than I can with a manual. I must concede to that.
So I hear ya, I get it, but the manual trans driver is a dying breed. So I'm not surprised that manufacturers are not interested in offering it.
Those of us that prefer shift stick do not need lectures about automatics . We have been around for few decades driving all kinds of cars.The very sad fact is that FCA provided us with totally defective clutch and now they are trying to fix this embarrassing and expensive problem with fake recalls where they reprogram the computer to decrease engine power and hope fewer clutches will fail in the process . It's disgusting .

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
One reason manuals are disappearing is government intervention. The EPA and NHTSA grossly increased requirements on manufacturers. This drove the cost of certifying manuals for sale through the roof. Since they were already becoming a smaller portion of the market as automatics progressed, most manufacturers have dropped them accelerating the demise, reducing the number of manuals offered. Dumbing down driving for your "benefit" like mandatory back up cams, tpms, etc etc etc

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Those of us that prefer shift stick do not need lectures about automatics . We have been around for few decades driving all kinds of cars.The very sad fact is that FCA provided us with totally defective clutch and now they try to fix this embarrassing and expensive problem with fake recalls where they reprogram the computer to decrease engine power and hope fewer clutches will fail in the process . It's disgusting .
You lost me. Why do I not need lectures about automatics?

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Honestly, no,I wouldn't buy a diesel manual. For background, I'm a pretty diehard manual fan. I've only bought one auto vehicle (truck during college, I wasn't in any position to be picky) out of 8 I've owned.

However, I think there are two big negatives to the diesel in the jeep, weight and the complexity/unreliability of modern diesels. The 3.6 is a great engine and I don't think some extra low end torque is going to offset adding 500 lbs to the nose of the vehicle.
Sponsored